Yes.40L

What engine

Hey all,

I gave been advised that this is a 351 Cleveland. Can someone confirm?

It's in a 76 f100 that I just put a deposit in

Thanks in advance

I will be able to get some better photos is a couple weeks when I pick it up

9996F89E-DA86-470C-BC55-88C8DD327426-420

Easiest way to check while the engine is still assembled it to pull a spark plug and measure the stroke using a piece of wire mark top dead centre and bottom dead centre Andrade the difference between the marks 4 inches is a 351 and 3.5 is a 302

At least it runs, or is in that picture anywayq

Looks like a goer eh Thom from the pic.

To bad if it aint a 351, you put a deposit on it.

351's are over rated anyway. Rip the sump off it

and check for the big 351 stamped on the crank.

Good excuse to change the gasket and rear main seal anyway.

Not all 351's have 351 cast into the crank, pre xa (before 302's were produced) a clevo crank will have either 4m, 4ma or 4mab stamped into the leading counterweight, all 302 Cleveland cranks have 302 cast into the crank, it's only the Aussie cranks that have the size on them the us sourced cranks don't because there was only one size clevo in production at that time

Isnt it 3" for 302 and 3.5" for 351?

Yep , 4" is for a 400, which is a taller block anyway.

If it's an undisturbed, original head engine, you can tell externally if it's open (351) or closed (302) chamber by the casting lumps at the end of the head as it meets the block.

On pulling the sump, the 302 crank will have "302" cast into it, whereas the 351 will have "4M", "4MA" or "4MA-B".

(edit) you beat me to it Thom.

Agreed. 4" bore x 3.5'' stroke is a 351. (unmolested)   3" stroke is a 302ci.  Clevo heads are rectangular shaped on the ends, with 4 threaded bolt holes, Windsors are sort of triangular. ?  Most Windsor engines have the thermostat housing as part of the intake manifold. Clevo's have it on the front of the block.

This advice is general, for further details call 1800 DILLIGAF. Call costs 0.50cents/min, higher from mobiles, if you're desperate.

Its a cleveland but cant say if its a 302 or 351 by looking at it. You have to measure the stroke.

Easiest way to check while the engine is still assembled it to pull a spark plug and measure the stroke using a piece of wire mark top dead centre and bottom dead centre

Isnt it 3" for 302 and 3.5" for 351?

Yup this will tell you. i did it to my engine to check.

Stroke-Test1.jpg

Stroke-Test2.jpg

Stroke-Test3.jpg

Stroke-Test4.jpg

Stroke-Test5.jpg

Not all 351's have 351 cast into the crank, pre xa (before 302's were produced) a clevo crank will have either 4m, 4ma or 4mab stamped into the leading counterweight, all 302 Cleveland cranks have 302 cast into the crank, it's only the Aussie cranks that have the size on them the us sourced cranks don't because there was only one size clevo in production at that time

Well there you go, I forgot that somebody might have brought it in from the USA, thanks thom, id hate to give somebody a bum steer.

Other way to tell if its a Windsor or Cleveland is the location of the thermostat housing.

Windsor have it bolted to the intake manifold and on Cleveland it bolts straight onto the engine block which is awesome when you have old corroded housing bolts that snap like twigs!!!

Great memories