mltezr

t5 into an xd

I currently have an el xr6 manual and recently purchased an xd 3.3L to use as a daily. however the xd is the 3 speed auto. So I am thinking of putting the t5 from the xr6 into the xd.

My question is what would I need?

I have read that I might need the bellhousing from an xf, however apparently the xf are the same up to the eb, and since the gearbox im looking at putting in is from an el xr6, does anyone know what I would need?

Cheers.

You need to modify the XD gear box cross member for the T5 to bolt in.

The XF gear box cross member dont fit, they are to short. 

Ive got pics some where of it but cant find them right now.

Think of an EA gear box cross member with XD cross member ends welded to it and presto. 

You need a pedal box of cause and the small clutch cable support that bolts to the firewall,

yours being an auto has a blanking plate over the hole.

Clutch and a cable and you should be right.

Oh yeah and as polson says you need a bell housing off a XF T5.

And a new flywheel, and bolts.

Sweet.

I was thinking of even puting the diff from the el xr6 in.

If the 3.3 still won't be able to pull 5th gear, I was thinking of puting the 4.1 from an Xe I have. So basically the 4.1 from an Xe, a t5 gearbox and the diff from an el xr6.

I have a factory 3.3 4spd xe wagon and I cant understand why everyone says they have no power. Granted I wouldnt say it has heaps of power but mine is completely standard and it holds it own. There is a slight possiblity that my car has had a small camshaft upgrade as I bought it off a guy who bought it off a guy but the cam would be no bigger than a towing cam. And the fact that I have standard exhaust manifold and drinking straw size exhaust it would kill any benefit of the cam. A standard 4.1 wont set any speed records either but will have a little more poke than the 3.3

I would say if you just want to have a cheap runner then stick with the 3.3 and if you want put the 5 speed in as the auto would be killing the power and adding to fuel usage. The parts required has been covered above.

Unless the diff is from a ute or wagon you cant use it in your xd as all E series sedans are coil spring and your xd is leaf spring like the utes and wagons. But if you want the lsd and gears go and buy a complete open centre e series diff for $50 from a ute or wagon and swap the lsd and gears over

Yeah everyone goes on about red motor 202s in Toranas, etc and they're not even the best red motor. I reckon 186s are nicer.

I drove a 2M-powered Crown for a while which was a 2.3 litre six. Even when it was clapped out and running on 4-1/2 cylinders with Toyoglide auto behind it, it still managed to reach 80 mph.

Cubes help to make horses but only up to a point. You start going backwards as stroke gets longer

So 3.3 litres of crossy goodness is nothing to sneeze at and I'd love to see what someone can squeeze out of an NA one screaming to 7 grand with a bunch of triples strapped to it

Yeah everyone goes on about red motor 202s in Toranas, etc and they're not even the best red motor. I reckon 186s are nicer.

I drove a 2M-powered Crown for a while which was a 2.3 litre six. Even when it was clapped out and running on 4-1/2 cylinders with Toyoglide auto behind it, it still managed to reach 80 mph.

Cubes help to make horses but only up to a point. You start going backwards as stroke gets longer

So 3.3 litres of crossy goodness is nothing to sneeze at and I'd love to see what someone can squeeze out of an NA one screaming to 7 grand with a bunch of triples strapped to it

Sounds like your up for a challenge Gerg.

3.3s are dangerously slow haha, i could never bring my self to drive one on a daily basis. If i was you i would try to buy a cheap XF with a 4.1 and T5 and transplant all the running gear into your XD. XF cross flows are much nicer and better on fuel with the weber carby.