dizzy616

4.0l dizzy recomendations

G'day all as some of you might know im getting into doing a carbied 4.0l
I was actually wondering if anyones heard of the trick where you get a xf dizzy and turn the cog around. to make it fit a 4.0l does anyone know of this or can confirm it please. it would make life a bit easier or recommend any good ideas of what to do?

I did the reverse and modded an EL dizzy to fit xflow, turned the cog around and drilled a new hole for the thru pin... didnt get any filings in the sump but.

The clamp down areas are different but and also the surface at which the dizzy fits into the block, so you would need to cut and shape the body of the dizzy to fit the 4.0L block, then mod some sort of clamp for it.

Easier to go get one from a wreck somewhere bloke, i had to do it to mine because they are a lower profile than the 250s to fit under my custom manifold, plus the TFI module sits on a better angle....... come to think of it your going to find the same issues as mine if you went that way.

Exactly my point. You can use late dissy in xflow block because it has clearance and it works. Xflow dissy won't go into a late motor without heaps of mods, not just flipping the gear.

ah k. i remember revheads graph on a 4.0 dizzy. in the straight gas 4.0l thread. i wonder what are the bare essential wires you need. i want to make it work on the xf wiring loom

No, Aaron ended up with a sump full of metal. I'm not sure what he did on his 2nd attempt.

I used a highly modded xflow electronic on mine because I was stupidly stubborn and wanted to use what I was familiar with, and didn't want to run the standard ohc dissy and computer.

ahh well, pretty sure he was Gunna(he reminded me of me, hoard stuff for project oneday..)

i wonder if you could fit an aftermarket points to elctronic kit to the E series Dizzy? my transit has a bosch moduel and chopper disc fitted to a points dizzy..
electronicdizzy_zps31edd30a.jpg

hmm i might run my ohc distributor down to the auto elec ask what his opinion could be and what might be able to be done.
can a streetfire cdi work instead of a computer for a ohc dizzy

hey i got a wild idea can you wire the ignition computer from the xf to a 4.0l distributer? they are the same firing order right?

you'd need the same computer setup? may as well fit the E series computer if doing that?

or you could buy the one Gaz suggested that is made to fit. probably cheaper than auto elec charges anyway?   

haha i got the manifold im to far into it to just back out and go efi now. and i want it to be plain and simple cant be fucked with a whole new load of potential electrical problems to happen down the road.
the thing is i hate computers
and im not a fan of efi i do respect it but its not my cup of tea. neither is petrol my cup of tea and gas efi is farken way to expensive for someone in my boots to do

I almost did a simaliar thing for the xd, was going to put a weber on a 3.9, i used a vaccum advance electronic dizzy off an xe, had the gear flipped an machined a portion off the bottom of the diz to allow it to be tuned for timing. had the 3.9 CFI manifold redrilled to suit the weber easy as. the reason i never put it together was it was going to be epic drama to engineer, as they never came out like that. cost $250 to reco the dizz and do the said mods

well i been looking into it see since the ute is a 1990 and the engine came out of 1989 i have to meet the adr's of the ute so i can put a carby on it. either way its straight gas anyway so no need to worry about much of the anti pollution adr's.
and vicroads stated engine swaps can be .1 of a litre under or .1 of a litre over as long as it bolts in no need for engineers certificate.

i been talking to some speedway people they reckon get the xe-xf distributor and get a 4.0 cog and put it on the xe-xf dizzy flipped upside down. mark out the hole then drill it then put the 4.0 cog on it upside down cant go wrong. one reckons his put one of those dizzy's on his mates road cars and its been running for 4 years no worry's

I almost did a simaliar thing for the xd, was going to put a weber on a 3.9, i used a vaccum advance electronic dizzy off an xe, had the gear flipped an machined a portion off the bottom of the diz to allow it to be tuned for timing. had the 3.9 CFI manifold redrilled to suit the weber easy as. the reason i never put it together was it was going to be epic drama to engineer, as they never came out like that. cost $250 to reco the dizz and do the said mods

