Sign in to follow this  
dizzy616

having trouble with my engine

hey dudes
i got a 250 crossflow. it all ways seems to run like its 180 degree out in the timing. i dont know if its a dizzy thing because i got with the engine a dizzy without a vacuum line. so i decided i might give that a try. i just plugged up the vacuum line on the manifold. it just seems to backfire out of the carby alot.
its got a cam upgrade getting plenty of fuel and its got lots of spark. we tested the front cylinder for dead center and tryed a few things none seem to work.

anybody got a idea?

i might try swapping the dizzy from the old engine to new see if it helps

Yeah but you need to make sure the balancer is on TDC on the comp stroke, an engine passes TDC twice on a complete cycle, pop the rocker cover off and make sure that both valves are closed when you get to TDC. If you have set the dizzy 180degrees out you will notice that the rotor button will be pointing to number 1 cylinder while the exhaust valve is closing and the intake valve stating to open, this is wrong. You need to set the dizzy when both valves are closed at TDC.

what if the its not on tdc when the front 2 valves are closed and a fair wack away from tdc?

stick dizzy in on number one when the valves are down and forget about tdc? lol
and should i use the old vacuum dizzy any major difference?

its a different balancer that its got on it maybe put in wrong spot? i got the engine with all the work done to it before i got my hands on it. it was meant to be a good running engine but. ive checked for other lines marked i haven't noticed any.
just put dizzy on number 1 with both valves shut. still backfiring carby and no go.

The valves will be closed well before you get to TDC on the compression stroke, this is normal and correct. Get the balancer to TDC and put the dizzy in with the rotor pointing to number 1, leave the dizzy retaining bolt loose, start it and adjust the timing.

Is the cam a solid or hydraulic? If either aren't set up properly it could be holding valves open, could be lots of things unfortuanetly, you just have to eliminate one thing at a time.

I always a set em up with the valves on number 6.When the exhaust is closing and the inlet is opening known as "rocking" you should be looking at a rotor button pointing to number 1 (left hand strut tower side) or bottom of the dizzy and hopefully the balancer is pointing to TDC or ZERO mark.

Sounds like a timing issue but...

i got it i retarded the timing a fair bit and she fired up no backfire fark im wrapped. thnx for the help anyway. yeh it would be closing on number 6 or so. i think its like 20 something degrees retarded.

I just pull no. 1 plug and stick my finger/thumb over the plug hole and turn it until you can feel the compression stoke. Pure laziness on my behalf - easier to undo one plug then 8 rocker cover bolts.

Love the simplicity of these engines....... Anyone been to jolly's in dandenong lately? I pulled out a ripper of an engine out of the rusted out panel van in the front row :D

99% of balancers are made in 2 pieces, with a rubber bonded between them. The years, oil drips, etc etc weakens the rubber, and the inner will spin on the outer bit. This will throw the timing marks out. Trust the TDC, both valves shut on No.1.

dont refer to the balancer cos the outer can spin..

spin the engine until end of compression stroke (thumb over hole), and you can use a screwdriver (big handle so it doesnt fall in) to rest against the piston dome, and observe when the piston passes TDC.

set the timing off that.

--i dont think the engine can run on 180 deg out timing (especially gas), so chances are you're not too far off

Yeah but you need to make sure the balancer is on TDC on the comp stroke, an engine passes TDC twice on a complete cycle, pop the rocker cover off and make sure that both valves are closed when you get to TDC. If you have set the dizzy 180degrees out you will notice that the rotor button will be pointing to number 1 cylinder while the exhaust valve is closing and the intake valve stating to open, this is wrong. You need to set the dizzy when both valves are closed at TDC.

Fuck pulling rocker cover off. No 1 plug out TDC on comp can't go wrong.

Purely suggested it to give a visual guide to work with, no mistake can be made if you can see the valve positions.

^^^thats not laziness Ando, that's experience, I also just pull the plug but for someone that is just getting to know how an engine works I personally think a visual reference is better :)

Yeah, you're right, but i was just saying.

yeh i usually have done it that way gaz but since this engine is a little bit different. i only ever have really played with stockers. i had to get my head around it a bit better