Sign in to follow this  
SirkWhyXF

Thoughts on cleaning out Diff with brake cleaner...

Rang the local diff joint and asked the question and old mate told me the only issue he had was it was too expensive.

When they clean out a diff they get out as much oil as possible by draining and mopping out with paper towel, then hit it with degreaser and a pressure wash with water and dry it all out with compressed air.

Was surprised to hear they sprayed water into a diff centre, but apparently its common practice.

Just interested to see what others have done?

Use an oil based degreaser, such as kerosene, 'neat-cut' if you can get it (low fumes), & use an extraction fan if possible.

I never use water based degreaser on engine/driveline components.

Rang the local diff joint and asked the question and old mate told me the only issue he had was it was too expensive.

When they clean out a diff they get out as much oil as possible by draining and mopping out with paper towel, then hit it with degreaser and a pressure wash with water and dry it all out with compressed air.

Was surprised to hear they sprayed water into a diff centre, but apparently its common practice.

Just interested to see what others have done?

Diesel or petrol would prob do the job if your in a pinch lol

Straya

Water isn't a problem if you can dry it out quickly, it's what I use to wash things off after a kero bath. Then hit everything with a WD spray then the water just falls out of it. I even wash out carbies with it, so you can see all the galleries squirting out and aren't blocked.

Diffs shouldn't be a problem with water if you don't let it sit too long. That gear oil coats everything in a layer of sludge anyway. At 7 bucks a litre, I can understand why diff places don't use it as a flush.

Use an oil based degreaser, such as kerosene, 'neat-cut' if you can get it (low fumes), & use an extraction fan if possible.

I never use water based degreaser on engine/driveline components.

Sorry, that should read 'narrow-cut'...

http://www.motonational.com.au/lubes-maintenance/kerosene/shell-narrow-cut-kerosene-detail

I'm still using kero I got from the pump at a Shell Servo. $1.18 per Litre. Bring your own drum. Remember those days!...

I just took lots of drums, thankfully.  :)

Now you can only buy it in a gold plated tin. Maybe solid gold, not sure but everything is expensive at a servo now thanks to the gready little... i'll just stop there. 

I remember the good old days with kero bowsers too. Kero was a good power booster if you added it to diesel. You could smell it out the exhaust when someone was doing that. Too much and you could burn holes in pistons though.

I remember the good old days with kero bowsers too. Kero was a good power booster if you added it to diesel. You could smell it out the exhaust when someone was doing that. Too much and you could burn holes in pistons though.

We have a Fordson tractor out here , one of the first diesel ones. Its hard to believe they made tractors to run off of just kero to get out of a fuel tax haha