Stu5766

378 stroker

G'day guys, I have the opportunity to get my hands on an " alleged " 378 stroker. ( chev rods )

What is the TDC to BDC measurement?? I think it's 3.75 inch, but want to know for sure, so I can see if it's the real deal.

Also haas anyone had experience with a 378??

I haven't done anything with them & there is limited info in Google land about them.

Cheers stu.

Yeah that works out right on a 0.030" over-bore.

Would need custom clevo pistons with Chev pins, or bushed to suit. The rods are machined on one side of the big end to get the right width on the journal. The crankpins are pretty thin once machined, I think the fillet radius size is critical, otherwise cracking is a problem. If the crank's a 4MA or 4MA-B, much better.

No further experience than that I'm afraid. Should be a torque monster.

Chev rods are nothing special.... No better than 351W ones. Clevos are race-bred so handle more rpm.

Still, if the engine's already built, no need to worry all about this stuff. Strokers using stock parts are not revvers, so just enjoy the low-mid range madness and laugh at every gearchange.

Well I do see the point but I still reckon it's more fun making stuff scream than cutting it short before 5 grand.

I'm thinking it would be a very mismatched parts V8 stroker to be all over by 5 grand.

If you put 302w heads on a 408w then yes....

Who builds a mental v8 and doesn't want to flog the living piss out of it though?

That's just unaustralian.

http://www.pavtek.com.au/index.php/in-stock-long-engines/310-408-windsor-gold-pro-635-hp-alloy-heads-dart-block-solid-cam-outright-discounted-20623

Nath For $16999 you can have this package, 635hp at 7200rpm, 540ft/lb. at 5500.

Has a bunch of torque and revs bloody well. Should cover off what you are looking for.

Back to the 378, looking forward to hearing more about it.

I did toy around the idea of a 393w using the 3.85 crank, 351w rods and 302w pistons in a 351w block I had lying around. For a budget build it had potential to be good street motor.

Yeah I'll just go to my money tree out back and buy that haha.

Hey Stu if it has chev rods can you put a chev badge on it? Probably more chev parts than an sv6.

Yeah I'll just go to my money tree out back and buy that haha.

Hey Stu if it has chev rods can you put a chev badge on it? Probably more chev parts than an sv6.

No chev badge, I'm going straight for a set of corvette racing flags!

So the 378 was a complete fizz.

Drove nearly 3 hours with the car trailer to find a completely rusted out XD Fairmont. (That's ok, I was expecting that ). Not one piece of the vehicle was salvageable.

Under the bonnet was a bog stock clevo that had standard thermoquad carby, standard inlet, a set of 2v heads ( reciept for reco 8 years ago. )

Standard valve train & valve springs.

The auto oil was burnt & had bits of metal on the dip stick.

The engine wasn't seized, but it had blown the bottom hose at some point in spectacular fashion.

It was on his oldmans property & according to the owner of the car it went really hard ( he reckons he drove it ) & was a 378 because the old owner told him it was. His oldman told me that it arived on a trailer one day & he never even heard it fire up.

It was a shame to see the case so far gone, because it was a matching numbers Fairmont with a set of log books in the glove box. The car must have been loved at some point in time, but too far gone to save. I'm sure the plastic was starting to rust!

Better luck next time Stu.

Sorry to hear about ya wasted trip.

Sent from my GT-S7583T using Tapatalk

Cheers jack. You never know if you never go.

I'd hate to have not gone & forever question did i miss out on something good.

Sometimes it takes abit of effort to find some good gear out there.

I almost bought it because I was there with the trailer & didn't want to go back empty.

Lucky for me I went with a mate who has walked around on this earth a few more years than me.

He simply said " look at this mess & honestly tell me what you can gain from it. Your only going to get this mess because you dragged a car trailer for 3 hours. " sometimes you can't beat the insight of age & experience & learning from my mates previous mistakes.