Perky

Oil for my crossy

Hay guys time for another oil change

I've done 3 thousand ks sence the rebuild n I've been using valvolene oil that they supplied from the engine builder n been adding the engine running in additive....

So time to go get my own oil but don't really no what to get

Anyone got a good oil they use n have stuck with?

Cheers Dave

Hi we'll it's been fully ballanced n has a bit of a cam can't remeber specs n runs straight gas with port work

Cheers for the reply

Il get cam specs out if u want them?

I also use penrite full synthetics, I ran 10/40 in my 250xflow falcon with 300xxxkm and it was fine with oil pressures. 12.5 PSI hot engine idle at 550/600-rpm

Im using hpr30(20w60), although mine isnt new. Look into HRP10 (10W50). They have a gas version of both 30 and 10, but im not sure if they're any better than the originals. If anyone can elaborate on that, i'd like to know too

Im using hpr30(20w60), although mine isnt new. Look into HRP10 (10W50). They have a gas version of both 30 and 10, but im not sure if they're any better than the originals. If anyone can elaborate on that, i'd like to know too

I couldn't agree more with the 20w60. I've always been too afraid to run 10w50. Just thought it might be a bit too light for warm weather idling. Just my opinion though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Hay well thanks for all the feedback been great as always......:-)

I went with Penrite 20w60 I hope I made the right choose.....

I spent ages at repco looking at all the different oils it was doing my head in I was just worried I spent lots of money n time on my crossy n don't want to kill her so thanks for all your info guys......

Hay well thanks for all the feedback been great as always......:-)

I went with Penrite 20w60 I hope I made the right choose.....

I spent ages at repco looking at all the different oils it was doing my head in I was just worried I spent lots of money n time on my crossy n don't want to kill her so thanks for all your info guys......

Good choice. There are some really good big dollar oils like Rob mentioned that are the go if your have serious shit going on in your engine.

For an off the shelf oil in our crossflows i recommend HRP30 full mineral as choice 1 or HPR gas 20 full mineral choice 2

If you are running high ethanol mixes then go full sin racing 20. Racing 15 will be okay if your engine is really tight and has good oil pressure.

Do not use ANY additives in any of these oils, You don't need it. I mean it, extra Zinc (zddp) and teflon (ptfe) will do NO good after run in. These oils have sufficient zinc and molly (or boron?) levels and teflon don't do shit to help engines it just gets stuck in your filter.

The only additive i might use is Lucas oil stabilizer but only in old tired engines that actually need it.

I can talk for pages on why i choose these oils over other off the shelf oils but i wont.

Here: http://www.penriteoil.com.au/tech_pdfs/4197%20E85%20COMPATIBLE%20OILS.pdf

and here: http://www.penriteoil.com.au/tech_pdfs/0192%20September%202013%20-%20Automotive%20Engine%20Oil%20Summary.pdf

I just use 20/50 Penrite Everyday, or Valvoline Classic (only cause I've got a heap of it) in my heaps. Change it and the filter every 5000ks. I use Baldwin oil filters when I can get them.

Yeah no additives this oil change noticed that the Penrite had the zinc in it already so was thinkin to much of a good thing is sometimes bad yeah........

Done the oil change yestaday been diving around today all seems well great day for a bit of a cruise:-)

Have you got a um and efficiency rating on the Baldwin filters?<br /><br />The oil nerds are pretty set on motorcraft filters as far as ford goes. They are apparently made really well and ya cannot go wrong with them. The motor craft AFL1 and the Ryco Z9 are apparently identical filters, both made by ryco for Australia now. just have different packaging. You can get the american motorcraft FL-1A filter through Ford for under $10. They usually have to order it in, It is still made by motorcraft and is of a higher quality than the Ryco clone apparently. All these filters are rated to 40um @ 99% (micron)as far as i could decipher without calling the companies.<br />When you get the micron rating made sure you get the efficiency as well, the micron rating is useless without knowing the efficiency. Flow rate is a good one to get if you can but most places dont have that information available. Fleetguard was the best for this i found.<br /><br />I'm on a filter kick at the moment and over the last week and a bit have been doing lots of reading and cross referencing of filters trying to pick a brand to stick with for my Jackaroo. Purchased $170 of filters off a Sydney supplier on Friday, a box (12) high efficiency oil filters and 3 of each of the diesel filters (its dual stage).<br />am going to ring up on Monday and add half a doz Donaldson filters for Betty now.<br /><br />The first link is the standard OEM spec filter equiv to the Ryco Z9. The second link is a synthetically composed medium high efficiency filter to work as an upgrade of the Z9 equivalent. 99% efficiency at 22um<br />http://www.donaldsontoolbox.com.au/search/partdetail/view/P550008<br />http://www.donaldsontoolbox.com.au/search/partdetail/view/P169071<br />

For the "High Performance" type:

B2-HPG and B6-HPG

BX=2: 6 microns
BX=75: 20 microns
Established Micron Rating: 6
Average Efficiency: 89.35 %
Burst PSI: 200

Flow
3PSI: 2GPM
5PSI: 3GPM
15PSI: 6GPM
25PSI: 9GPM

Standard:

B2 and B6 Filters

BX=2: 12 microns
BX=75: 30 microns
Established Micron Rating: 12
Average Efficiency: 85.2 %
Burst PSI: 200

Flow
3PSI: 1.5GPM
5PSI: 3GPM
10PSI: 5GPM
15PSI: 7.5GPM
20PSI: 9GPM
25PSI: 11GPM

Looks like I should stick to good old Ryco then!