Sign in to follow this  
hendrixhc

Trans coolers

OK some questions for the more knowledgeable.

What size should you use on a FMX behind a clevo?

Mounted vertical or horizontal?

Fluid feed direction? top to bottom or vice versa?

Good brands, bad brands?

What Line and fitting sizes?

Theres so many different ones available and they vary on price form $39 to $799. dont mind paying a bit for one but dont want to spend a mozza if a cheaper unit will do.

Use convection to your advantage and work with it... Hot in the top and cool out of the bottom, just like on a radiator. Hang it in the breeze for most effectiveness. Most coolers use a 3/8" hose but if you want you can step it up to any size you want. It's not high pressure, most tranny coolers run at lube pressure, say 30 psi max. EFI fuel hose is sufficient. This size hose would probably cycle the entire oil capacity of your box in less than a minute. The biggest source of heat in an auto is the converter, so depending on whether you're towing, doing burnouts, driving at high speed or drag racing will determine how big you want it to be. The more load, the more heat generated in the oil. Pretty simple. You should aim for a max temperature of about 80 deg, any more will break down the oil much more quickly. Run it past 120 deg and it will be stuffed in less than 20,000 ks. Keep the oil a nice strawberry topping colour and your tranny will love you for it. I reckon 1 foot square of cooler would be plenty big enough. Those sneaky ones that are long and skinny and only loop back once can go along the bottom of the radiator for minimum interference.

Agreed +1.

I always fit a trans cooler to any automatic I buy, even a shitbox 4 cyl.  Have got one on my FMX, just a 300mm square one from Auto parts shop.

Think it was $99 bux. Stuck it in front of rad, no probs. Heat kills trannies, (and batteries), so any one is a good one.

Thanks for the replies guys. Wanna get one real soon and get that part of the build all squared away.

Wasnt quite sure of the pressure levels. They seem to be advertised as any where between 25 and 200psi ratings.

Use correct trans cooler line . DO NOT USE FUEL LINE .  It will go spongy and fain in no time .

I like the PWR 280 x 250 x 19 and have proven they work well on a few different transmissions fitted with temp gauges

Derale is another that I have used works good

If the rubber isn't oil resistant, it will swell up and bulge, better off getting trans cooler hose. Braided hose will help stop the swelling of the rubber, but it will still deteriorate inside and the rubber goo will pass through your trans.

The hose i was sold is Gates 6C6H 3/8 SAE 100R6.

Rated at 400psi working pressure & 1600psi minimum burst pressure.

-40C to +135C

One fibre braid.

http://www.jgbhose.com/static/600190.asp

Can you please tell me if this is adequate, i don't want any problems in the future. 

Thanks in advance.

Cheers, MNTL.XD.

If it says "oil resistant" it'll do the job. Hydraulic oil, power steer, trans cooler.....

Fuel line will do the job, for a short time only. (I always carry half a metre of 5/16" fuel line and 2 hose clamps when on holidays.)

Remember, carbies only run at 5-8 psi, EFI can run at over 100 psi, vacuum hose is designed to resist collapsing, not pressure, and always be good to your Mum.. B)

R6 hose will be fine for tranny cooler. I sell this at work and run it on my own car as well with no probs. Its great stuff but no good sor being submersed in fuel.

If it says "oil resistant" it'll do the job. Hydraulic oil, power steer, trans cooler.....

Fuel line will do the job, for a short time only. (I always carry half a metre of 5/16" fuel line and 2 hose clamps when on holidays.)

Remember, carbies only run at 5-8 psi, EFI can run at over 100 psi, vacuum hose is designed to resist collapsing, not pressure, and always be good to your Mum.. B)

R6 hose will be fine for tranny cooler. I sell this at work and run it on my own car as well with no probs. Its great stuff but no good sor being submersed in fuel.

Thanks guys, best safe than sorry. 

PS. I'm always good to my Mum. lol.