Sign in to follow this  
Mr Polson

Sudden Miss, and a tick.

So my wagon was running fine last night (stock EFI 250), then this morning when I went to start it it required a lot of cranking before it started, and upon start up was running really rough, needed throttle to prevent stalling.

After it warmed it it became better (not as rough) but still not as smooth as it was yesterday.

Checked most of the vac lines they seem alright, noticed a tick sound coming from around the dizzy area? Not sure if it may be related.

To give an understanding of how rough it was, when I put it in reverse the motor shook the gear selector into 'N'

The Air flow metre Chris, do you have a spare one you can swap out and see if thats the issue?

Had them cause similar issues previously!

Filler cap is tight and dipstick is pushed all the way in. Checked them along with the vac lines.

Will check the dizzy tomorrow just in case.

Don't have a spare airflow meter. Can you use the black lid ones or only the blue lid ones?

Filler cap is tight and dipstick is pushed all the way in. Checked them along with the vac lines.

Will check the dizzy tomorrow just in case.

Don't have a spare airflow meter. Can you use the black lid ones or only the blue lid ones?

You know where theres a spare!

Black lid is for Bosch XE system. Wont work properly on XF.

If you heard a tick near the dizzy and it's idling rough, I'd bet my balls it's a loose lead or a split boot/frayed lead arcing out. The tick makes me think it is loose, sitting on top of the socket arcing a connection. Happened to me a few times.

Check the cap also isn't cracked. basically go over everything ignition.

mine did that a few weeks back from moisture on the dizzy cap.. could hear the spark jumping (if it was night, might have seen it)

sprayed it with WD 40 and fixed..

my other ute was a classic.. think a rat chewed a chunk of the lead out.. was missing a bit anyway.