mcfly94

250-300hp Crossflow

260,000km completely stock bottom end with a VERY big solid camshaft that did 7200rpm in top gear and then drove home under it's own power.

20130309_122308_zps9b49d92e.jpg

Yes they can take ALOT of punishment.

260,000km completely stock bottom end with a VERY big solid camshaft that did 7200rpm in top gear and then drove home under it's own power.

20130309_122308_zps9b49d92e.jpg

Yes they can take ALOT of punishment.

Oh i thought you killed that bottom end? if not sweet :)

mcfly - spark scatter occurs due to the load placed on the distributor shaft by the oil pump and harmonics from everything in the engine, including the fast spinning cam shaft.  This causes irregular spark at high rpm as the position of the pick up or trigger within the dizzy changes.  This is also a problem with XE dizzys and the inside chopper wheel can contact the outside and lead to a big miss.  This is particularly bad when people run high volume oil pumps which causes accelerated wear on the single dizzy bush. 

The proof is in the pudding with both Jason and Wazzy running crank trigger.  I would be running one on my speedway car if I was not so afraid of damage to the sensor and wheel caused by flying debris.  I have tried to cure this with all sorts of mud flaps and the like but still the damn rocks get in there.  Its amazing where they end up.  Kev Wyatt has built a crank trigger system that runs off the flex plate which would cure the debris issue.  I just need to pick his brains on how he achieved this.  He believes that scatter is a real issue in these motors and like Wazzy I have seen it for myself on the dyno. 

If you plan on reving past 6000 rpm regularly it is worth looking at - but really you would need to balance the engine internally, as well as a good balancer to keep it together in the long term.   

Oh yeah definitely a good balancer and internally balanced! i want to go ati super damper.

Love to know exatcly whats involved with setting up crank trigger and wiring.

exactly and you'll end up with a post that tl;dr.

But basically you bolt on a 36:1 trigger wheel with a hall sensor. install an ECU or IGN computer to read the signal

the wheel has to be installed at a certain degree on the crank to know position information. then your able to run waste spark coil per plug

If you want full sequential you'll need a cam angle sensor so the computer knows if its a compression or exhaust stroke.

could an msd street fire read the signal?

what you mean by running waste spark coil per plug? thats not cop is it? I still want to run single coil.

I'm weighing up options about throwing my clevo into my FE but this thread has me a little captivated. I would prefer to give the LPG the flick and just run 98. I'm going club rego asap as I barely drive it. Anyone running these kind of setups with EFI of any type?

Are you talking going for the Clevo? Well EFI is harder on the clevo cos there was no factory EFI manifold how ever nothing is impossible but if it is a weekend only car just run it on a carby and use petrol.Limited use means no fuel issues cos you don't drive it everyday.

As EFI xflows there everywhere...

No, in Vic clevo in FE must be gas. What I meant was this thread is tempting me to keep the crossy. No engineers hassles, no LPG. As mine is EFI and all combos mentioned so far have been carb I was curious if anybody has done any sort of EFI setup.

I ran the stock regraphed dizzy up to 6200RPM. I didn't notice anything until i stepped up the combo, then i changed to the crank trigger set up.This thread is about a 300HP crossflow. IMO you dont need this kind of set up for a 300HP engine.With a stock bottom end, 40 thou pistons, mild head and 246@50 cam and MSD 6AL it had 308HP(flywheel) @ 5800RPM ran 13.1@103MPH all day. Totally safe combo for the street. The bottom line is, work out want you want for the car. Street or Drag. There is no in between IMO.

th_P1000511.jpg

Cheers Wazzy

I ran the stock regraphed dizzy up to 6200RPM. I didn't notice anything until i stepped up the combo, then i changed to the crank trigger set up.This thread is about a 300HP crossflow. IMO you dont need this kind of set up for a 300HP engine.With a stock bottom end, 40 thou pistons, mild head and 246@50 cam and MSD 6AL it had 308HP(flywheel) @ 5800RPM ran 13.1@103MPH all day. Totally safe combo for the street. The bottom line is, work out want you want for the car. Street or Drag. There is no in between IMO.

th_P1000511.jpg

Cheers Wazzy

it will be street no matter what, but yeah getting heaps of info about it! thanks!

No, in Vic clevo in FE must be gas. What I meant was this thread is tempting me to keep the crossy. No engineers hassles, no LPG. As mine is EFI and all combos mentioned so far have been carb I was curious if anybody has done any sort of EFI setup.

Crazy is still EFI Jase TF-250 is EFI Wazzy is EFI mechanical.Yes you can go custom EFI manifold or use a E series BBM and a MS computer. 

EFi is a real option, Just gotta get your Nerd on and fork out a little extra cash and time to get it done. Instead of getting a carby, your getting an ECU, injectors, Laptop, custom manifold and trying to make it all work together. But when you have it all sorted you get the tunability and extra functions provided by the ECU that can allow the engine to outperform a carby setup if you get it right. IF you get it right. Don't wanna scare you away from it, JOIN USSsssss. Just gotta put that bit extra into it and you need to be prepared for that.

Deep down we all know EFI is better anyway =P

Aaside from having the cash to throw at it I think I can achieve that if I go that way. I know a guy who can build the donk and tune it if need be.

Thanks for the answers guys. Definitely food for thought.

I'd argue that for outright power not much between either.  Efi much better for drivability though and part throttle cruise.  Much easier to get efi running with a big cam around town than carby if you got a big cam.

You can get 200 rwhp out of the efi shit, but the manifold is the limiting factor.  The factory manifold is very restrictive.

EL computer, wiring, quarterhorse/ti performance J3 chip and you're laughing.

Guest esp1122

The 300hp one has been done to a tee by a guy over here for his daughters xf and it did work out well for them and on the money, thats the only one i know that is on the road.

That motor only had the crow 1550s speedway cam too. It made power to 5200rpm with a 600 holley and made around 220rwhp. Another one with the 650 cam made 244rwhp @ 5500rpm with only 9.8:1 comp as it was built for the 1550s cam first off.

slydog's cortina sounds impressive i hat to admit. Fair enough it's a light car and has a seriously short diff ratio, but the numbers are impressive non the less.

slydog's cortina sounds impressive i hat to admit. Fair enough it's a light car and has a seriously short diff ratio, but the numbers are impressive non the less.

Slydogs cortina????? Where lol

Sounds like there is plenty of options to look at, would love to put some of these go fast bits on my xf once I get my new diff in. Seems that no one has suggested fuel supply to achieve these figures. I'm guessing a stock mechanical fuel pump won't cut it.