Clevo120Y

crossflow porting results

Clevo120y can you please pm me because I wouldnt mind my head flow figures being on here and tims coming down. Msg me 0409087929 and its a free flow from a xrglen head. And I will back his head.

I just re-read your post Chris as I didn't read it correctly the first time, How am I getting a FREE flow test of his head? do people usally pay for the priveledge of testing his heads LOL I hope to get to a stage were people pay me to flow test my heads.

Before I test this head I just have a couple of questions, is this the head off your cortina? or are you sending down another of his heads that he wants a FREE flow test from? If it's your head than I have no problems doing a flow test for nothing for you out of interest but if it's another head from Glen that he wants tested for his own development then he can pay my minimum of $50 to have it done.

I just wanted to make it clear that I'm a reasonable guy but don't play me for a fool, I don't mind doing favours for people but please don't think it's a priveledge to flow test one of his heads like they are the holy grail, I'm sure it will perform well as he has been doing it for a very long time.

What I would like to do also is give a dollar value to these results also, so if you don't mind sharing Chris, what does an XRglen head owe you? I would like to see and show what results people get for what sort of coin they outlay.

Hmm. He said "my head". And I think "free flow" means a free look at Glen's work (R and D) which everyone else needs to pay for (buy a head). You did say you were keen to have a look and take some measurements (sounds kind of like a privilege). It is also a great chance for you to compare your head with what many people once thought to be the best. I am certainly interested in the comparison once you finish your head. Xrglen's name seems to blow innocent statements out of proportion, he must have really burnt some people.

Haha that didnt come out right. It is my head off the corty and its a chance for me to get a look and see how freely it flows. Definately seems to work well. Beers and phones dont mix very well lol too late anyways just noticed tim is leavin tomorro :-( maybe next time. Of course I didnt mean free for you pmsl!!!

Sweet as Chris :) yeah Tim's packed and ready to go, I'm looking forward to seeing the Corty again (and Tim lol). I apologise if I come accross harsh but you know I just call it how I see it :) Will be good to see you if you make the trek down here one day, Cheers.

Matt I personally don't have anything against Glen, he hasn't done anything too me but as you said alot of people don't have anything nice to say and there must be a reason for that. Yes I wouldn't mine having a look at a head but at the end of the day I will be able to develop my own port, at least I can't be accused of copying someone elses work. I read and took the post how I took it, Chris has cleared that up so all good. I accept that I might be becoming a bit agitated because this venture of mine has drained me finacially and I haven't made any money for months now, that is my own problem but I'm constantly asked to do shit for free around town and no one wants to pay for a reasonably cheap service compared to others in the industry, plus I'm having trouble finding someone to do the machining work locally as they all have there own opinions and won't do things the way I would like to try and they charge like wounded bulls, get this $44 to put 1 seat insert in a head plus $11 to cut a seat, $20 per valve guide and $70 to face a surface, thats over $1000 already for a crossy head and that dosen't include hot tank or any welding or anything else that goes with a general head recondition. I have had interest in doing some work for people but the recon price alone scares people off and I don't trust the quality of the work down here or if they will do what I ask.

Anyway rant over

Sweet as Chris :) yeah Tim's packed and ready to go, I'm looking forward to seeing the Corty again (and Tim lol). I apologise if I come accross harsh but you know I just call it how I see it :) Will be good to see you if you make the trek down here one day, Cheers.

Matt I personally don't have anything against Glen, he hasn't done anything too me but as you said alot of people don't have anything nice to say and there must be a reason for that. Yes I wouldn't mine having a look at a head but at the end of the day I will be able to develop my own port, at least I can't be accused of copying someone elses work. I read and took the post how I took it, Chris has cleared that up so all good. I accept that I might be becoming a bit agitated because this venture of mine has drained me finacially and I haven't made any money for months now, that is my own problem but I'm constantly asked to do shit for free around town and no one wants to pay for a reasonably cheap service compared to others in the industry, plus I'm having trouble finding someone to do the machining work locally as they all have there own opinions and won't do things the way I would like to try and they charge like wounded bulls, get this $44 to put 1 seat insert in a head plus $11 to cut a seat, $20 per valve guide and $70 to face a surface, thats over $1000 already for a crossy head and that dosen't include hot tank or any welding or anything else that goes with a general head recondition. I have had interest in doing some work for people but the recon price alone scares people off and I don't trust the quality of the work down here or if they will do what I ask.

Anyway rant over

Sorry to hear its hard down there mate. I understand that this is a major investment you have undertaken. I would be happy to give you my money as opposed to some up here lol.

Results from this speedway engine you are doing will spread quickly I reckon.

As Sean said earlier. I am loaded up and ready to go, didnt wanna drag an Empty trailer home so just threw it in the boot. Only waiting on dryer to finish so i can pack my bag. Sorting out new music for the Stezza now as need some new funky beats and will buy ice for the esky from servo on the way.

Hopefully i make it away from the TAB when i roll into Williams.