I didn't have any trouble whatsoever to rego mine in Vic in 2005. I went armed with all the Vicroads rules and regulations in case there was going to be a shitfight, but all they did was check the engine number. The inspector had heaps of questions (like what engine mounts etc.) but he was quite happy to just do his job which was to basically id both the engine and chassis and sign it off. At the end of the day, it's just an engine swap. If you don't make a big deal out of the fact that it's a different engine, and make sure it looks like it belongs in there, then they're less likely to give a shit or cause any hassle. No engineering necessary.

bleh my utes allready registered im just getting all the ammo if so if someone ever wants to have a go at my conversion i can blow em away on the spot with it. no ones going to unroadworthy my ute because of it

I didn't have any trouble whatsoever to rego mine in Vic in 2005. I went armed with all the Vicroads rules and regulations in case there was going to be a shitfight, but all they did was check the engine number. The inspector had heaps of questions (like what engine mounts etc.) but he was quite happy to just do his job which was to basically id both the engine and chassis and sign it off. At the end of the day, it's just an engine swap. If you don't make a big deal out of the fact that it's a different engine, and make sure it looks like it belongs in there, then they're less likely to give a shit or cause any hassle. No engineering necessary.

They told me i had to hire a racetrack and a driver to drive my car @ 160kph for 3hrs,

judging by how my ZL went this morning il be doing this as soon as the ZH is done.

I think il get it up and running then worry about an engineers point of view.

yep mine will hardly go on lpg now. Lucky i prefer petrol. But my wallet sure doesnt.

My AU's tranny is starting to slip. I kinda hope it gets worse so i have a reason to pinch its motor and flog it.

hahaha how slow my ute was going the other day. having trouble keeping up on the cruise. its definately getting a heart transplant soon.

My XF has been beaten up hills by a prius, a toyota starlet life, an empty maxi cememt truck burned me off at traffic light races lol.. its still going though :D one day i might hope to race a 3.3 litre XF and i might have half a chance lol.

yep mine will hardly go on lpg now. Lucky i prefer petrol. But my wallet sure doesnt.

My AU's tranny is starting to slip. I kinda hope it gets worse so i have a reason to pinch its motor and flog it.

if you could check the trans fluid level without getting under the car you'd probably find its low on fluid, if its anything like my mates AU fairlane he had.. from slipping a bit to walking was measured in weeks not months.

i prefer gas i just want to keep going and get it right with gas,
lol i got flogged by a rav4 the other month it was just like damn this ute needs a upgrade

My XF has been beaten up hills by a prius, a toyota starlet life, an empty maxi cememt truck burned me off at traffic light races lol.. its still going though :D one day i might hope to race a 3.3 litre XF and i might have half a chance lol.

if you could check the trans fluid level without getting under the car you'd probably find its low on fluid, if its anything like my mates AU fairlane he had.. from slipping a bit to walking was measured in weeks not months.

exactly ''if'' sadly Ford didnt include a dipstick. Well im saying the AU has a month or two left. It needs tyres, exhaust, trans service and probably brakes soon to. Also has a fair bit of rust and the gas system is buggered.

So i now have a ''free'' 4L coming and yet already here.

So have we decided on a dizzy yet??

i got some speedway boys to do mine today. we used xe dizzy and a 4.0 dizzy took the gear off the xe dizzy. and then put the 4.0l gear on the xe one marked out the hole and drilled it. then stuck the 4.0 gear on not hard but gaz got me paranoid. so i ended up getting the speedway boys to show me how its done. they been running this in the 4.0l for ages run many races at hitting the 7,000rpm mark apparently. also stuck xe coil on it bolted right on. thing is with xe dizzy cap and aussie speed manifold you need to grind the tips off on the doodads(cant think of the name) that the spark leads connect to just enough to put the leads in a bit further so the cap and leads can fit underneath the manifold.

1 step closer to having a 4.0l thats just plug and play into a xf.