waynegrovs

Engine for my xc ute

I have a matching numbers xc gs ute fitted with a 302 clevo c10 std bw diff, currently in a long rebuild, what I'm looking to do is turn the 302 into a 351 running arround 10:1 comp (to be safe on our shitty fuel or maybe go higher and run E85). At the moment (as I brought it) she runs a 600 vac holley and I think a mild cam

it has a single contact points dizzy in it. What should I do to get about 400 to 450hp out of her the car will be mainly street driven with the odd run down the stip my budget with be arround $6000 to $7000 I want the vehicle reliable and running hydrulic cam. And yes I will change to disc brake 9" between 3.25 and 3.5:1 ratio

I have a matching numbers xc gs ute fitted with a 302 clevo c10 std bw diff, currently in a long rebuild, what I'm looking to do is turn the 302 into a 351 running arround 10:1 comp (to be safe on our shitty fuel or maybe go higher and run E85). At the moment (as I brought it) she runs a 600 vac holley and I think a mild cam

it has a single contact points dizzy in it. What should I do to get about 400 to 450hp out of her the car will be mainly street driven with the odd run down the stip my budget with be arround $6000 to $7000 I want the vehicle reliable and running hydrulic cam. And yes I will change to disc brake 9" between 3.25 and 3.5:1 ratio

Get a good dizzy for it first, ie ICE or MSD, then get a msd digital programmable box, very easy to tune the spark that way, then change the diff ratio. 

after that i would start looking at options for stroking the engine ect .. but u will be amazed on how much better it will run with a proper ignition and 3.5 ratio diff!

thanks for the advice should I look at using the 6" 302 rods or not at the moment the engine runs real well you can have it sit for 6 mths and she stars after 5or 6 winds of the starter no rattles or smoke

Also forgot to add at the moment when she gets a warmed up she tends to pre ignite when you turn her off I think the timing chain is most likely seen much better days

Also forgot to add at the moment when she gets a warmed up she tends to pre ignite when you turn her off I think the timing chain is most likely seen much better days

Car is meant for unleaded fuel. you will prolly find that it will stop once u put a good dizzy/box in it. my corty did that before i put an electronic dizzy in it 

no need for E85 for that power.

if you are planning a full build, this is my suggestion.

351, 20 thou overbore

6" rods, forged pistons to suit, 10.5:1 comp

alloy heads (AFD 2v will best the best bang for buck) with matching intake

roller rockers etc

mild hyd cam (lunati 62503 will be suffice for 450ish hp/420ish ftlbs, though there is plenty of other options)

balanced bottom end

700cfm carby, may as well order a pro systems etc to suit and save on the tuning costs later on

ignition an XD/E elec dizzy will do, just get it graphed to suit motor,  and then if you want a rev limiter get a control box...

very simple, very easy, very reliable. nothing high tech, not really much to go wrong either.

if you really want E-85, alloy heads, 12.5:1 compression and same combo, will be extremely responsive to drive, really torquey, but be prepared for obvious extra fuel burn and difficulty finding fuel at times.

thanks for the advice a little more its probably wank factor I know but I'd like a nice cammy note a idle and as for exhaust should I go tuned headers and twin 2.5" exhaust and what carb setup do you sugest I have had trouble with a 750 holley before keeping tune and developed a bit of a flat spot in an xc intercepter I owned but when running right it went very well from what I remember the specs were as follows 40 thou over cast fat tops not balanced 750 holley sigerson hi-flo 1H cam wide ratio toploader from a 6 cylinder corty pig to get off the line with the auto diff but howled in second and thirdwas also running 2.25 twin no headers no I dea what power it had but went ok

4>1 headers (pacemaker) twin 2.5" pipes, try and go a straight through muffler, this actually does make a difference in how the car performs, even if you run a hotdog behind it to quieten it down a bit.

get your carby tuned by someone who knows what they're doing and can set it up how you want it (depending on your state may be able to recommend someone) or just order a pro systems/zok race carb/quickfuel to suit and it'll be pretty good out of the box.

lunati 62503 at idle, nice lope. the 62504 will make more HP but has a much more agressive power band and idle.

who makes a good std stroke 351 crank I have heard pro comp are crap, I dont want to spend shit loads on it upto about $500 max or should I look arround for a 2nd hand 4ma

just look around for a good standard crank.

4MAB is factory balanced, thats the only difference between 4MA and 4MAB. both made from the same grade metal etc.

^ not wrong, they are strong as fuck, only reason im replacing my rods is because of smurf juice. not sure how well they'll hold up with a decent shot.

standard clevo crank balanced will hold together at 7500+rpm seen it plenty. obviously needs ARP bolts & studs to do so.

but back in the nascar day they used to sit them at 7000+rpm brand new.

just look around for a good standard crank.

4MAB is factory balanced, thats the only difference between 4MA and 4MAB. both made from the same grade metal etc.

I knew they're Brinell-tested for hardness but didn't know about the balancing.

thamks for all the info I am thinking of aftermarket rods after reading factory 302 rods are a bit soft who makes good rods at a decent price and what roller rockers should I use (brand wise)

rods will be fine, i've seen a motor make over 500hp with them and it's still going, see's 7000rpm all the time too.

just put decent rod bolts in, if you're really worried you can get them shot peened... but really no need.

roller rockers, yella terra are good, or comp, or crower etc