Sign in to follow this  
78xcgxl

Tyre options for a XC sedan

Hi all,

I am thinking about getting some new rims from the XC. They are 15 by 7 globes for the front and 15 by 8 for the rear.

Now for tyres:

Front tyres i am thinking of getting BF Goodrich T/A 225/60/R15

Rear tyres i am thinking of getting BF Goodrich T/A 275/60/R15 ( not sure if going to fit and is it too big for a 8 inch wide rim)

Second option for the rear is BF Goodrich T/A 255/60/R15

Would love any thoughts and ideas

Cheers.

60 will be too tall in a 275, 50s the go once you get fat . How fat you go is a matter of taste . Depending on the offset any bigger than a 255 will foul stock wheel arch lips.that said with rolled lips and the right offset 295/50/15s can fit, even on 8s.<br />

Go the 50's, I've got 275/60's, hancook and I can't even fit a cigarette paper between the guards and they're rolled. I like the taller profile though. The 50's I had before were a lot squarer profile and dropped the rear nicely. Good luck.

Go the 50's, I've got 275/60's, hancook and I can't even fit a cigarette paper between the guards and they're rolled. I like the taller profile though. The 50's I had before were a lot squarer profile and dropped the rear nicely. Good luck.

Yeah really don't want to roll the guards, i hope 265/ 50 fit with no issues. The car is going to look so tuff with a fat rear end, so over the cheese cutters! Wish XC sedan tubs were like ZHs and coupes, you can fit 295 on those beasts no problem!

Yeah really don't want to roll the guards, i hope 265/ 50 fit with no issues. The car is going to look so tuff with a fat rear end, so over the cheese cutters! Wish XC sedan tubs were like ZHs and coupes, you can fit 295 on those beasts no problem!

I'm gonna narrow the rear on the ute. Some good projects on here. I'm not satisfied with XY length 9", 10" rims, rolled guards and Tyres that actually measure 315 mm from outside to outside. Want something that says "stay clear" from the rear !

You could modify the wheel tubs in the boot. Make them squarish, and this stops the tyre from rubbing on the inside. Add wheel spacers to adjust the offset.

Just a couple of other ways of doin' it. Personally, I would stick to tyre sizes that are easy to come by. 295/50 series are expensive and hard to find.

Good luck, lots of photos if you please...... :D

Ok, cheers Ants.

Been a while since I've looked, you're right, they are relatively cheap. Coopers or Maxxis.

I was thinking more of Bridgestone, Yokey 352 or BFG style. Shows how old I am.

Well here is a couple of teaser pics. Many, many hours spent on the wheels wet sanding, paint stripping,polishing and the wheels have come out awesome. Still need to get a new set of tyres and bob's your uncle. Unfortunately due to the stupid offset of the rear wheels, it  means i won't be able to run any tyres over 235s without rolling the guard. The tyres that came with wheels were 225s for the 15 by 8 rims and there is already not much room between the tyres and guard lip so fingers crossed the 235s fit. The front wheels  came with 205 tyres in which I'm stepping up to 215s. So simply going up one size on tyres.

20131020_142707_zpsacf9321e.jpg

20131024_185607_zps273c6b26.jpg