Sardaara

1st!! Seeking advice and ideas on a car audio instal xf

Amen to that. Twice i had my systems installed by professionals.

1st time they dropped my head unit and had patched the PCB inside and taped the top cover back on plus the crimp lugged and taped all the connections. All which failed within 4 weeks of the install.

2nd time they smacked my rim on my 3 day old WRX on a gutter, and took 3 months to replace it, and failed to tune the system correctly including leaving the 12watt factory speakers connected which caused massive distortion on anything over 1/8 volume.

Your better off doing your own install if you can and do it right.

agreeed! at least if something goes wrong you know how to fix it aswell!

If you build the enclosures well and provide sufficient power they will have good production down to 50hz. my falcon is full alpine type r from their 2005 catalog with type x subs except the mrd4.100 amp and the back splits (i damaged my original mid woofers) and when i go 'shopping' and pull the subs out the surrounds still produce well. this is aided a lot by the install. If you want low freq you need to box your mid woofers just like you do subs, to get the bass.

the s-series from what i have heard are not worth your time/money. (though i haven't hears a set of s-series in over 4 years)

And about the headunits, Thats poo! I wouldn't buy them if that's the case, go for another brand. im ok with them doing away with the cd player and the internal FET's. IE: headunit do all the sound processing and sends to the amp.

2005 series head units had all the features crammed in a single din WITH 55watt power fets and a cd player. NO excuse to forcing the use of external processors...

Its 2013 ffs.

Build quality has dropped across their range bar x-series since then too.

If you build the enclosures well and provide sufficient power they will have good production down to 50hz. my falcon is full alpine type r from their 2005 catalog with type x subs except the mrd4.100 amp and the back splits (i damaged my original mid woofers) and when i go 'shopping' and pull the subs out the surrounds still produce well. this is aided a lot by the install. If you want low freq you need to box your mid woofers just like you do subs, to get the bass.

the s-series from what i have heard are not worth your time/money. (though i haven't hears a set of s-series in over 4 years)

And about the headunits, Thats poo! I wouldn't buy them if that's the case, go for another brand. im ok with them doing away with the cd player and the internal FET's. IE: headunit do all the sound processing and sends to the amp.

2005 series head units had all the features crammed in a single din WITH 55watt power fets and a cd player. NO excuse to forcing the use of external processors...

Its 2013 ffs.

Build quality has dropped across their range bar x-series since then too.

boxing mid woofers can be difficult in the front x-series doors, i reckon a good alternative would be lining the door with dynmat.

yeah thats why i went rockford fosgate and infnity speakers.

agree front doors are hard.

Best and eazy is to mont the speaks on the door good and solid, and dynamat about 1/4 a sqmeter of the doorskin directly opposite the woofer. then seal over the big holes in the door with dynamat or equivalent.

I stay away from 1005 mat covers as they weigh a ton and is a waste of money IMO. You dont need to cover 100% it will still absorb the wasted waves just fine if you only do a 20% cover..

IMO

Yeah, head RF were good and do rate infinity.

For a cheap build good try jaycars response carbon fiber series. Just kitted the 4x4 out with that gear and it goes really well! (kenwood headunit)

well that was a good read! ill throw up what the guys doing in the install.. hes a good installer my dads been to him over a dozen times... hes got great after sales service, even if you do it yourself he helps out with advice, tell you what to be carefull of and how to get a clean fit.

Cool as, Ive learnt by doing, and having mates help along the way. The biggest job I have done to date is on my white panno-New speakers, (6x9's and 5n3/4 rounds with splits), 4 channel amp, and 4 inch rounds up front. Had to pull head unit out, run power wires, remote wire, and completly recable the back for speakers, cross overs etc. If you know someone thats good-that always helps.

Im halfway through a sizable stereo build in my ZK at the moment Raj... At the moment it is running a not terribly flash Sony Xplod head unit, 4" Hertz Dieci speakers in the front standard housings, 4-way 490w JVC 6x9s under the parcel shelf hidden under nondescript looking old 6" grilles and hooked up to a 400w 3 channel JVC Drvn amp. Its a beautifully clean and crisp sound in the cabin. Ive run a few different combos of single amp and sub, firstly a JVC G1200 250rms single coil on the 400w amp, then on a 600ish watt Alpine Vpower which eventually toasted the coil in the sub. I replaced that with the GD1200 which is basically the same sub but with dual coils and butyl surround, which was much cleaner and deeper. I then ran that off 1100w from an Xpower and it was great but then the cone came unstuck. The replacement did the same so i downgraded to a Sony 350 watter single coil job for the sake of reliability... Didnt mind cos that sub was only temporary til i got my nice ones. Gotta say tho i was shocked at how good that sony one sounded... Doesnt make huge pounding bass that shatters windows but it is still a strong, clean, well controlled note when tuned right... Far nicer to listen to than the JVC if not quite as powerful. Anyway, thats now been shafted out into my EF and i have a pair of JVC Arsenal AR7220 dual 2 ohm coil, dual magnet dual spider 12"s in there in a slot ported box facing upwards (only way the box will fit lol... Custom time). At this stage im looking at running em off two Boss audio amps. But yeh tey are an awsome sub... Built well, nicely designed and tough as nails, and the sound is great... Ive got em tuned uber down to run em in and you can feel em through the seat still, but the sound is clean :) ive got two pairs of Arsenal AR650 6.5" splits goin in the doors too in pods... Theyre a fkn gorgeous sounding speaker. Theyre gonna be running off a seperate 800w Drvn amp when i install em, and i also ha an epiphony the other night when pulling apart an Apple eMac. The speakers out of em are the perfect size to mount in a pillar cover, and they are small enough that plugged into the head unit they sound meaty and clear, so there is my unused headunit channel put to use :D

