XFGHIA747

302 Cleveland 2v cast heads

sounds good fellas afd 2v's and manifold sounds good don't reckon will go much better then that due to the pocket but i reckon i will go with the shacker option it would have been nice to keep it under the bonnet but will lose power im guessing. 

cold air intake can only help in fuel atomisation, doubles as a ram air too.... more speed = more air getting crammed down its neck. and yes back to back you will feel the difference, especially once it heats up under the bonnet.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ford-Falcon-XY-GT-GS-GTHO-Shaker-Kit-XW-XY-XD-XE-Mustang-HIGH-RISE-Manifolds-/291013873989?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43c1c75145&_uhb=1

there you go, off the shelf item.

Tho the down side is AFD 2V intake wouldn't fit under the bonnet

cast heads can be ported to suit 500hp on a 393 but your looking at around $1000 just for CNC porting.

if your rich you could look in to Scott Cook SCM 2V's.

thats why i dont have one theres no way id get one under my bonnet even with no air cleaner :(

I do like very much on the list it is, you would at least gain 5% more power from it surely well I will in tassie our air is pretty cold as it is 9mmonths of the year :)

Yeah it sucks with the bonnet there close with the stock gear! So I reckon a shacker will be the go but my opinion xd e f look a little funny with things out the bonnet, nothing like xc ← there sexy, just opinion.

Mm that does look sexy I can't lie I might come around soon enough providing it is as low to the bonnet to be affective as can be I can pay that.

As said above, CHI 2V's work with either 2V or 4V headers, and any 2V intake manifold like the air gap mentioned. If you go the CHI 3V's which would be my choice, they now make a 3V dual plane manifold which would likely fit under bonnet. Or their single plane could be milled down a bit for clearance too. They also include CNC'ing of the combustion chambers to give you whatever compression ratio you want.

Dave

i know for a fact CHI 2Vs do not line up to standard port locations, neither do AFD. you can make them work you just have to be prepared for some machinings and grinding.

Wow............what awesome products. I often hear people harping on about how good they are, but, if they don't bolt up to a standard 2V 351, what's the fookin' point? Might as well keep the cast iron ones, and spend the 2 grand on machine work.

because you just run their intakes instead? AFD made a manifold for a reason.... it works. CHI on the other hand, John sold the company before developing his own intake so i don't know... just spend ages reworking the intake you bought.

usually the head-inlet face needs a lick to fit standard intakes. or you machine the manifold, one of the two.
exhaust ports are nowhere near stock locations, you usually have to elongate extractor bolt holes then fit a washer to clamp them down on the header face.

and even if you spend 2K on your iron 2v's they will still not perform as well as alloy 2v's off the shelf....

knocking a product like CHI or AFD is pretty naive. they are designed to perform. thats what they do. they shit on cast heads in every aspect except easy fitment with other products, which if you plan on using them anyway chances are you are going to be expecting this anyway.

i know for a fact CHI 2Vs do not line up to standard port locations, neither do AFD. you can make them work you just have to be prepared for some machinings and grinding.

sorry trev disagree here, had 3 different intakes on my old mans engine Withe chi 2v's, they all bolted up with good pot alignment, fist was a torque power dual plane, then a tfc single plane and runs an edelbrock dual plane air gap

man thats odd thom, both sets ive used i've ended up with a massive gap in the valley, same as scott did on his XD, ended up machining the faces of the manifolds, strange but, because we've both used the same manifolds, RPM airgap and TFC 2v... :S

port lineup wasn't perfect either, but port matching is to be expected IMO, wasn't out by much.

AFDs i know the new heads have a raised port compared to what they originally had. dave made this very clear to me when i ordered my set from him. that's why he made his manifold.

I'm not being naive at all. If I buy a water pump for a 351, it fits. If I spend a couple of grand on heads for a Cleveland, they should fit.

Standard heads with no deck machining, straight out the factory, should bolt straight on. Would you spend thousands on a set of Simmons and then have to file the holes out.? I guess I expected more professionallism. I never have doubted that CHI or AFD heads work better than stockies, I have done the research, I know how and why they work.

not as far as i'm aware thom, i definitely didn't have either block decked when i put them together as both blocks were square.... when i asked around i got told it was pretty common.

bear i understand where you are coming from, but thats not the case with anything performance, nothing is a perfect fit. good enough and perfect are two completely different things... most things fall in the good enough category...

Thanks for all the input guys, very helpful,

can anyone tell me the difference between factory 302 2v and 351 closed chamber 2v's

Iv got a mate that has a good set of 351 2v closed chamber heads with the 4v valves fitted with a slight amount of work how do these flow and perform. ?

Thanks guys

351 2V closed chamber never existed! All 351 2Vs were open chamber. The 2V closed chamber head was created for use only on 302 Clevos, exclusive to Australia and were sought after in the states for obvious reasons. Sounds like that 351 had those 2V heads fitted by someone some time in its life. All 351C closed chambers were 4V from factory, but not all 4Vs were closed... Post-'71 US 4V Clevos went to open due to emissions, etc, Confused yet?

2V heads fitted with 4V valves were a very common sight back in the day, and Clevo120Y I think might have tested a set. Seem to recall that he found that increase over 2V valves was ok but not spectacular. without some serious blend work in the bowl, etc I think it's not worth doing. If they're already done, then no dramas.

Thanks for that gerg thats what I needed to know very interesting, sounds as if there a pretty stock thing then the one he has have had slight port work and a valve cut I think, well seens as there open chamber thats what 74cc factory or something? That solved my compression problem, presumably those heads 51 crank 02 rods 8 cc pistons with block decked should give me around 10.7cr ?? Okay for 98 pump..

Thought I'd rectifying something I posted earlier. The AFD  2V intake will fit under the bonnet,

Just only have a little 6"x2" air filter on it at the moment. A 6"x2.5" fitler touched the bonnet.