wagoon

Battery for worked crossy

So Im going to need to buy a battery for when I get my sedan regod so thought I might as well buy it to suit my roller if it needs it. Just a refresher cause its been a while the engine has only around 10.5 CR and it will have a new style starter. The battery will be staying in the engine bay so it wont have to start the car from the boot. So will it need more CCA than standard?

i run a delkor 620 cca calcium , got mine 2nd hand off this guy who refurbish's batteries and gives a 12 month warranty paid 55 bucks , ill see if i can find you his number he just moved to out ipswich way .

only drama i had it was bit low on charge from sitting in his self , hooked up a good charger to it and its 100% perfect.

was running a 520cca in boot on 9.3 comp before this , would whind over pretty slow but still fast enough to start .

i would suggest no less then 600cca though

Don't use anything Century, they used to be good but we've had a lot of duds lately, sulphating up and some not even reaching a year before failure.

The best approach is to shove the biggest, dumbest lump of battery that will fit in there. The most expensive one won't necessarily be the best.

I use a sealed, valve-regulated battery that is probably like a deep-cycle. Looks like it belongs in an electric wheelchair but it cranks my clevo like a boss, is only the size of a small car battery. They hold charge for a ridiculous amount of time, I had one sit for 18 months and still had plenty of juice.

If you're running a bit of a cam then 10.5 comp won't matter when cranking.

I can vouch for Century batteries being shit in my car it only has to crank 8.4:1 with 240k on the clock and goes flat if you run the stereo for more than 1/2 an hour. Lots of sulphites too. You would be fucked at the drive ins, you wouldn't make it through the movie.

i run a delkor 620 cca calcium , got mine 2nd hand off this guy who refurbish's batteries and gives a 12 month warranty paid 55 bucks , ill see if i can find you his number he just moved to out ipswich way .

only drama i had it was bit low on charge from sitting in his self , hooked up a good charger to it and its 100% perfect.

was running a 520cca in boot on 9.3 comp before this , would whind over pretty slow but still fast enough to start .

i would suggest no less then 600cca though

Yes please mate as he has moved out my way so even better

Don't use anything Century, they used to be good but we've had a lot of duds lately, sulphating up and some not even reaching a year before failure.

The best approach is to shove the biggest, dumbest lump of battery that will fit in there. The most expensive one won't necessarily be the best.

I use a sealed, valve-regulated battery that is probably like a deep-cycle. Looks like it belongs in an electric wheelchair but it cranks my clevo like a boss, is only the size of a small car battery. They hold charge for a ridiculous amount of time, I had one sit for 18 months and still had plenty of juice.

If you're running a bit of a cam then 10.5 comp won't matter when cranking.

Cam is not real big but should help and yeah 10.5 is not all that much either

I reckon the ulitimate are the Ultima red or yellow top batteries. they last 10 years and have great CCA - downside is they aren't cheap.

Century = shit

Acdelco will last 2 years

Supercharge about 18 months

I used a CAT battery in my Mazda - same as diesel landcruiser - was $118 and it cranked. 

With your comp and that cam anything could be used in the bay and not cause an issue.  I'm yet to see a common battery last more than 2 years up here in the heat and humidity.  Only battery that could stand it was the Ultima.  but hey they are not cheap.  Especially when you own as many vehicle as I do.

Autobarn fathers day catalogue has a red top ultima for $250 which is apparently 800 CCA. If it's going to last that long then it may well be worth it as the car is a weekender and will sit for a bit so secondhand might die pretty quick.

Autobarn catalogue at bottom of page 7, the catalogue is online if you don't have one. It lists 4 different optima batteries. 34 Red $249, 34 Yellow $279, 34M Blue(I believe this is a marine battery) $279, 31A Yellow $349.

http://www.superstart.com.au/Products/ProductList/tabid/108/mode/details/pid/626/Default.aspx

only 1.4kg turns over the xflow like nobody's business even without the start retard 

save more weight and use the BF/FG starter as well, specially over the front axle in your case is only a good thing

So even though it's only rated at 360CCA it will start a crossy?? What makes it powerful enough to kick one over compared to a normal lead acid rated at the same CCA??

I have looked at lithium batteries before but I know how dangerous they can be and I don't want to have to buy a charger that is worth 4 times the battery price. Although I see the above battery does not require special charger, I'm guessing it would still be a good idea to put it in a blast bag when charging just in case.

I never had to charge it and sometimes it sits for over 4-5 months at a time. I have a master switch  - http://www.longacreracing.com/products.aspx?itemid=1643&prodid=7575&pagetitle=Weatherproof+Battery+Disconnect+-+4+Terminal

That one has 4 posts so big one for battery and other for alternator, when it's off the battery will last for a year or so as nothing drains it. It charges for the alternator ok so not sure where all the locomotion is. I used a Braille battery before 4.5kg and that was about 360cca and was ok as well.

When I start the car I do the following:

turn MSD on

flick the pump on to prime fuel, fuel pressure reads ok turn pump off

turn accusump on

start car

turn everything on

sometimes I just hit everything on and push the starter and works fine as well, can't show you pics now because in process of getting the ARC stuff in which is fucking awesome, google ARC-12000D

If I can buy something that very lightweight and will do the job then that is a huge bonus. My car will have electronic fuel pump but nothing else that will draw power while starting other than standard electrics (car has no power options at all or A/C)

yeah same here, no p/s no a/c 

has electric fans and water pump and two fuel pumps

if you use a MSD then you got start retard so you should have no issues, just get a good battery isolator and install it correctly and you'll be good to go 

Bought a yellow top optima today as I can always stick it in the boot to help with weight down the back if I have to.

The setup on this car is all about fun so light weight doesnt matter to much. When the car goes to full race (or in another shell) then will worry about weight. Thanks for all the input guys

Does reserve capacity amount affect anything?

Tbh I hardly know a thing about batteries. 4 of my cars have century batteries, and 2 have that white crystal stuff forming at the negative post. Is that what battery sulfating (sp?) is?

At the time that I bought the batteries, I thought century had a good rep, having a 36 month warranty...

I only have my baby Windsor, 10:1 comp, using a AU 6 cyl starter, and got a 600cca battery from Holden of all places in NZ, came with a four year warranty.

The Windsor winds over like its on crack.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Does reserve capacity amount affect anything?

Tbh I hardly know a thing about batteries. 4 of my cars have century batteries, and 2 have that white crystal stuff forming at the negative post. Is that what battery sulfating (sp?) is?

At the time that I bought the batteries, I thought century had a good rep, having a 36 month warranty...

Reserve capacity don't do much for starting, once the car is started then alternator takes over. Reserve capacity is good if you run accessories without the motor running. I got about 120amp/hour in my boat and i can pretty much listen to music, and troll for half day and it will still start the boat.

With the corrosion, just use really hot water and the bluish shit will just rinse off, so goes for the white crap. Then take the terminals off and some more boiling water then use some petroleum jelly smeared on it then put it back. That worked ok for me in the past and never had issues.