Mustardxf

Valve lash setting

basically goes engine builder didn't give me the cam card. 
engine builder misplaced cam card

gave me a cam card that he thinks is mine

Problem: Cam card says its a HYD cam

~Engine builder said we were using a solid cam

~The motor definitely has solid lifters

Now is there a way I can Set the valve lash without a specified lash setting?

or should I go back to the builder and hassle him until I get the right card?

I remember the original cam card said .577'' lift and it was solid so shouldn't be to hard to find.

Reason being is my motor sounds a little tickity and It would be good to have them set right.

I reckon the best route would be to check them hot (and I mean really warmed up) and go from there. Ballpark figure would be 0.008" inlet and 0.012" exhaust. I don't know how an alloy head would change from hot to cold, maybe the lash gets bigger instead of smaller due to expansion in the alloy? Are you running lash caps?

There is a bit of extra noise in the top end with a solid.  I set mine at .008&.012" cold on my solid crossflow engines that see a few revs.  Tighe recommend .020/.022 hot.  I'd go through and check them and if you find one that is way bigger than the others on the current lash it could be pointing towards an issue.  Hard to say but I would take note of the loose one and re-set and then check again after a bit more time. 

Just make sure that your rockers aren't hitting the rocker cover and causing the noise.  You should see some witness marks if they have been

0.020" is very loose, that's half a millimetre! Maybe they want you to set it at that to allow for valve/seat bedding in and recession.

Rule-of-thumb says you lose half a degree in timing for every thou of lash you dial in.

Very hard to tell from the video as only the last couple of seconds is near the engine. To me it sounds okay. I'd be checking for an extractor leak. If the lash is set properly then really there can't be an issue.

My solid roller is set @ 22 and 24th hot and the valve train is noisey for sure,but it's not a taxi engine it's a hot engine and there meant to be heard.

Here's mine on jack stands @ idle in gear and you can hear the valve train easily,but you don't hear that when you rev it :)

Alright after hearing yours sly I don't think I have much to worry about, I always knew that a solid engine is louder but after a couple of people have mentioned how Loud it is even after I've said its and solid combo had me wondering!

Here is another video Ando, that was after a cold start. https://vimeo.com/149700228

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

after a couple of people have mentioned how Loud it is even after I've said its and solid combo had me wondering!

And what did they expect a stock taxi engine ??? Mine is a solid roller and it's noisey like a flat tappet but it's just how shit is. Been a 4 barrel car they idle alot choppier which amplifies the valve train noise too...Yous sounds stout IMO. I'd be happy with that.

Same engine but with a 750DP...no where near as smooth or civilized.

Just go enjoy it bro.You will know if anything is wrong.