Probably wouldnt recommend iMac speakers for use in a car brother... The fiberous surrounds they use in the Harmann Kardon ones in the first generation of imacs break down over time... Ive replaced about 6 of em in my snow imac... the surrounds just disintegrate or split and then the speaker self destructs. Its actually become a favourite pastime of mine on those lonely nights as a single man, to crank them up to full noise and obliterate them with Frankie Goes To Hollywood's

Relax then finish em off with a full rendition of the Last Post til the motor unit is just bashing around uselessly in the speaker encosure or a coil lead gives out. Even had one start to burn :D

eMac ones are awsome tho... Clear, crisp and they have a rubber surround and a bigger diameter anyway. :)

earlier in the post the aftermarket facias where mentioned. i used one of these because they do bring a cleaner look but i didnt like the way it left the headunit sticking out, leaving the cage visible. i also had problems with the rca and Ariel leads stopping the headunit from sliding further back. so dad and i came up with some dodgy diy ideas and attempted to fix the problem. first we cut section out of the bracket behind the unit, (NOT a fun job while its still in the car!) so that the leads could go further back, then we actually used to pieces of thin wood to bring the facia further out to reveal less cage. not the classiest job but its working for now :) 

IMG_9967_zpsa1873ff2.jpg

I believe that JVC head units are way under rated for their price. I don't care who argues this point, I've got mine setup and it does an awesome job, it has woofer control so it is adjustable which a lot of others don't have and to have it professionally installed with a remote only cost me $450 about 7 years ago and is still going strong. I have got blaupunkt speakers front and rear running off a 4 channel blaupunkt amp and a single 12 inch old zr type alpine sub in a sealed box running off a 2 channel alpine amp. Sounds great :)

I have heard JVC are great value for the price you pay.

I have a Sony head unit with 3 pre outs, which is important if you want quality and proper control of your audio. I managed to fit 4x6 rockford fosgates under the dash, although there was some grinding and bashing that had to be done to get those in. Rockfords behind the back seats, and Rockford 4 channel amp to run those. JL sub and amp, which were pricey, but sounded absolutely AMAZING. 

Sounded in past tense, as my sub and amps got stolen from my car boot, soo try and squeeze your amps under your seats if you can.. If you have a sub, 4x6 speakers under the dash is enough, but since I have to half start again... i will be putting splits into the doors and adding sound deadening to up audio quality, as well has bogging over the boot lock, (they punched it in, to get into my car ) and getting an alarm, lol.

earlier in the post the aftermarket facias where mentioned. i used one of these because they do bring a cleaner look but i didnt like the way it left the headunit sticking out, leaving the cage visible. i also had problems with the rca and Ariel leads stopping the headunit from sliding further back. so dad and i came up with some dodgy diy ideas and attempted to fix the problem. first we cut section out of the bracket behind the unit, (NOT a fun job while its still in the car!) so that the leads could go further back, then we actually used to pieces of thin wood to bring the facia further out to reveal less cage. not the classiest job but its working for now :)

IMG_9967_zpsa1873ff2.jpg

That looks mint dude

That looks mint dude

im glad you like it :) im going to change it soon though. im going to get some sheetmetal and make my own facia will be be a lot neater than this one, as this one actually leaves a gap on the right side and hangs down to far. i also want to make a new faceplate to go over where the ash tray used to be, and ill be moving the ciggy lighter, and im going to change the heater/ ac control surround as well. and ill either paint it body colour since i did my interior handles in envy or a metalic black

In my xh I replaced the ashtray with one of those standard din trays (didn't take too much effort to fit) and I put the cigarette lighter in the console (commodore style I feel dirty for typing that)

In my xh I replaced the ashtray with one of those standard din trays (didn't take too much effort to fit) and I put the cigarette lighter in the console (commodore style I feel dirty for typing that)

putting it in the console actually isn't a bad idea, too bad i don't have one haha