Got a few Hot Tips today so will be laying some cash down on the race that stops the nation!!

Albany-Trip-01.jpg

Albany-Trip-02.jpg

Thanks mate, yeah even this speedway engine is stalling at the moment, the owner is having persoanl problems and his son works for the machinists and his head is a "on the side" job that he never seems to get around to so fuck knows when I'll get it and finally make a start. So I have started other work just to get some stuff out there but people here just don't seem to want to take a chance and give some of my work a go, I did up an ecoteck manifold that I thought a speedway bloke would give a try and spoke to a few fellas but they all are sticking with what they got. I provided flow test data and allsorts to show the improvements I made with the manifold but they wouldn't even try it for a test and tune. I finally sold it on the local buy and sell page for $150 and even that took some convincing to do, at least I will get some feed back on how it goes on his ute when he gets around to putting it on and he seems keen to get some basic port work done at a later date after I showed him a basic port I did to test the manifold on. Here are some pics of the manifold and port I did and I really thought someone would snap it up for the price, it took nearly 4 days to develop the manifold to flow well while still maintaining a good runner size.

SAM_2978_zpseef58e3f.jpg

SAM_2966_zps3aa3eafb.jpg

SAM_3009_zps8a9ace4c.jpg

SAM_3011_zps4d41d768.jpg

On a more positive note I roughed out another crossflow port today and a quick test before I packed up for the day the port went 219cfm at 600 thou of lift so it has become a bit more stable past 550 again and is increasing in flow, tommoz I will velocity probe it and make some changes and start opening it up a bit to see if I can get the higher lift flow numbers up, this is with the 1.84in valve.

I will put some pics up to tommoz as I'm drinking piss with Tim :) that will lift my spirits having a fellow Cortina nut around.

I get your frustrations mate. Nothing worse than no it alls that really no nothing and not being able to get work done. Possibly the two things I hate the most.

Plus, people need to pay. What is $50 really?

I hope things pick up (they will, it is just a matter of time). People are always afraid to try new people. Perhaps you could get some of your final work flow tested independently? Might give people more confidence?

Before and after engine dyno results? Build an 11sec Cortina with you business name on the side, haha. I am not sure, all the quick ways to build a reputation seem to cost $$$.

move closer people down here in country vic need a shop that 1 dont rape people and 2 can do the porting jobs not (arr it not a stock engine we dont want to touch it

ive used most of the shops out here now and still have not found one that give a ship im not a know all but i do know what it is i want

good luck chin up and i know how you feel ive had people knock back my old engines and payed more for a engine that makes less numbers and just dont work. i fitted up a car with a engine a while ago but offered my old one (said i have this engine it want 14.0 in my own car all fresh not run since rebearing and i want $2500 tuned complete and making 220rwhp thru a auto with dyno sheets) he did not want it instead got a shitter that had all this work and lasted him 100km before needing a rebuild

one thing you learn when you pay for work is to find somone to do good work. ive seen so many people do shit work charge the earth and it all needs redoing 10 seconds later. i did a cortina like this a few years ago he got stung everywhere he went in the end i did the whole car cause i felt sorry for him

So I'm drinking piss with Tim tonight hahahaha good times, got a port roughed out and tested and made some discoveries, I have no problems making a port stable to high lift but haven't discovered to key to make extra flow just yet, it flows well and I have some changes to do tommoz.

50        35.6

100      66.89

150      93.11

200      114.32

250      138.92

300      155.62

350      172.33

400      184.69

450      191.82

500      200.82

550      209.04

600      212.93

650      215.7

700      218.49

750      216.64

800      211.11

So getting the port stable is not a problem so I need more flow now

SAM_3065_zpsd2cce4c6.jpg

SAM_3066_zpse528cb99.jpg

You are have some bloody good skills there.

Talking about business, I'm a joiner by trade and my old boss always went on about "time is money" and how much money is lost with people wanting freebes here and there etc. I now work somewhere else and are on a contracted salary, which is good when the economy slows but as a wealthy businessman once said to me "working for yourself means you can earn as much as you want".

I may be wrong but with v8s, the hp "potential" is roughly twice the cfm rate isn't it?

Thanks fellas for your support while I had my whinge LOL I'm back on point now and getting back into it. Some of the problem is my own doing, I had a really tight budget for equipment and really should have made a budget for an example engine of my own instead of relying on someone else's project for advertising, I had hoped that the speedway engine would have been done and running by now but thats not the case and I don't know when it's happening, thats what happens when you don't have control of the complete build.

Anyway I'm all good now, blew off some steam Monday night at training and had a good night drinking some piss and talking some shit with Tim last night, just what I needed :)

See you in the Exhaust Thread LOL.

Was good trip. back home now. 1000km round trip and 4 tanks of fuel.

Corty loved the wide open road. made it to airport also at 12:00. So that worked well. those pushrods were working off the clock on the 450km cannonball run to make it.

Snapped this yesterday on way down.

