Sign in to follow this  
RAWDEAL

New cam. Not sure if i should get the head ported or not?

20151005_200403.jpg

I have bought this cam

I am not sure if i should get the head ported or not , i want to get its full potential

I have plans for it to go onto a Reco Xb xr6 head, and then into my Manual ed xr6, already has headers, exhaust, 3.45 gears

Want it to go fast or just be another OHC engine with a stick in it ?

i don't want another '130rwkw after a cam and tune' lol

which i see a bit of really 

That cam's pretty mild really, not that OHC motors need much cam to wake them up. Do you have someone who knows their way around those heads? I don't think they're a straightforward port job.

For my engine Cam (guy Sly mentioned) concentrated on low lift figures and kept the speed right up, this kept the cost right down. If you look at my flow figures for my head (first page of my roller cam thread) the low lift figures are quite high but the flow slows after 550 of lift. Perfect for a street engine.

Well TBH not many would prob be overly impressed with my flow figures but as the head was designed for a specific purpose it flows in a certain manner to suit my needs. While the car is far from tuned to it's potential it is running all but 116mph in 400mtrs from a cyl head that is far from over the top but made to work what it is in.

Point being it can be ported and seats cut and shit to suit and it will make a BIG difference. We are prob looking @ 40hp in my car,so tell me thats not worth going for?   

not in a 4litre rob there a to new to have power

althow dan went 12.6 a few weeks ago stock engine and i mean stock wrecker engine but a lot of bottle :D

cough boost it,,,, cough boost it

Cam @ Engine Engineering is the man for the job. 

From googling it, is it a place in QLD? 

id rather somewhere in vic if i CAN.. that way i could visit and have a chat ect ect.. usually makes things easier

And im hopeless at organizing postage

Fastest NA 4litre in aus lives and built in Victoria 12s and a big fat falcon and manual to boot 

I gave up trying to make a 4litre fast unless there boosted you will not even get one into the 13s unless its on NOS boosted or some how force fed, good engine NA cause you cant put much cam in them, and boosted they blow up unless there built engines either way you have to spend money, its just sad :(

Yeah they are a funny engine in that you can't bang a great deal of lift into them due to the rocker problem.  They break.  Having said that I have not yet seen a engine that does not respond to a good seat cut, bowl job and cross sectional area optimisation. 

Heads make the power

Cam tells it where to make power

Bottom end supports the rest

Greatest airspeed gains are made at the seat

These are all well known, time honoured facts - no secrets there. 

From your first post, it sounds like you are planning on getting the head serviced anyway.  Why would you not get a decent seat cut instead, considering the cost difference is minimal. 

The choice is yours but you have asked for advice.  The choice is yours. 

Well it is a barra now Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Still a 4ltr nat asp engine and runs mid 11s

Yeah haha was chatting to him at one of the street series rounds about month ago at willowbank, definitely a neat little setup.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

From googling it, is it a place in QLD? 

id rather somewhere in vic if i CAN.. that way i could visit and have a chat ect ect.. usually makes things easier

And im hopeless at organizing postage

If organised through people here Cam@ Engine Engineering is more than happy to give you a call and chat about what you are after. It's not a 3 hour chat about your life and what your retirement plans are, Cam knows his shit and knows what to ask you so he can give you what you need.

If you worried about post I live within a hour of Engine Engineering and am more than happy to drop off stuff for ozfalcon members, I have stated this before and the offer still applies that's how much faith I have in Cam's abilities. I get nothing out of it other than I'm helping a fellow forum member, I know that your not getting ripped off and your getting the best job possible. I also have an E-go courier depot near my work which makes shipping very cheap, for example I sent a crossflow cylinder head from the depot near my work over to Perth for $20. That was depot to depot which is by far the cheapest option but there are other options available. Happy to help where I can and I know you will not be disappointed with Cam's work. Plus Engine Engineering has very competitive prices when it comes to all it's machine work so with the post through E-go you will probably come out even or in front if you compared the overall price(porting and reco head) with someone local to you that is of a comparable quality (although you will struggle to find someone as good as Cam for any money let alone a decent price)

Yeah they are a funny engine in that you can't bang a great deal of lift into them due to the rocker problem.  They break.  Having said that I have not yet seen a engine that does not respond to a good seat cut, bowl job and cross sectional area optimisation. 

Heads make the power

Cam tells it where to make power

Bottom end supports the rest

Greatest airspeed gains are made at the seat

These are all well known, time honoured facts - no secrets there. 

From your first post, it sounds like you are planning on getting the head serviced anyway.  Why would you not get a decent seat cut instead, considering the cost difference is minimal. 

The choice is yours but you have asked for advice.  The choice is yours. 

im pretty sure a reco with a good seat profile and a bit of a port on the short turn radius really wakes these heads up?

it would be good if i could speak to someone whos done it all before and stuff, someone who can port it ect i can copy one of their other customers setups or something haha

slydog im not fussed if i had to get a head from qld but it would make things more annoying lol

200rwkw would be grouse

Talk to kendall mate, he'll give you decent advice for what ever end goals you have

Ive added him on facebook (todays version of the business section in the local paper lol) 

Asked him a few questions.

Ill be 100% getting a tune with the EL ecu for starters. just to get a bit more econ while i am dailying it

200killer wasps is a fair ask my engine was a fuill built engine and tuned by the best boys in VIC and it did under 170killer wasps hell it only did 238 boosted

But the end of the day budget will tell you how much power you will make id bang the cam in and drive it. funny this thread made me pull my blackXR out and wash it good looking car ford got these cars right :)

did you get a PM off me RAW? I have a built 4litre in the shed its a mock street fighter engine all that's been talked about in here it has PM if you might want it I don't think ill use it again NA has nothing on boosted so I no longer need it