Nath

XD Sedan Radio

Radios are easy to wire, there's normally about 12 wires (you'll only need to use 11).

Two wires for each speaker, acc power for radio, constant power - you'll have to hook this up to the fuse box or something as cars as old as x series didn't have constant power wires - and an earth. The other wire would be for automatic aerials but you won't have one of them.

The clock has constant power

The original AM Radio that was in my XD, ditched it as it didnt work.

1381226_753817967977958_1552078297_n.jpg

Heres the clock, its going into my XD ute

994058_759944207365334_569810795_n.jpg?o

The 4 pin plug should be there in the dash loom, if so its just 'plug 'n' play' as they say!

1451367_759944227365332_1329431418_n.jpg

I bought the aerpro headunit kit off ebay a while back, mounting bracket and din plate for an aftermarket headunit, Sony, JVC, Kenwood, Alpine, Pioneer etc

10401449_897912706901816_722470175055910

One seems to move, the other is tight as. Looks like there's a hexagonal nut/bolt head right up behind it, tried a socket but it still won't move. Don't wanna snap anything...

Took the blanking plate off, and there's no wire behind it only a small compartment thats part of the entire fascia. Behind that there's some wires but can't see an extra one for the clock, however I haven't taken the bottom fascia off, choke cable and hazard light switch is holding it on.

Edit: Ahh I see the compartment bit comes off. Just have to figure out how to remove the choke cable knob and the hazard light one without breaking them

14mm nut that holds the hazard light switch and a 17mm nut that holds the choke cable to the dash and an 8mm nut that holds the control knob onto the cable. Pop the cap off the control knob and unscrew the 8mm nut, then use a 17mm deep socket to undo the nut, the cable slides out the back of the dash. To take the control knob off the hazard light switch theres a little white tab you push donw on with a flat blade screw driver and it slides off the switch then get a 14mm deep socket for the nut that holds the switch to the facia panel.

Or you can do what i did when i pulled the AM radio out to replace the aerial for the RWC checkout. You can hunt for the 4 pin plug without taking the facia panel out.

Theres a screw behind that blank off plate to the dash, pop it out and take the phillips screw out, pull the choke out and you'll have whats pictured below, my XD is a ute so it has the ash tray in the dash instead of the short stumpy console thing.

1378706_753818171311271_1396783093_n.jpg

So this is why it sucks to buy stuff off ebay kids...

20141015_190159_zps529e5c63.jpg

Was in the description just didn't notice. Haven't had a chance to try and mount it but it looks like I'll have to dodgy something up if those clips are snapped.

Haha, a clock must have been an optional extra back in 1981 then... This must have been the poverty pack.

It was an optional extra in 1984 too.

edit -

There is no connection for a clock, in the GL wiring looms.

For the base models, the clock wiring looms were an add-on extra, spliced in with scotch-locks.

There are two versions of the clock also.

The XD and early XE clocks are a Siemens brand,  with the square plug and an inline resistor/suppressor thing.

They had more traditional looking yellow tinged green (or red) digits in the display.

Later clocks were made by VDO, and were in a very slimlined see-through green tinted casing.

The display digits are very small and the colour is more of a blue/green.

This clock has a thin narrow 4 pin plug - chassis mounted directly onto the circuit board of the clock unit.

Quick history lesson -

In 2001, Siemens Automotive merged with VDO, to become SiemensVDO.

Then in 2007, the Siemens Group, sold their SiemensVDO business, to the German company Continental for $15.66 billion.

Continental are best known in Australia, for their soft riding euro spec tyres.

I've only had a chance to peek behind the fascia as I haven't been able to get the choke cable knob off. Doesn't look like there's an extra plug back there... Might have to dodgy up my own.

So I was going to take the clock from the ZK Fairlane - Only thing is it seems to be riveted in - thought it might have been an alan key but nope...(what a spastic way to install a clock). Any ideas how I can remove it without breaking stuff?

Already had one I bought off ebay, figured I'd just use the faceplate but of course it's different and won't fit that clock.

What's the best way to wire it up? Can I take the wiring for it off the ZK and just plug it in to the XD?

20141113_185614_zps082d3e59.jpg