GspecZL

Straight gas 4L conversion.

Lol there was a very negative article on EA's and VN's in this months unique cars. They actually gave the points to the EA S pack though. As would i without having dealt with either very much.

Probably will later on Mr Polson. When this starts i will need it done quick so it will just doing what needs to be done first. Probably do the 4 speed when i have the ZH sorted (so never)

i could also just go manual later on but i like the cruisieness of a fairlane with an auto.

Never say never, just say in a long time down the track eventually after other things have been completed and then recompleted and change and maybe then finished. :P

Autos are good for laziness and ease to drive. I'm loving the wagon being auto and my daily... That way when I drive the ute it's a bit more fun :)

Anyway I'll stop interrupting your thread now :P

Wes what did you do about the sump? I would like to run the AU 4L and its the only thing that is stopping me.

I know i can get it modified but some people seem to think that getting an aloy sump welded is tough.

The sump in mine was completely custom. It was a High energy unit but the only thing I would recommend on them is weld down the two side baffles on the outer extremes. If xeeclipse was being cheeky, he wasn't being thorough. The only time my engine sounded rattly was when these flaps bent up I presume from the engine sitting for a prolonged period on the sump which I believe caused the sump to flex. What then happened is they were being flicked by the conrod every time it went around. Took the sump off, welded them down and never another rattle except for the standard warming up of forgies and rings on start up and standard rocker/cam noise whenever you go larger. Have a listen to any serious 4L, OHC or Barra and this is normal. No way does this mean it is a rattly motor.

Thanks ReVhEaD. Well i was getting close!

Might head out to a wreckers tommorow. I should be able to get thermos and hopefully there will be an XG ute.

Anyone got any parts i can use they would like to sell?

Yeah got thermo's and radiators from EF. EF thermo's are the highest flowing of the lot.

Ok heres one i just though of. Will there be any clearance issues with the Gas carby and the bonnet. Im am in the process of buying an Impco 425. Not sure what hat goes on top of that. But i hope it isnt getting to tall.

I have a Impco gas hat on a Thermaquad here its massive.

Broad band works well with aftermarket cams, it provides an extra 800-1200rpm of power compared to the Ed and earlier intake, also if using a bbm on a straight gas setup it's easy to control using an rpm frequency switch (about $30 from jaycar) and set the manifold to chance runner length at 3800rpm

Well i have got the 425 with a Holley Base plate at a very good price. Although Pending purchase. So thats how il be going. I reckon the Aussie speed manifold will be plenty good to.

No idea what power it will put out. I figure i will loose some to Gas even going straight gas. Hopefully more than a stock 250!!

Well i have got the 425 with a Holley Base plate at a very good price. Although Pending purchase. So thats how il be going. I reckon the Aussie speed manifold will be plenty good to.

No idea what power it will put out. I figure i will loose some to Gas even going straight gas. Hopefully more than a stock 250!!

NO I DONT THINK YOUL LOOSE any power as you can tune it for gas ,generally if you run petty n gas is when you loose out ,tune it for gas ,fit a gas cam ,you can advance a gas motor a lot more , plus why not look to upping the comp  ratio a bit to give it a bit more zing!

Broad band works well with aftermarket cams, it provides an extra 800-1200rpm of power compared to the Ed and earlier intake, also if using a bbm on a straight gas setup it's easy to control using an rpm frequency switch (about $30 from jaycar) and set the manifold to chance runner length at 3800rpm

But isn't the bbm manifold vacuum operated? Btw the plenum size isn't any bigger, neither are the runners so I doubt it can liberate much more power.

Why would you go pulling these shiters apart in wrecking yards EA-AU when the only real difference is comp ratio? The rest is superfluous IMO.

But isn't the bbm manifold vacuum operated? Btw the plenum size isn't any bigger, neither are the runners so I doubt it can liberate much more power.

Why would you go pulling these shiters apart in wrecking yards EA-AU when the only real difference is comp ratio? The rest is superfluous IMO.

The bbm is operated by an electronically controlled vacuum switch (mounted behind the washer bottle in Ef-Au) you right the runners are the same length when the butterflies are closed, when they are open they are far shorter so you end up with and intake that works well in two separate rpm ranges. Let me ask you this if you were a p Plater who had little no EU but wanted something fast coupled with the skills to compare/rebuild engine parts wouldn't you pull different variants of the same engine apart to find the best parts for your project to save money on after market gear, also there are many differences from ea- Au and not alot off an ea engine will fit an Au (and vise versa) although they will both fit in the same location ohc's are like flat head v8's they were produced over alot of years and had alot of design changes (sometimes not necessarily for the better) during their production life and while the first may look like the last some parts that's as far as it goes

The bbm is operated by an electronically controlled vacuum switch (mounted behind the washer bottle in Ef-Au) you right the runners are the same length when the butterflies are closed, when they are open they are far shorter so you end up with and intake that works well in two separate rpm ranges. Let me ask you this if you were a p Plater who had little no EU but wanted something fast coupled with the skills to compare/rebuild engine parts wouldn't you pull different variants of the same engine apart to find the best parts for your project to save money on after market gear, also there are many differences from ea- Au and not alot off an ea engine will fit an Au (and vise versa) although they will both fit in the same location ohc's are like flat head v8's they were produced over alot of years and had alot of design changes (sometimes not necessarily for the better) during their production life and while the first may look like the last some parts that's as far as it goes

Point taken dude.....  

BTW a low km AU LPG dedicated INTECH motor would make a good base 

for me i stuck an el head an intake ,etc on a 3.9 it improved the shit out of the 3.9

Supposedly the 3.9L has the smallest piston cc of any OHC engine so fitted with a high comp head would make it pretty good.

3.9 also has the strongest rods out of e series, egas 4.0 has the strongest rods out of Au series, best of both world would be to use Au rods because they are longer the slow the piston at each end lg the the stroke creating less bore wear and not torque any HP as it requires less effort for the piston to change directions (same theory as 302 rods in a 351, 200 rods in a 250 or 289 rods in a 302 (note that efi 5.0l use a 289 length rod standard)

Oh the ute will definitely be going Clevo still, but I have the wagon...

Nothing will happen to the wagon, but once I get the ute done, who knows? Always liked the idea of turbo 4.0L in x series...