Sign in to follow this  
scottly

Air tool oiling when working on primer bare metal?

Hey guys, this is one for the panel beaters and spray painters. I have just bought a air speed file and I am wondering when I oil it and use it will spit oil out on my panel I'm working into shape is there a particular oil to use? It is un-used at the moment I'm waiting to get the right size paper but I'm keen to give it a test run.

Yeah I have one of them works well the sanding dust also sticks to the oil on the exhaust and sokes some up,

just oil a little at a time if you try and give it a glug of oil it will squirt it out the exhaust. Just uses air tool oil.

Best way is to get a inline oiler just fill it up set the rate.

A thicker oil like Viscotene or chain lube might hang in there before being blown through. Vegetable oil might dissolve better when you prepsol it later. Any lube is better than none, and I've never seen an air tool damaged from the "wrong" lube being used.

Proper air tool oil is the go and only a drop any more gets blown out the exhaust. I've had cheap shit air tools last for years being pretty slack with keeping them oiled. So my way of thinking is they can't need to much at all.

as blue xe says, the smallest amount is all that is need. It shouldnt even really come out the exhaust if you use the right amount.

But saying that we flog the crap outta alot of panel based air tools and they maybe get oiled once a year :S

Thanks for the replys fellas, it didn't make sense to me oiling a tool to use on panel work when primer,paint and filler is down on the panel considering your not ment to touch it with clean bare hands. from now on I might do one drop of oil run the air tool for 1 minuet full song away from the panels im working I might even hold a price of paper near the exhaust and see how much oil comes out. I'm surprised there isnt oil catching filters or a better system