Anthony Pllu

EFi250 to 351 Clevo

Hey guys

I have 2 FD ltds one is a efi250 one is a 351 clevo.

Going to take 351 and box out and put in the other car. 

Both cars are running is there anything that i need to watch for? do i have to swap the diffs they are both 2.77.

do i have to swap the fuel tank? as one is a efi pump one is the small pick up unit.

is the loom from the ignition similar or shall i just swap over the whole wiring system.

Is the cluster different?

is the k frame different. not sure if the FD even has one. 

Going to start taking the 351 out more than likely tomorrow.

will take a million pics so i have a idea on where is all goes back.

any tips would be great

to save headaches swap everything bar the diff mechanically. wiring looms should be similar, but ive never done one on an FD. cluster will be different if it has a tacho.

swap the tanks fixes the pickup issue, you will need to swap out the hard fuel line as well (where it goes through to the engine bay) and re run the fuel line anyway, they are probably different sizes, plus changing fuel line that old is probably a good idea anyhow.

radiator etc is different so make sure you swap out all that. is the 351 car matching nos? if so maybe think twice before stripping it...

Yep, what he said. ^ ^ ^

Everything fits. (Except fuel line is different.) Transfer all of it, up to the diff centre. Dash clocks as well, 6 cyl tacho/speeod will read incorrect. Tailshaft uni joints SHOULD be the same on the diff, but measure the caps just in case. Probably easiest to pull the whole wiring loom out, at least you'll have the right wires/connectors, saves heaps of time. Mark the wires as you disconnect them with masking tape and texta. Oil sender, Alt, etc.....

Lots of photos is good. Post 'em up when ya get a chance.

351 diff should be a limo, box should be C4 or FMX, so swap the whole lot as the kind lads before have already said. Easier to swap the engine and tranny wholus bowlus to avoid fucking around with lining up converters and flex plates and crap like that. Power steer lines I think are the same (according to some parts mobs) but you'll want the V8 springs and sway bar if you don't want jelly handling and the car sniffing the road with it's bum in the air.

is the 351 car matching nos?

if so maybe think twice before stripping it...

I've asked this question on xfalcon, if it was me I would strip the six cylinder and use for parts for the factory 351 which is rare as in FD worth more and will hold better value than a 6 converted 8 car.

Too much stuffing around with EFI to convert to 8, to run a legally 1982 V8 in a EFI FD without engineers certificate it will have to be a 1982 shell (your being 1983) and on gas but that the 1983 model didn't come out in a v8 as will always have issues from Regency/RTA/RACV.

My 351 ones worth

No problems with rego on vic putting a v8 into an 83 or 84 xe/zk/fd. Just an engine number change, done it a few times.

Wish it was as easy as Vicroads, every state has different laws especially Regency (Adelaide) are really tuff with these type conversions as you need an engineers certificate.

i would love to just fix up the 82 as it is all matching 351/FMX numbers, but the floor pan is gone the underside of the car is full of rust, if you jack it up you cant close the doors due to it twisting. the interior is a mess, everypanel needs replacing, would love to  have a matching 351 but i have no want to sell it so im not bothered about resell value. 

already spoken to regency they said just to provide the engine number and the rego will go up a few bux, as its still a FD i can do it, if it was a FE then could not

ill be pulling the 83 down to a bare engine bay as want to give it a paint first before the 351 goes in. 

Sweet.  Don't forget piccies.....

Wish it was as easy as Vicroads, every state has different laws especially Regency (Adelaide) are really tuff with these type conversions as you need an engineers certificate.

If the car came out the factory with a V8, it's pretty easy to do engine swap. XF/FE didn't, so you need an engineers report.

If the the FD 351 has rust you've done a great decision on another body, use everything from the V8 body to put onto the EFI body car example Wiring looms/dash/diff/petrol tank/ etc.

Best of luck with it all.

Sweet.  Don't forget piccies.....

If the car came out the factory with a V8, it's pretty easy to do engine swap. XF/FE didn't, so you need an engineers report.

and good luck with that. regency dont even pass that now unless it is way over engineered. had a mate of mine want to do a v8 convo on a xf ute, regency said no. so he questioned and looked into it alot more to find that if he bought one already converted interstate, with all the paperwork, it can be transfered to sa. work that one out! so thats what he did. still got it too, and sa rego'd!

yeah will start on it tomorrow as the 250 just blew a P/S line and pissed fluid all over my driveway and down the road so pulling it down now. 

FFS! Well again, it had been sitting awhile, guess it got brittle over that time.

As everyone has said, make sure to take lots of photos. What colour you painting it?

thinking just another coat of white, i have thought about a black bay tho. 

yeah the line has split next to the steel cover on it. ahwell have to get a new line for the 351 anyway but was kinda hoping to see if i could use that one to save myself $109