Sign in to follow this  
Banno

cooling system

Would it be a fair assumption to say that my thermostat in my XE is stuffed. Found that now when car warms up it goes 3/4 before thermostat opens, when before it used to only go to half way then drops.

It also sits at 1/2 way at highway speed and a little over 1/4 around town, before it sat 1/4 at highway and just under 1/4 at town.

Check timing and all good and everything else and not losing coolant though have put extractors on thats the only change.

Car has done 3000 km in 8-9 months so also thinking radiator may need good flushing though feel no cold spots. 

Sounds more like a cooling system blockage, or a gauge inaccuracy.

I hear thermostats can get stuck open or closed, but never heard of one opening at different temps.

How does temp look in traffic on a hot day?

Yeah the thermostat could be coroded & not opening properly. Its easy & cheap to replace. Just watch that hollow bleeder bolt on the housing, they snap off real easy if you give it too much!

While ur at it replace the sender too cheap & easy.

A cooling system flush is always a good idea done properly & use new correct coolant fluid.

i recommend nulon green coolant from crossflows, it's a semi organic so is good for non fully submerged systems (ie, the crossflow)<br /><br />Give it a good flush as people have already mentioned.<br /><br />CHECK your thermostat before installing it. Put it in a pot of water and bring it slowly to the boil, check the temperature it opens and make sure it is within specification. i have had a thermostat kill an engine before when it was dodgy brand new right out of the packet, and didnt open till the engine was VERY hot, then when it opened the cold water went into a very hot engine and warped the head from the sudden change in temp.<br /><br />ALL my thermostats i do this too now, It improves the accuracy and response, I personally recommend this mod for all thermostats on a crossflow:

41LvUbSXOqL_SL500_-1.jpg

Yep what Mr Polson said, allows air bubbles to get past while the thermostat is still closed.

Might even allow a small amount of coolant to trickle through, can't be a bad thing. Some other companies have a hole like that on their OEM thermostats.

I don't suppose one can get a thermostat through ford still?

Only just realised crazy said its a mod, the thermostat in my ute has that hole with a brass bit in it (jiggle valve comes to mind...).

Its not a factory one but it was an off the shelf replacement.

The reason you install it uppermost is it aid in bleeding out air pockets.

The main reason is it also lets a small amount of coolant past and to flow as the engine heats up, Reducing "hot spots" and allows the thermostat a better reference of actual engine temperature, especially at first start so it can respond quicker to prevent the thermostat "hunting" and causing the engine to go hot-cold-hot-cold while the system is stabilizing. Engines have different designs of coolant flow, this is for 250 Crossflows only, I have not accessed it's suitability on any other engine/coolant flow design.

TL:DR

I'ts a fkn good idea Okay, don't ask questions or i'll fkn strangle ya' with my sweaty foreskin.

And in case you didnt already know make sure the spring on the thermostat is on the head side of the thermostat housing and not the hose side. This spring needs to be in contact with the coolant inside the head in order to react to it and open the thermostat as it heats up. If its put in backwards it will have a huge delay in opening temps.

Thanks guys, I am just going to change the thermostat and coolant anyway. For what they cost its cheap insurance and i know its done plus i want to replace a couple of hoses as well.