jca25

Heater Core Replacement

Here is a bit of a rundown on the replacement of the heater core. It was done on an XD so could change slightly between models. I didn't take the photos when i pulled it apart so these are only when it was put back in.

DSC_0073_zps563e22ec.jpg

All the screws around the outside need to be undone. It is also stuck together with a sicaflex type glue.

DSC_0071_zpsbcb7dfa5.jpg

This is the inside of the heater box, there is normally an air con evaporator on the rhs but im not running air con any more so its been pulled out. The heater core just pulls out of the box

DSC_0068_zpsc9183adb.jpgDSC_0069_zpse1a839e0.jpg

The insulator rubber just slips off and on over the top

DSC_0062_zps0a2d979b.jpg

DSC_0070_zpsd81174c1.jpg

Note the one pipe that has the curve in it. It needs to go to the top of the heater box when put back in.

1407459361251_zps14ed98ae.jpg

While you have it apart you might as well refoam the flaps. I used a 10mm square that i got from spotlight with a spray on glue

DSC_0073_zps563e22ec.jpg

When putting it all back together just use a bead of silicone to seal it

Wet floors? mine just pissed water into the engine bay? I did not know mine was leaking but it always used heaps of water then one day I seen the water running out of a hole in the firewall :(

I have been dreading doing this job in my xf sedan. Can anyone tell me how long it would take to remove the dash and heater box to do it. I'm reasonably handy on the tools but patience is my biggest downfall. I need to get it done so I can drive the car more often than I do, got 45days on my club rego and didn't drive it more than 8 times last year.

An hour to two hours for removal.

Better to remove with two people. Windscreen demister trim out, screws under window undone. A really long Phillips head is handy for that.

Two bolts in the middle of the dash in front of the console (which needs to be removed) and two bolts either side of the dash behind each kick panel.

Steering column needs to be removed or dropped onto the seat (two nuts under the trim panel for it).

Undo as many plugs as you can before removing dash, but some you need the dash half out to unplug. Don't stress too much about which one came from where as they all are unique.

Heater box is disconnect hoses, A/C if applicable and undo the nuts holding it in from the firewall in the engine bay. One is right in the middle of the car from memory too.

Cheers, I did read a sticky somewhere either on here or xfalcon which made it look simpler. I've got a mate keen to help me and he has pulled a few out of cars for his speedway cars so maybe we should rip into it one weekend.

Let us know how it goes - I may need to do mine at some point... Dreading it.

Wanna know how many beers the task will require.

Its not as bad as every1 thinks main thing is take your time pulling the dash out and putting back in so you make sure you get all the bolts so you don't break any of the dash as they are getting harder to find in gc so they don't rattle 

Its not as bad as every1 thinks main thing is take your time pulling the dash out and putting back in so you make sure you get all the bolts so you don't break any of the dash as they are getting harder to find in gc so they don't rattle 

Really well said here. Take pics or video as you go along so you have a reference to go back to when your putting it back together.

You'll be fine, just go easy and take your time.