slydog

Weber DCO-e carb Air Box

So after much time the air box for the carbs has raised it's head again. This time by Burns tuner who wanted to see a air box on LS powered wagon to stabilize air temps. So as no one in Australia that I know of sells a unit like this doe's anyone know of any contacts or a possible make model that could be the base make such a unit.

Here's Top End Performances version...

6-cyl_airbox_zps5ilmowrw.jpg

Any ideas thow em @ me chaps.

Rob

Ohhhh and the noise is awesome,it really is.Like it actually makes passengers laugh with joy and surprise when your really stand on it. It's rather addictive also. But if it makes it faster I'm happy to forgo that.  

I'd love to drive a old Ferrari or Lambo just to listen to why the Italians made Weber carbs. It would be real music.  

that is pretty close to what I want to make as the induction for the turbo delivery.  I am sure if I had the measurements and spacing pattern for the webbers (well really just one carb would do and the space to the next one) I could draw that up on CAD.  add enough for a fold top and bottom, bend it up so you had a C channel. 

Then you would need a bit of 5" exhaust tubing (common truck size) cut in half, or on a slight angle on the band saw for the outside curve.  end closest to the firewall would be a 5" 90 degree mandrel and the intake end would be a pit of plate with a hole cut to the size opening you wanted. 

This could be incorporated in the carb face/ top and bottom auto cad drawing and folded on the break at the same time as the top and bottom. 

All up probably $100 at the laser cutter and $60 at the exhaust shop and then weld her up - or get fancy and tig it.  You could even incorporate some of my budget 'bellmouths' into the manifold face.  Couple of 3mm tabs welded where the carb bolt pattern is.  Drill and tap them and put in some sexy button head cap screws and job done. 

Like the 'meacat' says - symbols..........

Yes close to what I had in mind Ando but I'd love to keep as much weight off the front of the carbs as possible so plastic or glass before metal I think. Id actually use the trumpets it has on em and mount the box to the carb face with the trumpets out in the box. Seems to be how the fast boys do it.

But as usual your thinking fast...  

Making something would be to hard at all, just making a good seal against the tubes would be my only concern but that's not really that hard.

What if you made a box and seal it off to the bonnet. Use something like an xw gt scoop to feed it into the top of the box. That way you keep that glorious noise but also control air temps.

Making something would be to hard at all, just making a good seal against the tubes would be my only concern but that's not really that hard.

What if you made a box and seal it off to the bonnet. Use something like an xw gt scoop to feed it into the top of the box. That way you keep that glorious noise but also control air temps.

I do have the reverse cowl still for that but Ideally I'd use a cut down pro Stock scoop like Geddes makes or Jerry Bickel and have a glass bonnet and scoop for race. But that would be the rich no bills Rob not liney with a family and all that comes with that gig.

A air box hides it all a bit better which is a plus for more regular use and keeps noise down. Might even fool the po po with a box. Win win if it goe's faster but that is the question isn't it.     

Man I will make it out of 1mm and it would weigh fek all.  If you are really concerned I could add a custom bracket - Like the one I'm making for mine, to the bottom plate and you can attach that to your engine mounts or the old coil mount.  piece of piss my bro.

I'm only making mine out of 3mm steel because it will have to put up with 17psi of boost.  yours being aspirated it can be made of 1mm no worries at all. 

Could even run it through the bead roller and put some nice half moon rolls in there.

Wont the thin plate reverberate more which may actually affect airflow as well as increase vibration noise/make it easier? If you used 3mm ally you would have the same weight as thin steel but have thicker wall.

I know you have the reverse cowl bonnet but if you used something like the middle scoop it would be much less obvious especially on a white car. Plus it would feed air all along the open top box which you could even radius the side against the shock tower to feed into the trumpets.

71311.jpg

It would be pretty rigid as there's buggar all distance between the carbs and it will get no load just vacuum thru it.

I'll actually weigh it one day Jase just FFS.

I understand Ryan and yes it would make it easier but it sure is ugly bro :)  

Sly you were going to paint your car shit brown and your now worried its going to look like crap?!? I do get where your coming from thought as I still havent seen an offset scoop for a 6 that I like.

How much room do you have between the tower and the trumpets as that will most likely be the limiting factor on what you can use. Is the enough room to run the setup in the op?

1mm with some beads rolled through it would be way strong ryan.  The bead roller 'work hardens' the sheet like you would not believe.  Like you can not even hammer flatten the bead once it is rolled.  I did the mini seat crossmember in 1mm and ran some beads around the vertical sections.  Engineer passed it straight up saying it was great use of the material and super strong.

But like Sly said - it is only seeing vacuum.  Even with his super breathing heads, I doubt that it will suck it in.  

+1 for no bonnet scoop.  Keep it all hidden and  stealth like.  And really what would this weigh when made of steel 4-5kgs.  I excrete things heavier than that.