Mr Polson

Tyre Care

Hey guys

Wondering how people care for their tyres?

Specifically ones with raised white lettering.

I have some Mastercraft Avengers on my ute, and the white lettering, especially on the front, are more brown/grey now.

I've tried just scrubbing them with soapy water/car wash etc, but its just not working.

Also any tricks on keeping the black sidewall shiny without having to use spray on tyre shine like every second/third day?

The cheaper tyre shines and all those spray on ones really for that matter, cause the browning of the tyre.  In the days when I used to show the woody I only used Mcguires tyre gel.  It has an awesome shine and lasts a lot longer than spray on stuff and does not brown the tyres.

Try some cheap arse GP thinners on a rag to get the brown coating off.  Once you have done that you can try the gel or back in the real early days - in talking 70's-80's we used Kiwi black boot polish.  I remember dad teaching me to do it as a young fella.  applied same as you would to a pair of boots and buffed off the same way - probably why a silicon based spray on tyre shine was invented.  Not a particularly fun job but when you are a kid into cars you loved it. 

I run my own home based detailing business. Here, have a look at my suppliers site, awesome products, prices and Dan is super helpful.

http://www.woodywax.com.au/

Yes a water based dressing, it won't last as long but won't make your tyres brown either.

Try the HD tyre gel, it's brilliant.

I use Australian Export tyre shine, looks better than the other cheap ones and lasts ok but does build up that brown coating, attracts dirt. Used to use the foam stuff on my parents car when I detailed it because they bought it, I don't think it lasted 24 hours. The white lettering paint pens from Supercheap etc don't last too well, flakes off. I bought a bottle of Mothers Tire Shine from Repco's chuck out bin for $2, must've been a dud batch or something.

Thanks for all the responses guys! Ando's earlier suggestion of thinners got me thinking, so I checked the shed, no thinners, but did have some W&G Remover, so tried that. Results are below.

Now just to figure out how to keep them clean, and blacken the sidewall. Will post up pics when I do the black.

Before

vu6yje7y.jpg

After

a6azu9eh.jpg

Pro tip.. to get ur raised white lettering nice and bright use some 240grit paper on a flat block. The white lettering is actually a layer of white rubber under the the black that is machined back off to expose the white layer where its raised. Be sure to clean your tyres well before you do it but as you will mark the fresh rubber trying to scrub the muck off the black afterward.

I love Auto Glym Instant Tyre Dressing for my tyres. It's in a squirt bottle like Armor All and I spray it onto a clean rag then apply to the tyre. It saves having tyre shine all over your shiny alloy mags and the tyres look nice and shiny for a long period of time

If anyone is interested in a water based tyre shine, Wax IT sells a great tyre shine totally water based which can be sprayed on whitewalls and standard tyres. It gives a nice matt shine.

I have the same tyres on both my cars. i just spray the whole tyre with cheapo tyre shine and then hit the letters with some fine steel wool and then a clean rag. If you dont have the steel wool then fold up a square of aluminum foil into a little pad and scuff it up on the concrete. Once scuffed up just rub the letters like you would with the steel wool

normally i use the steel wool but the other day i was knocking some rust off a set of 12 slotters with aluminium foil and after i finished tried it on the letters and it worked a treat

Wheel cleaner like the ArmourAll, or IronX, seems to clean the brown off tyres.

I'm pretty sure it's the silicone which turns brown with UV light.

I've seen enough roof and gutter silicone, turn brown around decktites etc, from doing Solar.

Foaming non-silicone tyre shine is what I use, which works great.

Gives a natural black finish.

I used to use a home brand IGA foam, but now use the armourall foam.

I would like to try some pro stuff eventually though.

I use hot soapy water and a bannister brush,then Maguires tire gel just to spruce em up. Only problem is the tyre gel smells like Bubblegum and makes me want to eat some.....

Jack.

At least your poop will have a nice shine to it! Kinda gives new meaning to the saying " can't shine a turd"!!

I use hot soapy water and a bannister brush,then Maguires tire gel just to spruce em up. Only problem is the tyre gel smells like Bubblegum and makes me want to eat some.....

Jack.

Jeez Jack, I used to use that all the time when I was 18. You just took me back 15 years, can still smell it now.