Ando81

Stripped sump plug

Hi all, just wondering if anyone can help me with a stripped sump plug on my xf ute. I changed the oil today and the plug was tight all the way when I was removing it and when I went to put it back in, it didn't tighten. I pulled it back out again to find the threads had pulled off the sump plug bolt. I ran a die but over it and a 12mmx 1.25mm fitted nicely and cleaned up the thread but there is a narrow part half way along the sump plug. Can anyone confirm if this is the correct size if I order a new one, being a 91 model crossflow I have heard that they are smaller thread than the older crossflows that had 1/2" fine threaded bolts.

Aaaaargh, I tried to plug my sump with a 12mm x 1.25 bolt modified to suit my sump but it didn't want to screw in. Might be 12mm x 1.5 thread. I might have to drop my oil into a clean container and put a thread measuring tool into the hole to determine proper thread pitch.

I should have been better organised and had a clean container to catch the oil so I could take my time and inspect the thread properly. Being pushed for time and I tried to block the hole with 1 hand and then quickly screw the bolt into it with the other hand. After it finally started to screw in, it just got excessively tight so I assumed that the thread was the wrong pitch.