Panko

Con rods help

Hi guys, 

i have 3 sets of con rods, all still attached to pistons. one set has TRW on them, another set Ford (both these have 250 cast into them) then the 3rd set, have 3.9 cast into them. they look identical, but would i be right in thinking the 3.9 casting means they are from a 3.9L OHC engine? 

sorry i have no pics on this one :( 

if they are indeed OHC 3.9L rods, is there benefits of running them over a normal 250 cross flow rod? the ones cast as 3.9 are also attached to cross flow pistons. 

cheers guys

Yes 3.9 is a pretty good clue. I don't think there would be much difference between the two without seeing them side by side except for the rod bolts (perhaps) being metric.

I used 3.9 rods in my 250 before...but my question is when has anyone on here seen a xflow conrod brake ?

So with that said a set of ARP Windsor bolts or at least new metric OHC bolts on any rod will be enough. 

The later model rods are a bit heavier and therefor stronger I would believe.  seem to recall someone on the other site cutting them apart to show the difference.  I've seen the difference first hand and yeah later are heavier.

In reality like sly said they are not overly weak and can handle a fair bit of abuse - provided the oiling system and the tune are correct. 

In a boosted application I would use the later stuff as extra insurance.  In an aspo engine that you want to turn quickly I would go for the lightest rod.

New rod bolts (arp) are good insurance as these engines are getting on a bit now.  Having said that the standard bolts only go to 33nm so if the engine was standard bore, I'd happily re-use them.  Anything with an oversize bore and they might have been through a few tightening sequences and be getting a bit marginal in a performance/boosted application.