dizzy616

el thermo fans onto xf

god damn brought a kit from a shop in lilydale. $92 later got my kit thought ohwell i wanted it now. and it must be allright for that price. opened the kit and it needed more shit! so got a couple relays a couple fuses and a bit of heatshrink a bit more wire. but eventually i got all the wiring loom sorted.ohwell atleast i got a nice little temperature adjuster. lol allmost thing the el fans keep my car too cold they smash the temp down fairly quickly.

ohwell bit of an expensive exercise. ill be getting the kit xes got next time.

god damn brought a kit from a shop in lilydale. $92 later got my kit thought ohwell i wanted it now. and it must be allright for that price. opened the kit and it needed more shit! so got a couple relays a couple fuses and a bit of heatshrink a bit more wire. but eventually i got all the wiring loom sorted.ohwell atleast i got a nice little temperature adjuster. lol allmost thing the el fans keep my car too cold they smash the temp down fairly quickly.

ohwell bit of an expensive exercise. ill be getting the kit xes got next time.

Damn man, what a rip! Shoulda let me know, I just got a kit for myself from VPW last week, could have got one for you too!

make sure you guys are upgrading your alternators,. 60amp is no where near enough for them, my power system struggles and actually nicks power from other things

Yeah I beefed mine up a bit. Not sure what to tho. I made it out if a couple of ones I had her. The black ring was fatter on one so I used that. Anyone know how to tell what amps you alternator is?

problem is you need to wire them through a relay ,when i wired a pair into my 351 clevo EA i did exactly that then bought a 24 volt switch ,i also had them wired into a temp sender ,the switch was if i wanted to turn them on ! 55 amp alt plenty

lol mine seems to cope with the stock alternator. the thermo's come on for a couple minutes then the engines cold. and im running amp and sub off the battery too
yes campo i knew i got ripped hahaha ripped good. its what happens when you get impatient and you want to take your car out for a spin

problem is you need to wire them through a relay ,when i wired a pair into my 351 clevo EA i did exactly that then bought a 24 volt switch ,i also had them wired into a temp sender ,the switch was if i wanted to turn them on ! 55 amp alt plenty

that's not my problem I have dual 40 amp relays powered by a single 8awg cable from the battery.

still getting huge draws

Pffft... Mines running with its stock base model alt (30 or 35 amp) and it copes, just so long as I don't have highbeams and fan on.

That said, I don't have as much wiring mods as you.

Lucky, nor you have 2 amps, not that the draw is that much on them.

I have 55amp.

I will be running an Au alternator

on my AU motor.

You will be fine then

lol mine seems to cope with the stock alternator. the thermo's come on for a couple minutes then the engines cold. and im running amp and sub off the battery too

yes campo i knew i got ripped hahaha ripped good. its what happens when you get impatient and you want to take your car out for a spin

Mine hardly come on too, only in traffic stopped. And only for a few minutes, but my engine rpm drops when they turn on too.

that's not my problem I have dual 40 amp relays powered by a single 8awg cable from the battery.

still getting huge draws

i find if you power the relays up directly from the alternator youl not notice the drop at all as this sends direct power to fans when they fire up ,running power for fans from battery ,will show a drain as you draw all car power from positive terminal, 

still getting huge draws

i find if you power the relays up directly from the alternator youl not notice the drop at all as this sends direct power to fans when they fire up ,running power for fans from battery ,will show a drain as you draw all car power from positive terminal, 

that's what im thinking. I plan on changing the wiring setup.

hmmm i haven't got drops from the fans yet but i hardly have driven the car. i got a good battery too. though i might hook the wire to the alternator to avoid this. because i done what mcfly done.

Been watching this for a while. Why hasn't anybody mentioned the Davies-Craig variable thermatic switch yet? Cheap, apparently reliable, easy to implement and a clean install if you use the additionally available pipe adaptor. I've used one in my EB with serpentine belt conversion and it works well. Mr Ford supplies the wiring.....EL Falcon electrical circuit can be used to good effect as well. It's arranged differently because the ECU isn't used to switch the fans - but it's largely intact and arranged correctly.

Someone mentioned the use of E-series radiators in X-series cars. I've done it on my 4L XF conversion without using XG radiator support panels. I think "Revhead" has used the XG support panel method in his thread. It's more refined than mine and in my opinion a nice execution - but beyond a lot of folk who don't have the equipment/skill set.

thanks Gav ,i think you could mod the bottom brackets a little ,say lowering them a little ,to get the 4litre rad in ,you could cut the support a little on each side ,bend these out the use as tabs to bolt the radiator to,youl need to blank off the side filler pipe though.then its a casr of just bolting the fans straight to the radiator,as Gav said use a d/c controlled switch ,or sender