Sign in to follow this  
ricktewagon

Turbo 250 X-Flow. No Power and Clicking

As the title suggests, my Turbo 250 Crossy has suddenly developed the symptoms of no Power and a quiet but hard intermittent Clicking/ banging, only under acceleration. Like it will idle good, beautiful, rev it a bit and the clicking comes, it has no power on the road but if just changing down and letting it rev a bit, no noise. I haven't driven it since it happened. I wasn't driving it hard at the time but do occasionally. but the engines only done 2000K's +/-. Its a fairly powerful car but now it's just absolutely dead, porbably drove it 25-30K's home after the noise developed. Didn't seem to get worse or louder. Thanks in advance.

What compression are you running? How much boost are you running? What fuel are you running? Is it possible the sound is pinging? Have you checked the head gasket?

Compression - waiting for a reply from the guy who built the motor, Boost - 16psi Fuel- was always BP98 but on this tank I put some Mobil 98in.... Havent checked head gasket.

16psi is high for pump fuel unless the compression is quite low and/or fordged pistons are used. Are the piston's dished or flat top? I have known people to get better dyno results using BP98 so going to mobil may have made it ping and caused an issue.

I don't have a boost gauge at all. Would need to plug the laptop in & check it out. It was just pretty sudden to. Yeah it seems relative to acceleration. Idle sounds fine, sounds like it's going to die getting up to 80K's (just from noise from the engine) but whenever your foots of the gas it sounds okay. Even changing down with revs sounds okay. Ill check out the Compressor Wheel in the next day or two. Pistons not sure, am waiting for replys from the guy who built the engine. Nice Crossy though, made 253KW. Yeah it was tuned on BP and the tuner said don't run it on anything else but I was real low and close to Mobil...

Had a look today, all the Cooler pipes look fine, Im going to pull the Rocker cover tomorrow and have a look sounds like its coming from under there at the back somewhere. Compression is 9.0:1

Some more questions for you

Is the valve train standard? like standard valve spring, standard valves and standard rockers?

Does the engine have a "decompression head gasket"(extra thick head gasket)? Does the engine have 2 head gaskets to acheive the desired compression ratio?

How often did your drive it hard and what rpm's would the engine see?

When it was rebuilt was standard parts used like lifters, camshaft, pistons?

Have you checked the timing?

Have you rechecked the head bolt tension? Should always been done within a 1000kms of running a rebuilt engine.

Has normal Head Gasket. Has stock Rockers but better springs & Valves. I work a month on month off roster so In about a year its done 2000K's. Never revved over 6. Camshaft is custom to the fuck, bottom end is lightened balanced etc. Unfortunately I didn't build the engine & the guy who did cant remember fuck all. Havent check Timing or head bolt tension. Ill check what I can as soon as I get a chance. Unfortunately in the process of moving & the Mrs is about to pop our second kid so wont have much time to play with the car.

I only ask so many queations cause it may trigger an answer from yourself or someone else. So here's some more question :-)

Do you know the camshaft specs, specifically the total lift of the cam?

When you say there's a clicking noise, does it have a rhythm to the sound? How fast is the sound? Is it a metallic sound like metal on metal?

Mate hope the move is an easy one. Hope that everything goes well with the birth. Best of luck on all fronts

IMG_02551_zpsebf9661f.jpg

IMG_02541_zps5a808322.jpg

Theres my Cam specs & Pushrods I pulled today, all looked like the bottom one except Cylinder 6 Exhaust which was the top one. Length looks the same but maybe a mis-matched Pushrod? Pushrods dont look bent (that I can see) Can I determine Pushrod length for new ones by the Cam Specs? No real rhythm to the sound at idle, but if I revved it up you could hear it was definitely internal. It didnt wanna drive, but changing down gears or with no acceleration sounded normal. Springs, Lifters & Cam are all performance items from Cam-tech. Just normal Rockers & Pushrods.

Have done as Lord suggested and tested the wheel/shaft for play? What sort of turbo is it? Does it have internal or external wastegate? Squeeze your piping as it may have a split or crack. Also tighten all clamps as one maybe loose but looks ok. With checking your pushrods, roll them on a piece of glass. When checking the length it needs to be accurate as I had a worn rocker causing a racket and it was worn no more than 3 thou.

Chinese T70 Turbo External Wastegate, Pushrods good but when back together & tightened to spec no.6 Exhaust Rocker is Loose as a goose, tried different rocker & Push rod, same. Could this mean Lifter is fucked? uploading a video now

did you try a different rocker post as well as the rocker itself?  There is something not right there.  You will need to check that the rocker bolt is not actually bottoming out in the head before it gets tight - i.e. the thread is too long.  If you remove the rocker bolt and have a look at the last couple of threads they will tell a story.  if they are shiny and looked pulled the bolt is to long? 

The fulcrum seems to sit still while the rocker wiggles, that tells me it's all tight up top.

Could be a collapsed lifter, which is (sort of) reparable, just need a way of getting it out through the pushrod gallery. If it's burred over on the face, you're in a world of poo.

Also could well be a wiped lobe and/or stuffed lifter. My Clevo did this exact same thing early on and I had to do cam and lifters.