udidca302

Fire wall plenum rust repair xd

I saw on here ages ago in part of someone's build up a section on repairing rust in the fire wall. I have searched for it and am unable to find the thread. Has anyone done this with photos or better yet know of the thread I am looking for?

IMAG0518_zpspm7cjori.jpgIMAG0491_zps3xt5hrge.jpg

I did plenum repairs to my xe. Thought I had a little repair on lhs only . Once that was repaired discovered it was worse on the RHS.

To repar Rhs I removed halp the top. If I was doing another car any small rust in this area I would remove the the whole top, big job but peace of mind.

Dale

When you drill out the welds, take it slow and easy, only go through the layer you are removing and keep the drill speed down. You want it to spin fast enough to see it cut the chips of steel away but slow enough that it doesn't overheat the bit. Will last longer as they are a pain to sharpen without the right grinding tool.

When you clean it up to go back in, spray the overlapping edges with either zinc primer or epoxy. Line up the panel, then clean the spot where you need to weld for good conductivity. I usually weld with the wire feed a little lower than normal to get a slightly hotter weld with a bit less build up to clean.

Udidca302

As bear and 2redovers said,

I cut out and replaced wher I could, carefully welded up the pin holes this is a very complex area a lot of valleys and different shapes. I I ground and sanded back, coated in POR15 but could also use KBS and welded back together. I swear by Por15 and KBS rust paints and after using bit here used it on the rest of reapirs, in cabin and boot. If you have a look at the second photo you can see the shiney round circles. They are were the spot welds were. Very time consuming job and and if a decent car wasn't so hard to find this car would have been binned. Would I do it again. Yes! In fact if I was putting any money into another I would pull the top off coat it and it will last for ever

Dale