hendrixhc

Cleveland exhausts - anybody made their own?

Well being the sort of guy that doesnt like to pay any one to do anything i been thinking of making up my  own exhaust system.

Has any body made their own and did they find it a pain in the arse or quite enjoyable?

Was thinking about buying one of those 12 tonne tube benders and ripping into it. Looks easy enough. Going to start with the XC and then one for XE and maybe the tina down the track.

Any comments or opinions! Go for it.

And Grommet dont talk about fucking fairy cakes or bakeries!

I did an exhaust for my xf, single 2.5" with hooker aerochamber.

What I did of it was perfect, all done with a gassless mig.

Welded a flange on the extractors, tacked piece by piece to where I wanted it to run and sit.

The only bit I didn't do was the section that passes over the diff, I got a rear section from upullit that had a big resonator on it with 2.5" dump tip, so I welded that to mine, and yeah it was shit should of made the whole lot myself, it use to knock the sway bar.

So I took it to an exhaust shop because I was going to do it again, handed over $120 and he bent a half meter section that bends over the diff and welded it in.

I say go for it, but make sure you do it all yourself and don't use someone elses stuff as it probably wont fit your needs! I thought it was fun and feels like a good accomplishment!

cost me in the end around $520, that's steel, hooker aerochamber, the resonator, flanges/bolts/gaskets, flame proof and heat proof paint and labour to have that over diff section done.

Yeah i was looking on ebay and you can buy the bends - 3 x 90' and 3 by 45' for $70. Not to bad i guess. I was more looking for varied size bends like join in for a X pipe and the like.

I was just watching some vids on Youtube and they were saying about filling the pip with compressed wet sand to stop it crushing.

I did an exhaust for my xf, single 2.5" with hooker aerochamber.

What I did of it was perfect, all done with a gassless mig.

Welded a flange on the extractors, tacked piece by piece to where I wanted it to run and sit.

The only bit I didn't do was the section that passes over the diff, I got a rear section from upullit that had a big resonator on it with 2.5" dump tip, so I welded that to mine, and yeah it was shit should of made the whole lot myself, it use to knock the sway bar.

So I took it to an exhaust shop because I was going to do it again, handed over $120 and he bent a half meter section that bends over the diff and welded it in.

I say go for it, but make sure you do it all yourself and don't use someone elses stuff as it probably wont fit your needs! I thought it was fun and feels like a good accomplishment!

cost me in the end around $520, that's steel, hooker aerochamber, the resonator, flanges/bolts/gaskets, flame proof and heat proof paint and labour to have that over diff section done.

I was actually looking on ebay and can buy the 2 tail pipe sections for $190. I was thinking of buying them and connecting it into the front sections i make.

I made my entire exhaust on my XF, first time i touched a welder so its not hard. just buy mandrel bends and piece it together like a jigsaw. It can be a pain in the ass but it was enjoyable pun not intended. One piece of advice, dont try and save money by buying a 90 degree mandrel bend, cutting it in half to get 2 x 45 bends. Fitment will suck and you'll blow holes in it. I welded hot with a series of tacks and its not about just getting from point A to B but also making sure you can get to C and D and E from there.

I make my own exhaust's,but i also work at a exhaust shop on the weekends so its easy for me.But if you want to have a go,your better off buying the mandrel bends and a couple of metres of exhaust tube and get started.

What about a kit like this :

http://www.bestmufflers.com/bshop/product_info.php?cPath=759_781&products_id=4219&osCsid=63e0eaf11ac38185c45950cdb46c6345

You can also get mandrel bends and straight pipe from the same place. Service is quite good too - quick delivery

Thanks Gav. I'll keep them in mind!

Thanks Gav. I'll keep them in mind!

I used "Best Mufflers" [ http://www.bestmufflers.com/ ]  to source bits for my 4litre conversion induction pipe and XF exhaust system. They're in Sydney...I'm in Melbourne. As mentioned before the postage was surprisingly cheap and fast - Around 2-3 days from ordering.

I used clamps like this :

http://www.bestmufflers.com/bshop/product_info.php?cPath=313_320&products_id=1076&osCsid=d48535aab96443d69fdb31f7ae353365

To get perfect pipe alignment for my butt welds. Just drill 3 or 4 10mm holes equidistant through the centre of the clamps - enough to tack weld the bends together. Remove and finish the welds at each join - then grind for a smooth finish.

While we are talking exhausts, anyone know where you can buy stainless oval pipe and transitions (for back to round) in AUSTRALIA?

I know where in USA but would prefer to buy aussie

ill ask my mate where he got his for his roller ronny, what size do you need?

Cheers, 2.5" oval they call it which is actually 1 3/4" x 3"

I say go for it, but if you're doing a 6 cyl, they're critical in muffler placement in order to not get droning and booming at highway speed. V8s are much more forgiving I think.

Plans have changed for now. I just a quote for a twin 2 and 1/2" system fitted from extractors to tail for $600 cash. Cant beat this price just getting the components alone!  :D

I say go for it, but if you're doing a 6 cyl, they're critical in muffler placement in order to not get droning and booming at highway speed. V8s are much more forgiving I think.

tell me about it!