hal351

detailing

Holy crap that shits expensive! I for one am not sold on any of the paint protection stuff. Quality paint that's regularly maintained should hold up better in my opinion than something that's been paint protected once and not touched for the next couple of years.

Agreed with the complimentary blowie at that price!

I have a friend who bought this high end stuff and it is very good. But personally I can get the same finish using the right polishes such as my favourite meguiars. It's all in your technique and skill with the buffer and applying the polishes!

You can get a top quality job using even the most basic brands of paints these days.

I used Protec for years and managed to get a great finish colour sanding with 800, 1500 and 2000 respectively. I used Juice polish and wax to get this kind of finish on an XD ESP Ghia.

P1100623-1.jpg

Ok, so as some of you may well know I have a small car detailing business on the side of my regular job. The best advice I can give is " use your chosen products and use them regularly". There are a lot of pluses and minuses for coatings, personally I'd never suggest a coating to someone who is into cars. I do however think your plain crazy if you don't apply a wax to your paintwork. You really can't go wrong with a wax that contains carnauba.

Bump.

So, I finally got around to washing the ZL. I know, I know,........3 weeks .......yadda, yadda,.....been busy !!

As I'm wringing out the chamois, the white paint that used to be on the roof, is now running down the street like cow's milk.

PO said he wasn't really a car guy, so I'm guessing he never waxed it. My question is....what would be the best method to stop the paint oxidising and seal it??  Cutting compound?? Carnuba Wax?? Hand rub or polisher??  (keep it clean :rolleyes: )

Never wash it again works for me. Owned a red 60 series landcruiser for 2 1/2 years that would do the same, washed it twice including the wash to take pics to sell it. Current xe wagon hasn't seen water yet and it been over 9 months. Washing a car is over rated, the dirt and dust collects the road grime and bugs so if you go to sell it will be just like when you bought it :D

Bump.

So, I finally got around to washing the ZL. I know, I know,........3 weeks .......yadda, yadda,.....been busy !!

As I'm wringing out the chamois, the white paint that used to be on the roof, is now running down the street like cow's milk.

PO said he wasn't really a car guy, so I'm guessing he never waxed it. My question is....what would be the best method to stop the paint oxidising and seal it??  Cutting compound?? Carnuba Wax?? Hand rub or polisher??  (keep it clean :rolleyes: )

Heya Bear, if the top layer was just oxidised then the paint that didn't come off should be ok, just check the condition of it, maybe a pic if ya can get a good close one?

Cows milk doesn't sound good. lol. I have heard of guys putting wax on and leaving it to let it soak into bad paint and bring it up better.

I buy the Meguires clay bar/compound pack, has good wash, clay bar and clay bar detailer spray (used when clay barrring), compound, polish and wax.

About Fiddy bucks and comes with micro fibre cloth. is a good decent kit for bringing ya rides paint back.

Wash with gold series wash.

Then a Clay bar will get all ya contaminants out of the paint and prevents scratching when doing the rest.

Then a compound, hand is better unless you have orbital polisher with sponge pads. get all the crap off it and let the good paint shine. (Normal polishers leave swirls)

Then Polish it up by hand.

Then the final wax by hand.

There are better products, but for a daily, this stuff brings em up schmicko.

Jack.