Sign in to follow this  
bear351c

Best way to strip chrome wheels.???

Bought some 12 slotters from Dan, a while ago. (slo247) and I would like to get the chrome stripped off so i can paint them silver. Gonna slap them on the XA with chrome dress rings and GT centres.

Anyone know the best way to remove the chrome??  Acid dip, sand blast, paintstripper./??

12%20slot%20painted.png

Cheers, Bear.

sand blasting is the most efficient way and will guarantee adhesion.  I saw a bloke use hydrochloric acid but it was not as effective as the blaster.  Blast and prime and then a good primer surfacer.  rub that back and argent silver metallic and your done.

I had 4 wheels soda blasted bear, they had had many coats of paint on them from previous owner's

and these wheels came up bloody fantastic after doing so.

All i did then was blast the dust out with an air gun and painted them in a 2 pack silver

and to this day, still look the goods.

with soda blasting don't they recommend you pour milk into the cavities to neutralise the soda?  Had a mate soda blast his capri drag car and the stuff got under the braided hose and ended up eating it away.  That's when I found out about neutralising the soda. 

sounds like a good way of doing them but.

As an electroplater by trade, I say.

Listen to Hendrixhc.

Taking them to a electroplater is the only way to remove the chrome, sand blasting will not work, and soda blasting won't even touch the chrome.