mcfly94

Phenolic manifold heat shield setup? EFI Rocker Cover Q's

Hey guys, the only reason I want to run one is clearance for the EFI rocker cover while maintaining stock intake. NO im not grinding my freshly polished rocker cover.

Lots of questions too, which I hope you can help me with.

1. Now do I need to run normal manifold gaskets either side of the 6mm spacer?
  2. And also do you guys run a sealant on your manifold gaskets, I don't.
  3. And is it possible to get manifold studs? 6mm longer than factory if possible.
  4. And can I run a cork gasket with light film of sealant on the efi rocker cover?
  5. Theres two holes in the top of the cover, one for PCV valve and the other apparently for the EFI throttle body, what do I with when used with carby, do I run it to the air cleaner like carby cover setup? if so how do I attach a hose to it?

Thanks in advance guys :)

12mm manifold spacer? if so where can I get one, not listed on aussiespeed website, or is it different brand?

Do you just use ARP kit?

Thanks sly!

Mine was a custom made unit by Jase Stoodley.Guy is still on his honeymoon so he won't be in a hurry to get back out in the shed anytime soon I'd imagine.Worked VERY well on the ute but as I'm going methanol I don't need one anymore for this engine but mine is not for sale either as I have enough spares to make a very bad ass spare x-flow.

Mine was a custom made unit by Jase Stoodley.Guy is still on his honeymoon so he won't be in a hurry to get back out in the shed anytime soon I'd imagine.Worked VERY well on the ute but as I'm going methanol I don't need one anymore for this engine but mine is not for sale either as I have enough spares to make a very bad ass spare x-flow.

Would it be beneficial to run the 12mm over 6mm? and does he charge much?

PM Jase is my suggestion but you get what you pay for.I was very happy with my price though.You don't have to use ARP,I only did cos I wanted em all the same,black.But standard carby studs will do IMO. 

PM Jase is my suggestion but you get what you pay for.I was very happy with my price though.You don't have to use ARP,I only did cos I wanted em all the same,black.But standard carby studs will do IMO. 

what his username?

I can answer number 4, on my ute (carby with EFI valve cover) and my wagon (EFI) I use just Greg silicone, no gasket at all.

I tried cork gasket with silicone, cork without silicone, EFI paper gasket with silicone and without, all resulted in oil leaks.

Tried it they way Ford built them (no gasket, just silicone), no leaks.

There's no reason a cork gasket should leak on a thick EFI cover.Thoughly clean both surfaces with a alcohol based cleaner, a very light smear of RTV sealant on both sides of the gasket then set on the head and place cover on top and do it up in sequence and dont go overboard.My Aussie speed unit never leaks with a cork gasket when done as above.

There's no reason a cork gasket should leak on a thick EFI cover.Thoughly clean both surfaces with a alcohol based cleaner, a very light smear of RTV sealant on both sides of the gasket then set on the head and place cover on top and do it up in sequence and dont go overboard.My Aussie speed unit never leaks with a cork gasket when done as above.

I did the same method on my normal steel cover and worked perfect, just wanted if it work for the EFI cover

Quick question for the guys that run spacers, do you get any issues with the manifold hitting the dizzy cap? Might be an iron head only problem, but i know theres not a lot of room between the manifold and dizzy cap which always made putting them on a bit difficult. Cheers

Hey guys, the only reason I want to run one is clearance for the EFI rocker cover while maintaining stock intake. NO im not grinding my freshly polished rocker cover.

Lots of questions too, which I hope you can help me with.

• Now do I need to run normal manifold gaskets either side of the 6mm spacer?
  • And also do you guys run a sealant on your manifold gaskets, I don't.
  • And is it possible to get manifold studs? 6mm longer than factory if possible.
  • And can I run a cork gasket with light film of sealant on the efi rocker cover?
  • Theres two holes in the top of the cover, one for PCV valve and the other apparently for the EFI throttle body, what do I with when used with carby, do I run it to the air cleaner like carby cover setup? if so how do I attach a hose to it?
Thanks in advance guys :)

1. Yes.

2. 90% of the time i use a sealant or a dressing to suit the application.

3. Dunno, i usually just get 8.8grade black bolts of the req length and lop the heads off them with an angel grinder. use 2 nuts locked together to turn them in. All my non critical studs are made this way. cheaper, Imma fishass.

4. i don't. cork gaskets eat dick. That said, i have a small leak from the back. The bolts work loose. Studs and an appropriate locking method for the nuts would probably fix this and stop the seal being broken. But then again, i did make my rocker cover spacer myself with a jigsaw. LAWL =D

5. Two options:

a.) Run one to a catch can then to the plenum. Ie, between the throttle butterfly and the head so it causes a low pressure in the engine/sump. this will give your sump vacuum and reduce oil leaks. Run the other line to the air cleaner. make sure it is getting FILTERED air or you will suck dust into your engine and intake.

b.) Block one off. the other, run to a catch can and then vent to atmosphere. Make sure the catch circuit it is as free flowing as possible and includes a diffuser or you will 1 spatter oil all over the engine bay. and 2, the engine will get a positive crankcase pressure and cause oil leaks from every conceivable seal that isn't perfect.

As for the manifold spacer. Make one out of marine ply, sand and lacquer it. Make sure the one you use is fuel and oil resistant. use the money you save to buy a jigsaw and a scotch carton. Post pics.

Quick question for the guys that run spacers, do you get any issues with the manifold hitting the dizzy cap? Might be an iron head only problem, but i know theres not a lot of room between the manifold and dizzy cap which always made putting them on a bit difficult. Cheers

They don't hit but there close,to get mine off with the manifold on I remove leads for 2 and 6 plus the coil lead and pop the cap off then you can remove the rotor button and then the dizzy as a unit.Easy as shit...

a.) Run one to a catch can then to the plenum. Ie, between the throttle butterfly and the head so it causes a low pressure in the engine/sump. this will give your sump vacuum and reduce oil leaks. Run the other line to the air cleaner. make sure it is getting FILTERED air or you will suck dust into your engine and intake.

b.) Block one off. the other, run to a catch can and then vent to atmosphere. Make sure the catch circuit it is as free flowing as possible and includes a diffuser or you will 1 spatter oil all over the engine bay. and 2, the engine will get a positive crankcase pressure and cause oil leaks from every conceivable seal that isn't perfect.

As for the manifold spacer. Make one out of marine ply, sand and lacquer it. Make sure the one you use is fuel and oil resistant. use the money you save to buy a jigsaw and a scotch carton. Post pics.

With this, Id rather run a catch can setup, pcv valve from original back spot to catch can. When you say between throttle butterfly and head, can I just use the spot on the factory carby manifold? I want to run my PCV to this spot after it passes through the catch can.

With the other line can I go directly to air cleaner from the rocker cover? what do you mean filtered, what filters it?

But with the smaller tube, how do I even get a hose on it? its a smooth tube?

yes, there should be a place to connect it from factory.

the factory air cleaner filters it.

You talking about the rocker cover? Just push it on and use a normal hose clamp. It doesn't deal with any extreme pressures.

Daves are proflow McFly and he got them from me at Enzed.  But any speed shop that sells those type of fittings, like speed flow or earls or aeroflow will be able to hook you up.  They're dash 12 fittings and hose.