Sign in to follow this  
wookie

ADR 27a

Hey Guys,

Starting to finish up the v8 conversion, hooking all the emissions gear up. 

can i get away without using the EGR? how does it work anyway,

i said on my modification application that id be using the factory emissions gear and reading some of the factory schematics it seems that post 76 falcons had EGR's, i guess i can sneak it between the manifold and spacer for the carby.

Can you hook up a holley 4150 600cfm to it at all?

sweet ill try that, i was thinking of how to butcher the 4 holed spacer to make the back of the egr fit it lol

i just did a V8 cortina that way it has a air gap manifold so i did it with a sqaure bore spacer and welded the EGR plate bit to the back drilled a hole and bolted on the EGR 

ADR 27A is canister and EGR thats all i had to run :)

ive never seen a factory v8 falcon XC XD XE with no EGR ford had to have them to pass the EPA of lack of in that era

in n.s.w i never owned a v8 falcon with one and ive owned a lot of clevo powered falcons in my time, but in saying this n,s,w does have a few diff pollution laws to other states

just dont even bother see if the bloke picks it up ,

in n.s.w i never owned a v8 falcon with one and ive owned a lot of clevo powered falcons in my time, but in saying this n,s,w does have a few diff pollution laws to other states

just dont even bother see if the bloke picks it up ,

So that's why on the idle/timing setting stickers and workshop manuals they have different specs for NSW?

EGRs are to cool down combustion temps under lean conditions, (ie cruise/overun) which would otherwise produce oxides of nitrogen (NOx) and this produces smog.

Perhaps the retarded puss-box cam they ran in later black Clevos was in effect a built-in EGR device. Also the inlet manifold seemed to have a passage drilled from the crossover to the carby flange that may have conveyed exhaust gas under vacuum.

Notice also that no e-series had them, so not every engine absolutely needs them. If they can pass without, then so be it.

I've always made sure to put the big factory air cleaner on before getting roadworthys, I figure it just makes it a bit harder to spot what carb you're running and hide the lack of EGR parts.

wow thanks for the response fellas! damn emissions!!! 

ive got the EGR plate off of a black block engine, its just a spacer with 2 slots cut in for the primary/secondaries and a hole to the vacuum diaphragm, pretty basic.

since im hoping to set up ram air for the cobra scoop and using a factory air cleaner base and a 14" diameter lid; i dunno how cluey the local licensing centre is [prob go to welshpool in perth] and ill have the emissions cannister and vac lines all hooked up. i may just attach the egr to the spacer coz id hate to go back and forth from these places, paying up each time. 

this is the spacer i have [lol i think ive mentioned it was a 2" previously, its a 1"], note the flat side of it... the other 3 sides are indented like the second pic. i reckon i could mount it to the flat side and have it part of the set up and let them bust me for something else like noise or a full ashtray [yes, cops in WA will sticker your car for that as it is a fire hazard to have a full ashtray]

mrg-6006_w_xl.jpg

carb_spacers_lg.jpg sorry bout the big massive pics.

Maybe E series didn't need them 'cos of unleaded fuel. Or different emission standards that year? Fuel injection? NFI. :)

As long as my arse points to the ground, they'll never, ever go backwards on emissions standards. Instead, the engineers carefully worked on combustion chamber design, cam profile, ignition and fuel maps to achieve the acceptable level of NOx emissions.

Using EFI has helped a lot, with being able to do things like cut fuel on over-run, greatly advance timing under light-loads/lean mixture, and richen mixture when needed.

By far the biggest advance was for EFI engines to be able to run oxygen sensors (once unleaded came along) for closed-loop operation, which keeps cruise mixture at an optimal ratio.

Modern, variable cam timed engines use different inlet/exhaust overlap on cruise/over-run to achieve an EGR effect when needed. They're pretty smart.

I haven't seen a petrol engine with an EGR valve for decades now, but most diesels still have them, and are very complicated with multiple coolers and electronic control, etc. In this case it's very much a vital part of the engine.