GspecZL

Straight gas 4L conversion.

according to a good source the AU motor can fit with sump mods. If you down space the sway bar.

If so im going au motor. Ive been driving my AU all day and its just such a rocket compared to the ZL.

yeh they like to throw pushrods to the crossies

plus like mine did diz ,it chucked a conrod onto the road ,lol among other bits of bits ,

sump on AU bolts to main bearing caps ,early sump fits up to under side of block only.

is it true that you can do E series lower XF upper mounts rather than XG anyway?

correct 

yes just use xg to chassis mounts and xf rubber to block mounts

will the steel sump fit from a old 4.0l onto a au motor?

and will the xg mounts fit to the au motor?

Timing cover and rear man cap need to be changed to late El as Au and El hybrid have a larger main journal

when the AU came out ,i was moved from tools to spares ,and never really paid much attention to the AU series ,sold a shit load of right front door locking mechs and bloody electric window regs lol and window switches

I'd go opposite direction, especially running straight gas put simply Au head/ e series short = lower comp than standard, Au short e series head bumps compression up which is beneficial for lpg, Au series 1 2 & 3 (excluding tickford and gas engines) there were two main differences, series one the casting is slightly different to 2&3 and on series one a Ef or El alternator will fit ( if planning to fit a steel sump to an Au engine I would use series 1 as you have to use an Au/BA alternator on the later engines as two pick up points for the alternator are on the sump ) and au's didn't get the multi layered steel head gasket and stronger bolts until series 2 (if ever doing a head gasket on any 4.0l use an Au gasket and bolts best fix out of any, one of the ones I did in a Ef a few years ago has lasted over 25000ks)

Correct on the dates revhead, the easiest way to spot one is the timing cover & head will have wr2axx instead of 94/95 da (or dt if xr6) cast into them, wr2 is the prefix for Au parts as far as im aware. Any 4.0l dizzy will drop straight into an Au as well

No shitty guides or tensioner for the chain to flap against. Unless you over rev the 250 past 4,500rpm it's as reliable as a boat anchor.

pffft.... seriously what planet are you on? Is that your worst complaint about a 4L? Non stop revving my 4L to 6k with 30 psi and 30,000 km and never had an issue that you speak of. Countless other 4L motors too.

Crossies? Lmao, hold them at revs anything close to 4k for more than 30 seconds and the lifter noise is unbearable not to mention endless bent push rods, snapped rocker gear, thrown rods through blocks and sumps, blowing gaskets, stretching heads (aren't they made of paper?). Core shift, melting rings and pistons. yada yada. They're just not a pleasant or happy motor in comparison. Sure, people love them and stubbornly refuse to change but call a spade a spade, they're a piece of shit with a very low ceiling in comparison to the 4L

my mate ran a aussie speed manifold and a 600 cfm carby , with a modified xf electronic dizy , will all be very easy to get going from memory aussie speed sell a dizy aswell . the car went like hell , the motors in a fuel injected fairlane now and it doesn't feel like its has a much torque and dyno sheet is only like 10 more hp on efi .  

Define stronger?

No shitty guides or tensioner for the chain to flap against. Unless you over rev the 250 past 4,500rpm it's as reliable as a boat anchor.

The 4.0 I used to have in my Ute copped daily abuse all the way to the 7700rpm limiter over 2 years and nearly 110,000kms, so I don't see where you get unreliability from

Yeah thats a funny one isn't it...LOL A OHC is a MILLION better than a xflow stocko NAT ASP. For a worked NAT ASP engine though a OHC can't come close to a xflow.They can't take a big enough spring to use enough camshaft to make use of the head.Even billit rocker's just break under stress due to the design.My head porter has found the limit on the NAT ASP units in speedway and some guys are going back to xflows. 

pffft.... seriously what planet are you on? Is that your worst complaint about a 4L? Non stop revving my 4L to 6k with 30 psi and 30,000 km and never had an issue that you speak of. Countless other 4L motors too.

Crossies? Lmao, hold them at revs anything close to 4k for more than 30 seconds and the lifter noise is unbearable not to mention endless bent push rods, snapped rocker gear, thrown rods through blocks and sumps, blowing gaskets, stretching heads (aren't they made of paper?). Core shift, melting rings and pistons. yada yada. They're just not a pleasant or happy motor in comparison. Sure, people love them and stubbornly refuse to change but call a spade a spade, they're a piece of shit with a very low ceiling in comparison to the 4L

This is coming from the guy who had the rattliest 4L in the land :P ....There's video proof

If used within their production limitations the crossflow without doubt would be the more reliable....period. 

but its not being used within its production limitations? in stock form a crossy is much more robust, but, they are slugs and gutless. plenty of torque but no hp and no where near as economical.

as for showing lip towards Wes' old 4L you really are an idiot, that is a 9sec car, and it's not that rattly? ever heard an XR6T with uprated valve springs? pretty much exactly the same. as for breaking tensioners, i broke one at 7000rpm and drove around for 3 months before i could be assed spending a few hours fixing it? and it was abused the whole time and afterwards?

a 4l is a much more mechanically efficient motor than a crossy, it's what they are designed to be, if you argue that, i give up.

AU sump will fit with mods i think you just need to cut the sump up a bit, Wes would know? or did you use a custom sump on yours Wes?

Go the au motor, its a much smarter choice, and with the metal shim style headgasket they rarely blow unless they get cooked.