Sign in to follow this  
RAWDEAL

E7 Efi 302w , Cam Selection?

I have a an Efi 302w in my xb at the moment , Its from a 94' Dc Ltd.

i want to swap out the timing chain setup for a double roller, and i might as well do the cam at the same time then haha

What cams have people had good experiences with? 

What sorta power can be made with these shit heads?

I am planning on building a forged motor for boost , so this engine is pretty much just to fill in that gap, not to worried about driveablilty as i dont drive the car to much

Do these engines come standard with roller rockers?

just swap for GT40Ps, probably find some with some port work for $800 now, you'll need to change the manifold too. probably going to cost you about $1500 all up to do both once its all said and done.

absolutely no point putting a cam in with those heads n intake. put 3.7s in the diff instead.

Leave it and just boost it. not worth messing around with those junk heads

Seems like this might be the go lol..

Was sorta hoping for a bit of a cammy idle and a few more rpms to play with

Have a torker 2 manifold on it atm

Will be boosting it later , which is why i figured to change the timing chain, when it gets boost i recon my shift points might go up a bit lol

In the mean time it Saves me camming it and being disapointed

More money towards alloy heads i guess

Are any of the earlier heads any good 289/302 heads?

The cam chain standard us a roller type, not like the old clevo ones.

You could get a set of 1.7 ratio bolt on roller rockers. I wouldn't bother sourcing any old 289/302 heads, you aren't gaining anything, unless some ones already spent money on them.

Read up on the 5.0 mustang websites, it will blow your mind what the yanks do. One of the best cams for boost, off the shelf is the f303 ford racing.

Just leave it and save up for the forged motor.Use this engine as the mock up one and test mule.The E7 heads handle boost ok.Chuck a decent size turbo on it and exhaust and will easilly make 250rwkw.

The cam chain standard us a roller type, not like the old clevo ones.

You could get a set of 1.7 ratio bolt on roller rockers. I wouldn't bother sourcing any old 289/302 heads, you aren't gaining anything, unless some ones already spent money on them.

Read up on the 5.0 mustang websites, it will blow your mind what the yanks do. One of the best cams for boost, off the shelf is the f303 ford racing.

I've seen either type of timing chain in roller 5.0l's, I know a few people who run the motorsport 303 and they seem to be happy with it

Just leave it and save up for the forged motor.Use this engine as the mock up one and test mule.The E7 heads handle boost ok.Chuck a decent size turbo on it and exhaust and will easilly make 250rwkw.

Forged motor is a fair ways off. I want to smash this stupid debt i have off this year 13k left.. Then comes the motor

If the standard cam sucks to much ill prolly order the cam and springs , 400$ aus delivered from summit which is pretty good i recon

there's nothing wrong with the standard cam, it is possible with the right heads and intake to make 400HP nat asp with it, engines masters magazine did it a few years ago, but they had to rev it to 7700 rpm and it lost a but of low down torque, there.are better cams out there, if I was you I would just get a set of 1.7 ratio rockers and a decent set of valve spring the throw some boost at it

there's nothing wrong with the standard cam, it is possible with the right heads and intake to make 400HP nat asp with it, engines masters magazine did it a few years ago, but they had to rev it to 7700 rpm and it lost a but of low down torque, there.are better cams out there, if I was you I would just get a set of 1.7 ratio rockers and a decent set of valve spring the throw some boost at it

Ive also heard the standard cam is ok, but i heard that was the mustangs not our cars ? 

Ill definitly need valve springs and roller rockers , thought i may as well change the cam for the extra 200$*

I've heard this too about the cams, whereas the main restriction on these engines is in the heads themselves. Hence the hi-po Tickfords using the GT40 heads. The rest of the motor is good for 300 hp but then the block starts to become suss. Cracks around bore to cam tunnel apparently. I wouldn't lean on one with the boost too much.

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/116_0307_ford_302_v8_engine_buildup/

This is the 400hp 302w with just afr 165 heads, 1.7 rockers and 6200rpm. There has been alot of talk about this article on the mustang forums.

If replacing the heads and manifolds, may as well do a decent cam, the original is about 444 in lift and around 266 total duration.

There is another article of the junk yard 302w with a cam and head package that made over 500hp at some stupid rpm of about 8000rpm. I'll find it.

I've heard this too about the cams, whereas the main restriction on these engines is in the heads themselves. Hence the hi-po Tickfords using the GT40 heads. The rest of the motor is good for 300 hp but then the block starts to become suss. Cracks around bore to cam tunnel apparently. I wouldn't lean on one with the boost too much.

As for the weak block theory. i plan to blow that out of the water

Or the block outta the engine bay haha

If your worried about the heads.Checkout the boys in the US they run some quick turboed mustangs still running the E7 heads.Honestly if your trying to pay off a loan,leave the motor and just cruise around in it and the loan will get paid off quicker then the forged motor will be here sooner.

If your worried about the heads.Checkout the boys in the US they run some quick turboed mustangs still running the E7 heads.Honestly if your trying to pay off a loan,leave the motor and just cruise around in it and the loan will get paid off quicker then the forged motor will be here sooner.

Thats my intention,  gotta get a MSD to run the dizzy, other than that , that's all i really need to run it . Im sure there will be niggling issues to deal with. After a while ill buy some pipes and fabricate everything , ive already got the turbo

I can afford a cam kit in the short term , but i cant afford the forged motor for a while lol, unsure what block ill use

I might end up just grabbing the f303 cam kit anyways its 400$ , at the very least ill need valve springs for the 'temporary' motor when it gets boost