Sign in to follow this  
```

Power Steering Coupling

Hi all,

is it possible to change the power steering coupling on my XD without having to dismantle anything (i.e. remove the steering column)?

As you can see,mine is a bit *@cked!!

post-1541-0-27986800-1473417655_thumb.jpg

the reason that is fucked is because it has had power steering box fitted to a non power steering column, you need to lever out the column to meet up with the thickness of the coupling(it slides up and down but is a tight fit)

removing the steering box might seem hard, but i would bet its still easier to do than any other way.

Hmmm nah . Usually it will be the other way , P/S box is longer than manual steer  so column needs to be shorter .  That steering shaft is way shorter :(

Pretty odd whatever has happened there , either way column needs to be slid out

removing the steering box might seem hard, but i would bet its still easier to do than any other way.

This^^

Mate that is shit scary, with the column being so short if that thing sheers you'll just be a passenger in the the drivers seat. The default pins that are there in case the coupling fails don't even meet the base of the column.

Whoever did that deserves to have a fucking huge kick up the arse.

Whoever did that deserves to have a fucking huge kick up the arse.

I can't believe it has never been picked up on a WOF check (vehicle inspection)!!

So I am going to have to take out the WHOLE steering column to try and bring the end of the shaft closer the shaft from the box or will I be able to 'lever' it out as deankdx says??

OK..so I have managed to pull the steering column shaft down (really easy,just used a crow bar to lever it down..not sure if it should be that easy??) undone the nuts holding the flexible coupling to the column, how do I get it off the spline on the steering box?

Gentle persuasion either side of it or would it be best to just remove the box and do it on a bench?

I don't want to damage the splines on the shaft on the steering box!

i lever them out the same way, had a couple that were easier than others. big crow bar would make light work of it.

i wouldn't do that job in the car, but if you can get to it you probably can have a go.. i did one only ever, rest have been done by the steering box mobs when recoing them.. i cant remember what holds it on even to be honest must be 20yrs nearly since i did one myself.

OK..so after the best part of a day removing the power steering box, replacing the flexible coupling, a quick dash to Repco for a 26mm socket, lots and lots of swearing and screaming trying to get the &@cking thing back in..we have this!!

post-1541-0-29578200-1473585265_thumb.jpg

not sure why I can't upload more than 1 photo at a time and only up to 113k??

maybe because I only have 12 posts?

Can admin help me on this??

Your better off getting a photobucket account, its free, and upload your photos there.

then copy the image code and paste that in your posts.

The pictures will come up full sized then to.

Your better off getting a photobucket account, its free, and upload your photos there.

then copy the image code and paste that in your posts.

The pictures will come up full sized then to.

haven't been able to get on with phototbucket for a long time...every file I upload turns out thumbnail size and I am buggered if I know why!!

best solution I can come up with at the moment!

Link to my Flickr album showing the 'before' and 'after' results!!

I feel a lot happier now :D

https://www.flickr.com/photos/82713055@N08/albums/72157673710856126

good to see you chose a factory style one with reinforcing and not a nolathane one(which would have = no steering in the old position for sure)

Good pics, thanks for posting them. Be a help to others.

can't say it's a job I would want to do again without taking off the headers or an extra pair of hands!!