broken-wheel

XE climate controls

So i managed to get the heater working int his thing, behind the glovebox the white vacuum switch was seized, i used a little wd-40 and got it unstuck, now I have heat.

Everything works ok but no joy in sending any air to the windscreen, although if all else fails it should revert to sending air there nothing worked, even removing the vacuum line din't switch the air to the windscreen. I started pinching the lines (there are about 8-9) and the black/yellow is the windscreen one, i can hear it hissing louder then stops, the other settings have a different hiss to them so something must be wrong at the controls, removed stereo and traced the vacuum line and I can feel it's plugged in but no joy.

How do you take the climate control out of the car? where it screws onto the centre console facia, the right hand side screw is hitting the facia when you pull it out, do you have to remove the dash to get to it?

thanks mate, I needed that

any idea how you take the switch with the levers in it off? is it a dash out job?

If I remember correctly, you might need to take the vents out from above (just flip the vent and there's a screw on each).

Remove the radio: Remove knobs, remove the retaining nuts and fascia plate, undo 2 screws at top left and right holding the bracket, pull out and unplug the radio.

Remove the climate control:  Remove climate control knobs, remove all securing nuts, remove facia, remove nuts securing the switches to the metal plate, then it should all come apart for easy inspection.  Don't mix up the switches and vacuum lines..! :P

PS.  Have fun putting the fascia nuts back on... grrrrrrr...! ;)

i used a long nose pliers and then a deep socket :) 

I've see the fucking screws when you push the vents back....looks like i'll try and fix it this weekend. Hopefully it's just a split hose or something 

See my link above.

I did however I can't work out which plug is which on the actual switch. There are 3 vacuum ports.

I did however I can't work out which plug is which on the actual switch. There are 3 vacuum ports.

Are the vacuum ports on the switch marked "V" "M" and "A"..?

If so, then they correspond to the V M A marks on the switch in the diagram.

Are the vacuum ports on the switch marked "V" "M" and "A"..?

If so, then they correspond to the V M A marks on the switch in the diagram.

Can't see what you mean by the V M A on the image you have posted, there is no "M" and "A". Can you explain please!

Would this system apply to an xf? My ute is letting in a lot of cold air into the passenger side footwell when travelling regardless of if I have the switch on fresh air or recirculating. The control lever seems to be opening and closing with the car idling but don't think it is holding it shut once up to road speed. I thought maybe the air is forcing the flap open as I travel forward so maybe the vacuum isn't strong enough to keep the flap shut. Any thoughts?

Seems to be a common problem. Dan (slo247) and I were just talking about this same issue in my ZL. He's had it too.!

Cold air in the Passenger side footwell, I mean....

Cold air in the passanger side foot well will be a broken fresh air recirculate arm on the vac controller. Bastard things are a broken more often than not from my experience with xd xe xf's. Dash out job to fix it to.

Try and find one that's not broken or glue back together with rapid fix and a little piece of sheet metal to reinforce it. That's what I did anyway.

Hmmmm, is it the flap that is behind the glove box? I watched mine slowly open and close but it seemed sluggish. I could see the whole lever coming from the actuator and there isn't any broken pieces. Will be busy for a couple of days so I might have to get back to it later in the week.

Hmmmm, is it the flap that is behind the glove box? I watched mine slowly open and close but it seemed sluggish. I could see the whole lever coming from the actuator and there isn't any broken pieces. Will be busy for a couple of days so I might have to get back to it later in the week.

That's the one. The flap has a foam seal normally but it will be crumbly and long gone by now. Could be a vac leak somewhere. Some Xf's had an xtra vac canister in the front plenum and some don't. Check the rubber boot that connects the hard nylon vac line to the motor because they split and leak.

Yeah most of the foam has broken down and fallen off, it sounds like you're spot on. I was lucky enough with my xf sedan to flick the flap open and closed a few times by hand and some stray foam fell out and it worked perfect again but my ute is being more difficult.

Is it this doohickie that Mr polson was talking about.???

http://www.ozfalcon.com.au/index.php?/topic/3553-where-is-this-cold-air-coming-from/

That's the one. Xf control valve has two vac lines and xe has one. The box and flap are the same. The little black lever that the control arm connects to snaps.

Bear, you might have just solved my problem. I could see the arm from the actuator but couldn't see the smaller arm that is broken here. I'm guessing mine might be moving a small amount but when pressure gets on it, it moves on the broken arm