ando76

My Clevo build - Thoughts

Took a better picture of my inlet manifold 'de-badging'. I'm happy with the way it came up, painted Ford Blue, its going to look ace.

IMG_2268.jpg

Finished all the oil gallery mods.

IMG_2271.jpg

The oil pump feed to the filter port was particularly poor as was the alignment of the head drains into the block. gave them all a clean up out to gasket area and Cam has done some serious work in the heads to assist.

Whilst this is no race engine, I am just really particular about the oil system of any engine, especially the return to the sump path. I laid back the valley holes and increased them by half as big again. This will not effect the strength as I have seen a big comp roller cam clevo have them taken out to 1" without an issue.

Just have to get into the shed and give the block a good clean out and oil up. Once that is done I can wrap it up and send it down to Cam with all the goodies for machining. Getting excited now.

Appears the previous owner of this piece of history had not heard of coolant/rust inhibitor

IMG_2277.jpg

Never mind - got all the scale out and cleaned it all up

IMG_2275.jpg

Crank is back in so I just need to make up a box/pallet for it and all the good bits for the trip down south. Yahoo.

I really worry about hot tanking them as it usually loosens all the crap up and then it just keeps on coming and you are forever cleaning out the filter/radiator. 

Cam was not overly worried - will see what happens when it gets down there.  I have smashed it with the high pressure hose so anything that was coming off is gone well I hope so.

edit - the heads were not that bad.  I think old mate may have failed to drain the block fully and it is a combination of that and low or no coolant.

i usually use a stiff bristle (a metal or stiff as shit nylon) pipe cleaner after the hot tanking to clean out the water galeries, helps a lot, and then just clean the filter.

id rather do that than corrosion, lesser of 2 evils, but each to their own.

Thanks Jack - It looks bad but in reality I think it is just from the welsh plugs shitting themselves due to water being left in the block when they started pulling the car down.  Yeah there is some bad bits but I think it will clean up.

I love the machine shop as well, particularly Cam's little area where he tickles the cylinder heads, in his lunch time cause like me, he just lives for engines.  I really like getting blocks back, all with fresh machined surfaces, ready for cleaning and assembly.  It seriously gives me the biggest buzz - especially when you are building someone else's dream.

Tomorrow's job is to make a new 'coffin' for the block and bits and pieces - with enough room for the freshly ported heads to be put in for the return journey.

I think that would be any car head's dream.... A shed fitted out with every known piece of machinery in it to do any job conceivable.

I knew a bloke who lived on a few acres and his old man used to collect mills, lathes, English wheels, presses, you name it... Worst thing was that he had no use for them, just liked having them there. Bastard.

I love shiny, freshly machined engine bits. Seems almost a shame to assemble them and hide them away inside the engine.

I'm on my way there Gerg - Just got a 3 in 1 last Tuesday to add to my beadroller.  Starting to get the shed right now - best thing I ever did was put in the hoist and the pallet racking.  great additions to any shed.

Yeah once they are all zipped up you can't really tell the difference between a rattle can re-build and full house, blueprinted engine build with all the good bits.