Sign in to follow this  
Gandalf

Sourcing origina Clevo block

Ok..... What are the chances of finding my original 302c block. Are there any sites or departments I can go to? The last owner had a 400m and c6. He told me when he bought it off the original owner it had a reco motor in it. I have the details of the old boy who bought it brand new in 1977, but can't get any info on his whereabouts. I'd imagine he is about 106 years old by now. Surely there is a government department that will do a search. Any pointers would be much appreciated.

You would have to know one of the MIB's at the rego office. I don't think anyone else can search for an engine number, as no-one else has a database.

Chances are, the block has been turned into a 351, melted in a furnace, or at simsmetal.

Buy some number stamps, and find a milling machine......

Sorry mate, anyone else ???

You would have to know one of the MIB's at the rego office. I don't think anyone else can search for an engine number, as no-one else has a database.

Chances are, the block has been turned into a 351, melted in a furnace, or at simsmetal.

Buy some number stamps, and find a milling machine......

Sorry mate, anyone else ???

Have got the milling machine and stamps but thats a noticeable way of doing it. I guessed I'd be hitting a brick wall with this one.

Ring your local rego branch and ask if they can do a search for the last registered owner of the engine and contact them on your behalf (they won't give out contact details due to privacy laws). Vicroads in the past have done this and they contact the current owner with a request to sell the engine if it is currently not in a vehicle. A mate had this done and the guy who owned the engine agreed to sell it back on the proviso he was given another standard block to build up. This was a fair few years ago now so I don't know if they do it anymore.

Buy some number stamps, and find a milling machine.....

Then what happens come rego time  if the same engine number pops up in another car?

Ring your local rego branch and ask if they can do a search for the last registered owner of the engine and contact them on your behalf (they won't give out contact details due to privacy laws). Vicroads in the past have done this and they contact the current owner with a request to sell the engine if it is currently not in a vehicle. A mate had this done and the guy who owned the engine agreed to sell it back on the proviso he was given another standard block to build up. This was a fair few years ago now so I don't know if they do it anymore.

Thanks XM, will ring Vic roads, I bought it 5 years ago in ballarat. It's worth a try I guess.

Then what happens come rego time  if the same engine number pops up in another car?

Then you're in the POO !

I wouldn't do it, not ever, not even once...........it's against the law. :ph34r:

Had no intention of illegally changing engine number on a different block. If I don't have any luck I'll go alloy, dart, world or arrow block. Nothing like a matching no's gs v8 ute though. Then again, matching or not, it'll never be worth as much as a coupe or gt. Just a personal thing I guess.

That's what I'm going to do with my XB GS Panno - get an Arrow or Todd Buttermore, or similar repro cleveland block.

Then stamp it with my original engine/VIN number. (maybe with an extra prefix/digit on the end, to denote it's repro origin.)

Some dope put an American F-truck engine in my panno.

That's what I'm going to do with my XB GS Panno - get an Arrow or Todd Buttermore, or similar repro cleveland block.

Then stamp it with my original engine/VIN number. (maybe with an extra prefix/digit on the end, to denote it's repro origin.)

Some dope put an American F-truck engine in my panno.

I rooted my Sheila in the back of an xb gs 302 pano, gold it was. 1984 was the year..…man what a year that was. Stamping idea sounds good, like that !

you dont want to remove the rough finish were the engine number goes the cops will lock you up,

Reckon a cop would even know ?  Most engines have a machined surface for the engine number, Clevo's were stamped onto rough casting.

Vic roads have minimum records at best, Tried to have them search my engine number and they have no accurate records pre 1980 so they said that when i register it they will either create a new record with my car/engine combo or issue me with a new number that i will have to have stamped on my engine. By the way, a lot of reco engines had the engine numbers ground off and restamped, it was common practice if the source of the engine could not be verified.

Would you need to contact every rego authority? Perhaps a previous owner took the engine out and while registered in NSW. Id love to track down the original engine for my coupe. If you could find a matching date US un stamped Clevo block, it's as good as original IMO