1399566_10152008895413738_1982355085_o.j

*edit* Forgot to say, if the bloke over the road causes any trouble (which i highly doubt as he seams to be a good kid) tell him you'll send his mother around to pull his ears. I saw his Mother at Mount Barker when i drove through yesterday. Funny thing about small towns. Everyone is related or knows someone. The Cortina stands out like a sore thumb, Everyone was looking at it driving around town like its the first one they seen since the 80's.

Glad you made it back in time Tim, you are welcome to stay anytime but you will probably want a hotel room after being bombarded by my 4 kids hahahaha. I never get any trouble from the neibours mate, I'm more scummy than them LOL. My youngest bloke was asking if your having dinner at our house again tonight and wants to ride in Tim's car.

My 2 youngest ones thought the corty was the ducks nuts (I agree), must be time to get another one LOL

SAM_3064_zps2fc461af.jpg

Perhaps the short turn could be improved a bit (hard to tell from the photos) and maybe a little bit of work in the combustion chamber might improve flow.  Are you happy with the size of the bowl???

Tony I have room to make the bowl larger so thats on the cards, the short turn will get some more attention today as I could improve the radius a little. The first thing I'm going to do today is recut the seat as it's untouched from the original 1.8 valve, I have opened the throat to suit the 1.84in valve which has taken away the bottom cut so it's just a 45 seat with a 30 top cut at the moment and the valve still has no back cut either, I think I will look at this today before I change anything else. The 45 seat needs to be taken out wider because of the bigger valve now then I can at least put a 70 bottom cut in there as well, the seat at the moment may be the choke, we will see by the end of the day.

Glad you made it back in time Tim, you are welcome to stay anytime but you will probably want a hotel room after being bombarded by my 4 kids hahahaha. I never get any trouble from the neibours mate, I'm more scummy than them LOL. My youngest bloke was asking if your having dinner at our house again tonight and wants to ride in Tim's car.My 2 youngest ones thought the corty was the ducks nuts (I agree), must time to get another one

The couch was very Comfy. least been around kids getting me prepped for when mine arrives in 2 months.

Im glad im not related to any Noongars coz they all know each other. Kyles mother could talk leg off chair. had to drive off from Mount Barker else we would never got to Albany.

And saw about 6 people at the TAB whilst getting Melb Cup winnings.. they just talk and talk hah.

I could been stuck there for hours if i didnt have to be anywheee.

Well I've worked out what I need to make things work, it's called a plan LOL Once I decided to use Slydogs engine specs from the exhaust thread everthing fell into place, having a combination and mathmatical plans works for me better than just porting away for some reason. I have kept the Minimum cross sectional area slightly smaller than required just to give me some room to open it a little tommoz to see if there is further improvements. The main problem with the previous ports was the cross sectional area was choking the port with too higher airspeed, a sonic choke was happening and I was confident when I posted that the other day. The short turn and bowl are a good stable shape and this was evident with previous tests when the flow stayed at it's max all the way past 700 thou of lift without dropping off. Anyway like I mentioned on a previous post this port is for a high lift, high rpm drag car and based off Slydogs specs, this means getting the cross sectional areas V lift V rpm band correct, this port as is drops off at exactly the max lift of Robs cam, what I would normally do is for it to drop off/stop flowing more 50 thou after max lift, I am confident that this port will do that once I match the minimum cross sectional area perfectly as it is slightly smaller at the moment, what this tells me is that the cross sectional calculations are spot on for this combination.

Here are the results for the port that matches Rob's engine, I think it will go close to 240cfm once tweaked. The port is very stable even after max lift, I even shortened the valve guide to allow testing at higher lifts, the retainer hit the guide at 825 thou of lift so I couldn't test past that, I will also put in the result at max lift of 685 of this engine. This is tested with 1.84in valve at 28in depression.

50             37.12

100           64.88

150           96.96

200           123.44

250           145.05

300           165.56

350           184.04

400           195.7

450           210.32

500           222.25

550           228.58

600           231.87

650           233.13

685           233.09

700           226.76

750           222.08

800           225.59

825           228.2

So she flows very well and would perform very well without the port being over the top huge, the min cross sectional area is 1.93 square inches, the perfect size is 1.97 square inches. Also with a high rpm race port I like to straighten them out a bit more as you can see in the pics.

SAM_3069_zps62d72eba.jpg

SAM_3070_zpsa5234630.jpg

SAM_3074_zps7fdbcafa.jpg

You are have some bloody good skills there.

Talking about business, I'm a joiner by trade and my old boss always went on about "time is money" and how much money is lost with people wanting freebes here and there etc. I now work somewhere else and are on a contracted salary, which is good when the economy slows but as a wealthy businessman once said to me "working for yourself means you can earn as much as you want".

I may be wrong but with v8s, the hp "potential" is roughly twice the cfm rate isn't it?

Thanks for the kinds words mate, I forgot to answer your question sorry. No you shouldn't use that double cfm for power as it all depends on the cubic inches of the engine/cfm of the head to determine the power potential and there are lots of different cube engines.