ltdute

oil drain

Yep. I welded a 5/8" fitting in when I had the engine out to rebuild it.

You might be able undo the engine mounts, lift up the engine and drop the sump enough to keep the swarf out. Drop the oil first.

I recon engine out would be easier though.

I know a guy who hammered a piece of pipe cut off on a angle then tigged it in, didn't even drop the oil. Pretty dodge I know, been on for about 8 months now still dosnt leak. +1 for taking the engine out and doing it properly myself.

haha falcon76 sounds like something I would try. cant be arsed taking the damn motor out........... any one have any photos or links to photos showing the best location in the sump? apparently you need to watch for the oil pickup??

same i did mine on a hoist bud welded a bung to the top of the sump

drained the oil then refiled when i was done did not want to wast 2nd had oil :)

How did you put the hole in the sump and not fill the sump with swarf? 

How did you put the hole in the sump and not fill the sump with swarf? 

drill slow and hope for the best its not like it was a nice engine it was a 250.000km dunger

Use a tapered punch and work your way up in size until a 1/2" or 3/8" npt hose fitting will fit just inside the tapered hole you made from the punch. Next use a air ratchet or rattle gun to screw the fitting in.

No sparks, no heat or swarf using my method. Done that on several engines that are still in the car all with success.

Another wacky idea... Use the sump plug as a banjo fitting? I did it on my corty as the block was out of a Falcon and hadn't been drilled for the Corty dipstick, so i made a banjo bolt, my own dipstick and tube.

Another wacky idea... Use the sump plug as a banjo fitting? I did it on my corty as the block was out of a Falcon and hadn't been drilled for the Corty dipstick, so i made a banjo bolt, my own dipstick and tube.

I dont think an oil drain to the sump plug is a good idea. That port would feel the full weight of all the oil in the sump and prevent oil from freely returning to the sump. What about tapping the fuel block off plate if you're not running a mechanical fuel pump? plus you can remove it to drill.

I dont think an oil drain to the sump plug is a good idea. That port would feel the full weight of all the oil in the sump and prevent oil from freely returning to the sump. What about tapping the fuel block off plate if you're not running a mechanical fuel pump? plus you can remove it to drill.

Yeah fair call, banjos don't flow that well at low pressure, maybe a JIC/UN-O fitting would do it. Fuel pump flange is a good one if not using a mechanical one

Mines on the turbo side, just behind alternator bracket up high on the sump. Was done with engine out. Ive been trying to get some pics up for about 45mins but unless I make them tiny they wont upload. even at 200x200 pixels