Panko

Different cross flow cranks

Hi guys, I have 3 cross flow cranks, 2 are the same, and 1 has a slightly different rear flange. I know one will be earlier version, one later, but i got no clue which one is which. please help...

AE4E1E94-BBCA-49CD-A84C-8F6DEA1E5E4C_zps

724DB2D4-6963-4E60-A9EE-17BDAD9EDEBC_zps

E8085860-38E2-429B-9863-E6C58D3EF25B_zps

11D92C95-4755-4595-9FD6-EA4CA37582AE_zps

Thanks mate. I have an 84da block that im keeping, and selling an 83da block so im hoping to work out which crank goes with which block. I know there is two different rear main seal types, im thinking the crank might have something to do with that too.

The crank with the flange will go in the 84 block

The other ones look to be either a rope style one or as said a later metric crank

Easy way to tell is try and screw a imperal flywheel bolt in it, if its a no go its a metric crank, if it goes in its the old rope style crank

Selling a crossy in bits? unless its something real good you will find a skip is the best place for it but that's only my views

I see you don't have the main caps on the block? do you have the caps that match that block? no caps the block will need line honing this is another cost most would not do in a basic build always keep the main caps that belong to that block you cant mismatch them 

So your not boosting yours now? 

Cool thanks.

Yeah its a long shot selling it in bits, but the reason im trying to sell it together is because it was built and fitted to an xe as a tuebo engine. Unfortunately i dont have the rest of the car to go with it.

I am boosting mine eventually, but i have another 84DA block which has never been machine. It was a running engine, pulled apart, bit yeah still all standard bores. So im probably going to turbo my engine initially, and i have a complete 84DA engine that i can build up when im ready.

The one with the cross hatches and flange is an early rope seal crank.  They are the lightest of all the cranks.

The other ones are neo - one piece seal.  the metric ones run a different (smaller from memory) neo seal to the imperial ones. 

The crank with the flange in it will only go into an early rope seal block.  The rear main cap has a recess in it for that flange.  Later blocks do not have that recess so the flanged crank will not go in unless you machine off the flange.

thanks heaps for that Ando. That answers that. The 83DA block i have for sale has that recess in it, but didn't have any idea what it was for. 

i knew there were two types of seals, because obviously my XF runs the single piece style.