Sign in to follow this  
KRUPTOR

Can you run 2 external wastegates on a single turbo setup?

Can you run 2 external wastegates on a single turbo setup on a ford 6???What are the benefits?Would 2 38mm wastegates surffice on a 250 motor?

Yes you can and it is done in some more serious combo's.This shows it done and on that very car.

But this is a $$$ heavy investment based on the amount hardware and fabrication needed to make it happen and in your case no benefit really. 

Remember with a wastegate, you're dumping mostly pressure, not so much flow. It would take a serious amount of power to have that much gas going through the system to need a second wastegate.

I'll ask my brother if there's a rule-of-thumb formula for horsepower/boost/wastegate size. He's a big turbo head.

Yes you can. I am running twin 44mm Tial wastegates on my 4L.

Basically, sometimes when using 2 small a gate, it will not hold low boost.

Some people also have split pulse turbos and run a gate off each bank of the manifold.

And yes, 2 x 38mm wastegates will be fine, but your probably better off going with 1 big single. Easier to plumb and less messy in the engine bay.

on my twin scroll setup i had to run two wastegates, because you need one for each half of the turbine housing.

i wouldn't bother on anything else... just seems pointless.

on my twin scroll setup i had to run two wastegates, because you need one for each half of the turbine housing.

i wouldn't bother on anything else... just seems pointless.

You don't need two, You can run a pipe off each scroll merged into one pipe and run the gate off that.

Kinda like this:

903972_493617850688099_896385109_o.jpg