Menice

Fitting Extractors

So I'm wondering if there's enough room to fit a set of extractors (maybe 4-1) while the motor "clevo" is fitted, car is xe with no power steering and i'm guessing i wont be able to fit starter till they're in... I've attempted to fit a set in an xf with powersteering, and i was able to get the passenger side in ok but had to lift motor to get drivers side in, in saying that i'm pretty sure i scratched the shit out of the engine bay and i'm trying to do it without making a mark as the paint is mint

I fitted 4 into 1's on my XD, with power steering.

I had to jack the motor of the mounts & also had the front on stands reasonably high.

There was more grunting, sweating & swearing than a prison shower block.

was hoping i might be able to throw it on a hoist and jimmy it up through the bottom

I'm scared of scratching the paint the most lol so i think lots of blankets/rags might be in order when i'm ready to attempt this

I would consider pulling the steering box out of the way. Being a manual box will most definatly make it easier. A set of try Y's will slip straight in without a problem.

I don't think I had any problems fitting the drivers side extractor on my clevo which has 4 into 1 genies, only issue was I had to jack the front end up pretty high for clearance so I could manoeuvre the extractor into place & so the flange at the end wouldn't scrape on the ground.

When I did my engine swap. I had the power steer box in, sat the driver side extractor in the bay and lowered the motor in. I would have never got it in there with motor in position. Bolting the pipes up was the worst part of the the swap. You have to try to center your mind into a meditation like state and contort you self into yoga type positions. But when it starts up its all worth it.

Mine were second-handies and the head flange was warped. I had to cut the bridge between the ports and bend it straight again, with a bit of grinding on the face to true it up.

Get a set of arp extractor studs.

That way you can slip the gasket on & slide the extractor in & over the studs & chuck the nuts on.

That's my setup & I wouldn't go back to bolts again!

Preferably on a hoist, jack the motor off the mounts as far as you possibly can without hurting anything. ( your mate probably would have a wind up stand or at worst a transmission jack ).

Feed the extractor in from under the car, you will need to get the starter motor out of the way.