Sign in to follow this  
Sardaara

few things the xf needs.. as always its about the $$

hey guys,

xf needs a crankshaft seal.. is that a hard job to do? i understand you would need to take the radiator out along with the belts and all.. i mean can it be done at home? my neighbour is a mechanic at jax tyres im sure he will help out for a few cartons of beer... or should i just let him take it to the workshop and have it done? the boys that pinked it said the crankshaft would need to be checked if  its got a groove in it...

i mean it drives beautifully, only has 110k on the clock... and he goes if worst comes to worst you will have to replaced the engine... like huh WTF??????????????????

also the auto box at the linkage id just s tarting to drip and needs a seal..

should i be worried about these things? i mean i drive the xf occasionally maybe 100km in 2 weeks, as both my girls love going for a drive in it... ones 2 and ones 4... kids!! ...  soo.. should i stop driving it until i have it all fixed?

do you mean the front seal behind the harmonic balancer ? if so youl enjoy that,if ,the harmonic balancer  has a groove init buy a speed sleeve same goes for the crank!,change the motor,lol wtf for

how big is the drip from the auto

yean no, you wont have to change the engine. Theres no real worse case in this, just that you run it out of oil, then you'll be up for an engine change for sure. In my case, (not that I have heaps of money) but i'd take it somewhere to get done cause it is not (as above) an easy job and once you start, you have to finish it so maybe make a few calls, and see what the best price you can get (not always the cheapest is best!) and look at your cards then. As for auto, find your leak source. it may just be a pan gasket and that you can do in about half hour!

not sure if this issue is resolved yet, but for front or rear crank seal leaks i have added this stuff.. STP engine stop leak and it has ALWAYS stopped that leak.
that transmission seal gets hot and dry from being near the exhaust, but i'd even still add some stop leak to the transmission..worst case is it doesnt help.. best case no more leaks

whoever said to change an engine needs to be avoided, as they are clearly rip offs.

STP-Engine-StopLeakRGB.jpg

No way it can groove the crank, the balancer maybe but not the crank. They are trying to rip you.

Not that hard to do, but takes a while. If you do it buy a puller to get the harmonic balancer off before you start.

Talk to your neighbour and see what he says, if he's not keen you have to take it somewhere or put up with the drip. If it is not using a noticeable amount of oil I wouldn't be too worried about it.

not sure if this issue is resolved yet, but for front or rear crank seal leaks i have added this stuff.. STP engine stop leak and it has ALWAYS stopped that leak.

that transmission seal gets hot and dry from being near the exhaust, but i'd even still add some stop leak to the transmission..worst case is it doesnt help.. best case no more leaks

whoever said to change an engine needs to be avoided, as they are clearly rip offs.

May have to try some of this, front main seal in the ute leaks pretty bad... Probably too bad for this to help now though?

May have to try some of this, front main seal in the ute leaks pretty bad... Probably too bad for this to help now though?

you might be surprised, fixed a Massive rear main leak on an XF i had.. when i pulled the seal out later it was cactus, still dont know how it didnt just pour oil out

crossy front seals sux big time,i did one in a corty i had once ,radiator out ,loosen sump timing cover off ,seal goes in from the inside ,not externally fitted they are a kunt ,

My jackaroo gooved the crank. Eazy fix though, after i finally sorted what i needed to do 3 seals, 3 gearbox remove and installs and a speedi sleeve later, all i did was cut two 0.7mm gaskets from gasket paper to sit behind the seal and then installed the seal. it moved the contact point out 1.4mm on the crank to a fresh bit, no more leak.

How bad is it leaking? Try the stop leak first.

Speedi sleeve.  And get someone to do it.  Without a hoist you'll swear and cuntfuck around wasting valuable drinking time.

Its an easy job and yeah you can do it yourself, but weigh up how much your time is worth to you.  About 4-5 hours if you do it.