ando76

Carton motor critically injured

Well team many of you that have been on this forum for awhile will know of the legend crossflow that was affectionately known as the 'Carton of Beer' motor.

Well sad news. Last night the little motor that could was flying in the corty, 3rd and 2nd in the first two heats and embarrassing a lot of big $$ cars in the 3rd heat.  Then BAM

Brenton got helped into the wall, full noise on exit of turn 2.  Car hit the wall hard - rode it for awhile - went up and then came down with a big thud - tearing the right rear wheel off at the axle (30 spline Toyota Hilux axle no less).  The young fella is okay, bit of neck soreness but otherwise fine - thanks to the great safety features.

But the Carton of Beer motor is critically injured.  Pulled all the engine mounting bolt fixtures clean off the block and no doubt there are hairline cracks going right up the block to the welsh plugs.  Real shame.  Hopefully the internals will be okay and we can make it live again but I am not confident. 

The hunt is on now for another good 84DA block and pray we can resurrect the rest.  I know there are a lot worse things happening to people and the world in general at the moment but this little engine was so good to a lot of people. 

What is it with people getting helped into walls up your way, don't people know how to drive :angry:  Good to hear that Brenton is ok and no doubt you will have him up and running again shortly. Have to buy another carton to celebrate the genius that was the carton of beer motor. It's a bit like a stray dog, your not entirely sure on what has happened previously to you getting it but you treat it good and it will be loyal till the day it gets hit by some dumb bastard that can't drive.

Yeah pretty much.  Coincidentally it was the same car the helped me into the wall - different driver this time.

Just a real shame mate - as you know this is the engine I loan out to those whose have 'built' engines fail.  Just a real bugger as we just hit the set up on the Corty and she was flying. 

I'll piece something together for him.  Working on it as we speak, that way he can save his dollars to get the car fixed. 

Cheers gerg - I am keen to get something together for him.  Maybe its time to build that bigger motor for him .  He is a top young fella and he can steer that corty.  When you are stuck to the rear bumper of cars with $80,000 plus spent on them with a $600 x flow - you know your winning. 

That's why I do it - I just get such a kick out of seeing that, could watch it all night long.  I'll try and get the link to the vid where he just drives straight up the inside of a BA falcon and gone.  Mint - truly mint.   

thanks heaps men - feel a bit better about it today and I've decided for the mean time I am just going to build him the BIG motor he deserves so he can go out and really give it to these fools. 

going to invoice the bill for the carton motor to the car owner - sick of having my gear torn up by him.  F..k them - they want a fight - they got it...

Nothing left on the back side of 2 of the engine mount bosses bud.  Had a good look at it today and I have come up with a bit of a plan to save it so Brenton can race the tri-city challenge.

As the damage appears to be limited to the drivers side of the block, I'm going to make, sort of an engine plate if you like.  I'll make a plate up to pick up the 3 alternator bolt holes, the one remaining 'okay' engine mount boss and the unused bolt boss at the very back of the block.

Hopefully with a plate picking up on all these bolts and with a bit of additional bracing it will be strong as.  The engine mount can then be welded to the plate.  Bit dodgy but all I can come up with,  If you have a look at all these bolt bosses - they are all on the same plain so it should work.

just have not got enough time to get another engine together on top of all the other stuff going on.  Brenton and his Dad are working flat out and have the car back on 4 wheels and Dave, the bloke that helped him into the fence, has been awesome and is fixing the rack and all the suspension stuff.  Big tick there for me.  At least he has the balls to admit he was wrong and help out. 

I'll make the plate tomorrow and then it will be up to the boys to sort it as I am flat with other work.   

Good idea Ando every problem has its own little solution. Don't worry about dodgy, you don't spend the race standing there looking at how pretty your engine is. Once you shut the bonnet, the accelerator is all you think about.

Nothing you can't fix with a bit of angle iron and a stick welder

Cheers men - it was all I could come up with in the short time I have. 

Yeah Rob - mark of the man really.  Shame the car owner still hasn't said a word or offered assistance after he fenced me.  Karma my friend.

Gerg - my favourite saying - "they all look good with the chequered flag!"

Yeah mate - clutch failure.  she lost drive and did a couple of trips up to the rev limiter.  I've got the motor in the shop atm.  looking at an upgrade and a more permanent fix to the engine mount bolt situation. 

Looks like the carton motor might be going from the baby .515" flat tappet to a monster .597" lift with decent duration.  Also going to fit a much better cylinder head I have here as well so that should see him move forward a bit.

130915_012.jpg

and after a bit of lateral thinking and grinding

130915_014.jpg

and upgrade complete.

130915_006.jpg

much bigger camshaft, better cylinder head and a bit more compression. Bit of a real race motor now. Well it will do until I build him something better.

Nice plate!! Although I can't help but think I have seen that cutout and shape of the top of the plate somewhere else before :) Looks like a really good fix as that first pic is very very ugly

Yeah nice flowing hand drawn curves that came out similar to another product, lol.  They actually ran it last meeting with just that top bolt in and some others just in with whatever threads were left in the bottom of the broken bosses.  Hey its a race car and sometimes you just do what you gotta do to get back out there.

I'm thinking it will be pretty damn strong now.  I recessed the original engine mount top section into the plate and then butt welded it in.  Got some good solid welds in there on the front and back sides.  Also added a welded gusset on the side of the rear most engine mount bolt.