Mr Polson

High Idle - EFI xflow

Have you tried just swapping the throttle bodies back over to see if that helps? Or did you have to dismantle the one that was on it to make up the shinny one?

Not yet Nova, that's a plan for the weekend if the EGR doesn't turn out to be the problem.

I kept the original one from the wagon intact, used another one I got to assemble the shiny one.

If you have dodged it somehow and that butterfly doesnt seal 100% around the orrifice then thats ur problem right there. Or if youve left out a shaft seal and its sucking air in thru the side then thats just as bad. U will be surprised at how small of an opening will feed a 4.1L engine at idle. When fiddling with the tps arrangement on my megasquirt xflow with no isc i treid shutting the butterfly completely air tight and drilling a 1/8th hole in the butterfly same as a race carb has to help with idle mixtures and the thing idled at 950rpm. I needed a smaller hole to get it down to 800rpm so i used a 3.0mm bit and that worked well.

Pulled this from here: http://www.fueltech.com.au/trade_vehicletips.html

STALLING XF EFI FALCONS
A common problem in automatic XF Falcon & ZL Fairlane. Because the engine is such a long stroke device, the air flow meter setting is very important. Any air leaks from inlet manifold, EGR valve, rear main seal will cause the engine grief - fix them first. After a basic tune of timing, plugs, fuel etc., and after ensuring the transmission is OK - should stall test 1850 to 2000 rpm - the following sequence should have the old girl purring.

1. Disconnect idle speed motor, select drive against hand brake, set idle to 550 rpm from the throttle body air screw.
  2. At air flow meter (AFM), wind CO bypass screw OUT max. 3 to 4 turns. Flip top off AFM and adjust spring tension for the flap as close as possible to 1.0v on load pin.
  3. Make necessary adjustments to maintain a smooth idle of 500 to 550 rpm in gear by dabbing on throttle to ensure engine will return to idle without attempting to stall. Final adjustment on airscrew will help (clockwise to richer). Appreciate the engine needs to be leaner than you think.
  4. Turn engine off, reconnect idle speed motor, and do not adjust throttle airscrew because NORMALLY the thing will idle in neutral at around 850-900rpm.
  5. To avoid the transmission bangs selecting reverse, FIRST select DRIVE with foot on brake, then select reverse - the thump will be reduced. When the transmission is repaired is the time to make pressure solenoid adjustments to reduce this ageing problem

Hmm good info there, only issue is I can't wind the throttle bypass screw in far enough to reduce the idle that much.

New problem too, fuel consumption is excessively high. As in, more than 20L/100km.

Well according to my workshop manual, high fuel consumption could be due to:

Fault in TFI

Vane Airflow Meter sticking

Vane Air Temp out of calibration

ECU defective

Air Flow sensor malfunction

Fuel Injectors defective

Fuel pressure too high - regulator faulty

Engine Coolant Temp defective

Throttle Position Sensor defective

Changed throttle bodies, idle is now slow.

Problem is its rough :/ engine seems to "search" at idle.

Misses under medium/heavy throttle, fine under light throttle/cruising.

Using heaps of fuel around the streets, fine once on highway.

Sounds like TPS is out, computer maybe thinks it's in acc pump mode all the time.

There's a bypass screw on the air meter, lets you adjust idle mixture much like an Impco gas mixer. That might be another option

Anytime I've heard anyone touch the bypass screws on the air meter they've never been able to get it to run properly again! I'd try another air meter before I touch that bypass chris!

I have anther TPS, may have to look at that.

Yeah I'm not overly keen on fiddling with the AFM, although someone's previously fiddled with the wagons, it doesn't have the "anti-tamper" plugs on it.

Throttle body wasn't sealing on plenum chamber properly. Causing air leaks.

Also probably had a bad spark on cyl 2, spark leads appear to be crap - even though they're Bosch.

Pulled a spark plug out, all burning as they should, although the gap was 1.6mm.

BUMP.

So, does anyone know if the ISC are unavailable, still? Anyone pulled one apart, and can show me the internals?

My ZL is idling a little high in neutral (900-1,000 rpm) but, fine in Drive. (500-600 rpm) Checked timing (with Spout disconnected), tweaked the base idle on the throttle body, with ISC disconnected. just seems to be a big range between N and D.

1985 Leaded, 250 EFI, 128,000k (all stock)

IMAG0302.jpg

If you drop the base idle does it drop too low in drive?

Yep.

does on mine.... Mines exactly the same....

600 rpm drive - 1000 neutral.....

Not too fussed to be honest as it idles great at the lights and doesnt stall....

Was worse when I got it.....

Yep.

Not heaps annoying, but it just isn't right, and thats what bugs me. Maybe I'm OCD or something. Or is it CDO? (in alphabetical order, the way it should be)

Shift into drive then reverse or it bangs like a dunny door in a gale, and chirps the wheels in my gravel driveway