GspecZL

Straight gas 4L conversion.

Hey Guys and Gals.

As some of you may know my Xflow is just about ready for a rebuild. But im am seriously considering doing a 4L conversion.

I am wanting to run an EL (XR6 if possible) motor with the aussie speed carby manifold. I am aware this would not meet emissions though. Which is why i want to run straight Gas. I am running LPG anyway.

Ive been reading up over the last few months and i think im about ready to tackle this.

Any input is great to.

Any reason you don't want to stick with the Original 4l manifold? Apart from that it should be pretty simple to run straight gas, just use a stand alone ignition system like the MSD 6al-2 programmable and the minimum wiring for starter and alt and your pretty much going, others will share the little details of a conversion like this as I haven't done it personally.

The aussie speed manifold looked so simple to use honestly. I figured with the ease of just bolting the holley base on than an impco setup would be simple.

I dont know what 4L manifold would involve.

If it was simple it could save me $400 odd dollars.

4 barrel manifold you can put a twin throttle body adapter on. and you dont need the emissions crap with lpg. it puts out  fark all. my roadworthy dude saw some of the anti pollution gear plugged up or not connected. said he didn't care because its pretty much just on gas. because the petrol system didn't work. vicroads inspector didn't even blink a eye. this was on my 1990 xf ute with 250 crossflow.

i want to do this because i want to do this sort of conversion in the future too. because 1 its the way i want the car. and 2 i want to try stay the f*** away from computers if its possible. just wouldn't mind a ignition computer.

Why not go efi?

More efficiency, looks better and would probably give out more power.

Doesn't it defeat the purpose of going to all the effort of going 4.0L?

Hey Guys and Gals.

As some of you may know my Xflow is just about ready for a rebuild. But im am seriously considering doing a 4L conversion.

I am wanting to run an EL (XR6 if possible) motor with the aussie speed carby manifold. I am aware this would not meet emissions though. Which is why i want to run straight Gas. I am running LPG anyway.

Ive been reading up over the last few months and i think im about ready to tackle this.

Any input is great to.

Crossflow will always be a stronger motor then the 4L. What are you going to do about the ignition curve? Can you put a mechanical dizzy out of an XE into a later 4L engine? Second hand engine or a freshened second hand motor?

EL TFI dizzy,Impco vac carb unit on a holley base (of which I have both of brand new here and for sale ATM) Street fire MSD ($175 BN) or 6AL2 programmable ($430ish) if you want a advance curve.Use with a T5 and your set no computer or anything needed.

Thom currently I am been a bit tight and gas research is expensive probably do that next year.

XEEclipse yes you can put the XE dizzy on the 4L with only a few small mods. Aussie speed sell a dizzy to. haven't got the motor yet but freshened would be the aim.

Damo96 I am trying to avoid the computer's and I think with the Aussie speed manifold and a dew other mods the 4L will go quite nicely.

Slydog I will pm you.

thats some good info. so can the streetfire be wired straight to a dizzy on a e series? instead of modifying a xe dizzy? no ignition computer needed? apart from the streetfire cdi. i suppose that is some kind of computer in its self

i dont know damo i reckon a carby version could look better than efi. i dont like looking at efi in my engine bays. it makes me think what the and where the fark do i start

wiring up a tfi dizzy is ezy

pink with blue tracer is neg on coil for tach ,

red with green runs to pos on coil ,il find my little black book i wrote all this shit in and post a heap of info for you bloke tomorrow

thanks guys sorry im sort of hijacking your thread gspec but your doing about the same thing i plan on doing. im just trying to get all the info down on paper then start collecting and saving for all the parts i need. so then its a nice quick as it can be conversion. are you planning on using the old weber carb as a throttle body gspec?

ok heres the wiring diagram for the tfi module on all dissies from ea to el 6 and 8 its a piece of cake

969010_4909539468491_1081344215_n.jpg

ING TO IGNITION POWER ,OR SWITCHING POWER,OR POSITIVE SIDE OF COIL , 

COIL NEG ,IS JUST THAT TO THE NEGATIVE SIDE OF THE COIL AND IS USED FOR TACHO FEED!

EARTH TO BODY OF CAR NOT TO MOTOR 

IGNORE ALL THE REST OF THE WIRES ,AS THIS IS THE ONLY WIRES YOU NEED TO RUN FOR GAS

this is from the top to bottom of the plug as it plugs into dissy if this makes sence

pip ,is for injector pulse ,but not needed

xflow were are good motor but technology has moved along ,were the 4lt exceeds is in it ability to cop a flogging day in day out without ever complaining ,yup i know head gaskets ,last 4.1 i flogged the c#@t out of spat a rod through the sump and id spent 4k onit back in the day ,

ive had every model falcon from 1964 to 2007, and although im not an AU fan the vct motor was brillant,